Hardware Any One Tried The Digitizers On Aliexpress.

Xandroz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
hey im getting a full housing from there and saw the digitizers are in the range of 6-10 dollars and labeled original.

anyone tried any of these cause mine is pretty scuffed and saw replacemnt video on youtube not looking that hard, i can manage it.

what im getting is front and back housing with joy cons housing as well as analogue sticks :D

pretty much everything except the boards etc..

Sonansune

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
just searched. only found outer glass(plastic) digitizer bundle, and it more around 30 USD.

edit: ah... there are much cheaper one outside of the "screen" section. I highly doubt these are original. but it should be usable:)

Last edited by Sonansune,

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yo Xandroz, so you decided to fully fix it. I have no clue on the digitizers, but like I said on the other thread sometimes cheap gets expensive...

I also paid quite a damn lot for a Sony Xperia Z2 screen replacement (almost 80€ back then) on ebay that said original, but its not, the digitizer sadly is locking and I have to restart it, also I see that the chip on the ribbon cable is slightly different than the original.

Maybe someone who bought a cheap digitizer replacement for switch that works perfectly could post the link for the sale here...

ps: How much did you pay for the console?

Reactions: Xandroz

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd imagine the skill level is quite high to replace the glass+digitizer/cables on such a device. Or does the cable management make it pretty simple and straight forward?

And there are lower and higher quality digitizers, so i'm interested in other people's experiences as well. Be good to know should I want to buy a messed up switch and fix it up.

@guily6669 what do you mean by " cheap gets expensive"?:blink:

If you buy nothing but cheap stuff, you wind up spending more since they may not work correctly/fail/etc and you have to replace them again. (pretty sure that's what they meant)

Last edited by osaka35,

Sonansune

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'd imagine the skill level is quite high to replace the glass+digitizer/cables on such a device. Or does the cable management make it pretty simple and straight forward?

And there are lower and higher quality digitizers, so i'm interested in other people's experiences as well. Be good to know should I want to buy a messed up switch and fix it up.

If you buy nothing but cheap stuff, you wind up spending more since they may not work correctly/fail/etc and you have to replace them again. (pretty sure that's what they meant)
according to ifixit, digitizer and display are two separate units. a heat gun + several screw drivers. easy fix

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@guily6669 what do you mean by " cheap gets expensive"?:blink:
I already talked about it on other thread... 4 example for my Nokia N95 I bought a LCD replacement for like 4€ so cheap, when I assembled it the quality was so bad and mostly pinky colors that I just thrown it into the garbage.

I have also had problems on cheap digitizers for phones that dont track the fingers very well, are non responsive or lock in comparison to the original (some also claim that its original replacement when most of the times it has different parts, logos...).

Its a matter of luck, some cheap ones are really perfect while some are a crap and even paying a lot like on my Sony Xperia Z2 doesnt even mean we get quality and the seller also said it was original, but the logos behind the screen are nothing like the original, the touch locks and the chip built-in the ribbon cable is different, however I can't deny that the LCD looks exactly like the original Sony screen in terms of quality, but has dead pixels ;)

Reactions: Sonansune

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
according to ifixit, digitizer and display are two separate units. a heat gun + several screw drivers. easy fix
They are indeed separate units. But the digitizer has a cable that has to be run somewhere. Usually it's a huge pain hooking it back up in most devices. That and it can be tricky to get the adhesive heated up just enough to separate the glass layer from the LCD layer without damaging the LCD. Triply so if the glass is a bit broken and could come off in pieces.

I'll have to watch some videos and see =]

What are digitizers?

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk
Squished between the glass layer and the LCD layer is the digitizer. It's the part that senses your touch and relays that information to the device.

Last edited by osaka35,

Sonansune

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They are indeed separate units. But the digitizer has a cable that has to be run somewhere. Usually it's a huge pain hooking it back up in most devices. That and it can be really tricky to get the adhesive heated up just enough to separate the glass layer from the LCD layer without damaging the LCD. Triply so if the device is a bit broken and could come off in pieces.

I'll have to watch some videos and see =]

Squished between the glass layer and the LCD layer is the digitizer. It's the part that senses your touch and relays that information to the device.
quote from ifixit
"
  • Unlike a lot of modern touchscreen devices, the digitizer on the Switch is not fused to the display, meaning you can replace the two parts independently. Thanks for keeping repairability in mind Nintendo!

• The digitizer is adhered by a double-sided adhesive strip that runs around the perimeter of the display. With a bit of heating and prying, we manage to coax the digitizer off.
"
I remember the replacement for my hw mate 8 screen.... the adhesive runs the whole screen... switch in the other hand is much easier. digitizer is attached on the frame!

Last edited by Sonansune,

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When they are separated 4 me they are easy to fix... On my Sony Xperia Z2 which is waterproof I used my mom high power hairdryer and it wasn't much hard to open... However sadly the touch is fused to the LCD so I bought the phone used with broken touch glass, but the LCD was fully working and sadly to separate and glue a new touch requires heavy equipment and not many ppl do that service, here no one does it so I bought like I said a new LCD for my Xperia Z2 which was expensive and sadly the touch locks :(

Last edited by guily6669,
Reactions: osaka35

Xandroz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
i got it for 100 dollars guilly switch and bomberman game, bomberman alone retails in my country for 25 dollars used so said anything better than nothing, was hoping for a zelda but anything.
it came without anything, managed to get a charger for 25 euros of amazon, and wasnt willing to change anything but the back case as its easy to swap and change and very cheap 6 dollars better than the beaten up back i have. but then did aome tests and the right analogue keeps pressing down all the time, so decided to throw both out. here is my thoughts on the repairs:

front and back cover: 5 dollars
Digitizer(Low Priority) 6 dollars
metal Part for joycon as they are loose: 3.5 dollars
2 analogue For joy Cons: 8 dollars
joy con shells: 5 dollars

so we are talking about 30 dollar range add to that 30 dollar charger. i guess 160 for a switch is not bad, i get your point i can go buy a used for 230-240 but hey if i can save a few quid not bad, and i already own a 1.0 system so this is mainly for test purpose and might try team xecuter chip in it and go online even. if i end up keeping it i might sell the charger and sell bomberman to fund the repairs :D 100 dollar for a tablet with joycons sounds like a deal :D

digitizer replacement is fairly easy with some hot air but im afraid its gonna be rubbish :D so i might end up just installing a screen protector. lets see how things go

Last edited by Xandroz,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol