Hacking Emulator Any plans for Flycast to be updated on Psvita?

GaiusSavarin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
Another update might take a while before it arrives, since the developer of the port said it would mostly depend if the main core of the emulator is updated, which seems it is not currently being worked on

AllanFF

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

AllanFF

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well, the Libreto guys, say that they'll be releasing a new version of Retroarch on 26/06/2021.

I hope they implement latest changes to Flycast.

Actually I don't even know from when their Flycast version core was based.

Chris_Dai_Gyakuten_Saiban

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Do you mean original Flycast on Github ?

Because it has been updated consistently the past few months.

Link: https://github.com/flyinghead/flycast/commits/master
No I was talking about this one: VITA / PS TV - flycast-vita | PSX-Place

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Well, the Libreto guys, say that they'll be releasing a new version of Retroarch on 26/06/2021.

I hope they implement latest changes to Flycast.

Actually I don't even know from when their Flycast version core was based.
I hope that they do add it and that we can play more games with this version

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well for those who came back here and feel dissapointed, hold it, from Rinnegatamante himself on his youtube you may still be able to find the comment here and to find the comment where he confirms that he will work on it still is/should be the first one on top, at the time of typing.

Reactions: tommikinder

peter8

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Tested this emulator with the game Carrier and Illbleed on PSTV. (used discjuggler cdi format rip version for burning discs)
The framerate is to slow and gameplay is unplayable. But I had play some of the beginning maps and there was no texture error or glitch, the graphics are mostly perfect. It only need to code the update for a better framerate and than lets test it again. Since the textures are perfect it shows how good this emulator is ported to the vita system. ! speakless wow , and thanks. I will try later GDI untouched images. Hopefully this will be updated. Otherwise it depends on the community.

ital

Trophies
XP
Does the Vita actually have enough raw power to emulate the Dreamcast? When you look at the specs of most other emu devices that struggle and compare what can actually emulate it smoothly it seems the Vita is underpowered in that respect.

Would like to see it though as those colorful DC games would look so vivid on the OLED screen. A perfect match of two underappreciated platforms.

chocoboss

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yes the vita is not really powerfull but look at the amazing works that has been done .. We can use android game now .. with a lot of work it could be doable

peter8

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Should be possible, the Vita has enough power for that. The idea of the dreamcast back in the years was a 3dfx console 'Katana' (openGL based VitaGL). The Vita can handle it. Its all perfect, only the framrate is just to slow. It depends on the console and on the coder, truly has the Vita better ports than the PS3 console. DC is a 128bit console, but works different like PS2 or XboX or N64 with expansion. And other example is DaedulusX64 its not working good on the Vita, but a other N64 emulator works great on Wii that has less power than a Vita. Its all depends on the coder and the console himself.

edit:

The coder rinnegatamante is powerfull and has the knowledge that we dont have. He is currently prove himself with coding Doom 3 PC version to the VITA system. In this fact Dreamcast emulation should be kindergarten. He ports so many stuff in the same time, so we have to wait when he comes back for this project. I think he will find out with Doom 3 what is the limit for the Vita of porting games. This is profe of concept but better than we can imagine. The most trouble console was Sega Saturn, currently only the PS4 is able to emulate it. I am wonder what for magic has the vita for saturn ?
This emulator is near perfect, would be sad when rinnegatamante stop it to fix the framerate. Maybe we need 15-20fps more thats all. No graphics fix needed so far for testing. We could play with this one the alternate version from Soldier of Fortune or Unreal Tournament without porting the PC version.

Last edited by peter8,
Reactions: chocoboss

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
At this point in time the real issue is that it's not receiving much updates instead of the Vita being weak. I just hope that we can see more updates when the developer Rinnegatamante can do so. Also thanks for taking an interest in resurrecting this thread I almost forgot about it.

Reactions: _TheGuy_

ital

Trophies
XP
Is there a bounty for this? If we all threw in 10 bucks I'm sure it would help motivate devs and show how much interest there is.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"