Any possible way to fix this crappy card reader?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by Forstride, May 8, 2010.

1. Forstride
    OP

Member Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

United States
    I found this old microSD card reader (The one that comes with R4s) while looking for a microSD to SD adapter, and I remembered it didn't work. I need to try and fix it somehow, since I want to update my R4 with Wood (I don't have any other flash card at the moment, so I have to make due with it) and put more games on it.

The problem with it is that it doesn't turn on when plugged in to my USB port. The little red light doesn't come on, and the device isn't recognized at all. I took the outer shell off, so if there is any way I can fix it, please let me know.

2. penthaler

Member penthaler GBAtemp Fan

Czech Republic
    Do you know a tool called HAMMER?
    Just use it, because it is the only way to fix your usb reader.

JUST KIDDING

If you are not an electrician or so (dont know how to call it), you can do nothing with it.
    It is made in china - not so good item to use [​IMG]

3. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    I have that same adapter, even if it does work it performs terribly with sloooow transfer speeds.
    Not like the adapter with my original R4DS years back, no light on it but works like a charm, been using it for years!

Beats me if you can fix it, see if you can buy an adapter somewhere, they're cheap.

4. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    The easiest way to fix it is by buying an actual card reader. I realize this isn't an answer to the question you asked, but it's really what you ought to do. Even if you get the crappy thing to work, it will be crappy and unreliable.

5. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    My USB adapter that came with the R4 is working flawlessly.

In fact, it's always worked a hell of a lot better than the SanDisk 5-in-1 Reader and has no problem with read/write speed.
    There was a thread with a link to a wiki that listed MicroSD cards their class and tested speeds, and my class 6 (though the R4 MicroSD USB reader) worked flawlessly and had one of the better speeds on the list.

6. CONADATUAMAE

Newcomer CONADATUAMAE Newbie

Portugal
    I have the usb reader you can see in this pic, even though I bought a R4 clone (http://www.ndslr4.com/) and it also died ages ago. From what I looked down over the web, it's a common problem. The only thing to do is to actually get a decent card reader.
    If you're a cheapfuck as me, you can always insert the microSD in your cellphone and use it as a reader/writer. It's sloooow as hell but'll do until you manage a new solution.

[​IMG]

7. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    I have both an older and newer one.
    Without a doubt, the older one surpasses the newer one, which works like crap.
    [​IMG]