Any possibilty of using Gamepad as a controller in vWii?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Robfozz, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Robfozz
    OP

Robfozz GBAtemp Smartass

Apr 19, 2014
    United States
    Onett
    I think it would be really awesome if someone can do something to make it possible to use the gamepad as a controller because right now it only shows video. Apparently though, when you press a button on the gamepad it detects it and shows a message on the screen saying something like gamepad not supported or something. Maybe controlling actual Wii games is a stretch but emulators and other homebrew applications would be really cool.
    Is something like this possible?

2. Marionumber1

Marionumber1 GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 7, 2010
    United States

It's not possible right now, but it would be if and only if Nintendo decides to add that feature. When the Wii U switches into vWii mode, it locks off access to the DRH hardware (the controller that handles communication with the Gamepad). Video only works because during the switch to vWii mode, it configures the DMCU (an 8-bit CPU that emulates the Wii's Video Interface) to output to the Gamepad as well as the screen. However, vWii software running on the PPC or ARM can't access the DRH, and could only do so if Nintendo decided to not lock access to it.

3. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    Gamepad uses wifi (or something very similar) to communicate.

Wii, including the Wii mode on Wii U, only knows how to talk to controllers via bluetooth.

So very unlikely to ever happen.

4. joepassive

joepassive GBAtemp Regular

Aug 31, 2012
    Iceland
    i have an idea but i dunno if it's possible.
    to create an adapter wire from the gamepad to the wiimote, and let it play where it can as a classic controller.
    they made one for the PS controller so why not gamepad?
    i understand thats different but still..

5. TheChield

TheChield Ugly Troll

Jul 10, 2013
    France
  6. Wena

Wena Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 21, 2013
    Cote d'Ivoire
    PoblaciĆ³n Chorrillos, Valparaiso, Chile
    someone should do that inside the gamepad (fuse a classic controller inside)