Hacking Any Nintendo DS Emulators in the making?

Vater Unser

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2004
Messages
2,184
Trophies
0
Location
Pen Island
Website
Visit site
XP
109
Country
Gambia, The
Trolly said:
Out of curiosity, is that because of the hardware, or because it would just be difficult to do and no-one can be bothered to do it.
It's because of any reason you could think of, so just give up your hope now
lecture.gif
 

harrybuttox

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2008
Messages
277
Trophies
0
XP
237
Country
United States
It's possible, and the Wii does have the capability to do it thanks to the wiimote. Just I don't see it happening for a long time....I do think Nintendo will officially release a DS player of some sort kinda like the Game Boy Player for the Gamecube.
 

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Joined
Feb 19, 2008
Messages
2,629
Trophies
0
Age
36
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
1,048
Country
United States
harrybuttox said:
It's possible, and the Wii does have the capability to do it thanks to the wiimote. Just I don't see it happening for a long time....I do think Nintendo will officially release a DS player of some sort kinda like the Game Boy Player for the Gamecube.

That won't likely happen since the Nintendo DS is Nintendos biggest money maker on the hand held market. Why allow people to play Nintendo DS games on the Wii and take away sales from the Nintendo DS?


At any rate, at this current time, its impossible to emulate the Nintendo DS on the Wii. For one thing, emulation on for the Nintendo DS on the PC is far from perfect and the best emulator on the market is closed source so theres no way of porting it over. Also the Nintendo DS doesn't scape well, it looks fine on a small screen but when you stretch the image, everything gets all choppy and distorted.

Also how would the two screens work on the Wii? Even if you have the two screens on top of each other like a split screen effect, it would throw off the touch screen portion of the DS and make using the touch screen impossible. Not only that, how do you suppose to use the touch screen and play the game at the same time? Yo would have to swing the wii mote around to use the touch screen, but how will you have access to the buttons and directional pad while doing so? This along would make many games unplayable. Also what about the games that require a microphone to play as well?

At any rate, Nintendo DS emulation on the Wii will most likely never happen at all due to all the problems listed above and then sme. If you wannt want to play the Nintendo DS, buy a Nintendo DS or use a PC emulator.
 

LagunaCid

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
May 14, 2008
Messages
370
Trophies
0
XP
72
Country
Canada
Narin said:
harrybuttox said:
It's possible, and the Wii does have the capability to do it thanks to the wiimote. Just I don't see it happening for a long time....I do think Nintendo will officially release a DS player of some sort kinda like the Game Boy Player for the Gamecube.

That won't likely happen since the Nintendo DS is Nintendos biggest money maker on the hand held market. Why allow people to play Nintendo DS games on the Wii and take away sales from the Nintendo DS?


At any rate, at this current time, its impossible to emulate the Nintendo DS on the Wii. For one thing, emulation on for the Nintendo DS on the PC is far from perfect and the best emulator on the market is closed source so theres no way of porting it over. Also the Nintendo DS doesn't scape well, it looks fine on a small screen but when you stretch the image, everything gets all choppy and distorted.

Also how would the two screens work on the Wii? Even if you have the two screens on top of each other like a split screen effect, it would throw off the touch screen portion of the DS and make using the touch screen impossible. Not only that, how do you suppose to use the touch screen and play the game at the same time? Yo would have to swing the wii mote around to use the touch screen, but how will you have access to the buttons and directional pad while doing so? This along would make many games unplayable. Also what about the games that require a microphone to play as well?

At any rate, Nintendo DS emulation on the Wii will most likely never happen at all due to all the problems listed above and then sme. If you wannt want to play the Nintendo DS, buy a Nintendo DS or use a PC emulator.
A DS Emulator on the Wii would work exactly like a PC emulator, with the same problems and whatnot. The scenarios you listed there are also problems for the PC version.
 

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Joined
Feb 19, 2008
Messages
2,629
Trophies
0
Age
36
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
1,048
Country
United States
LagunaCid said:
A DS Emulator on the Wii would work exactly like a PC emulator, with the same problems and whatnot. The scenarios you listed there are also problems for the PC version.
Wrong, everything I mentioned has no problems on the PC or are easily fixed. The PC has little problems playing Nintendo DS games. Emulators keep the same screen aspect ratio of the real Nintendo DS and doesn't need to stretch out the screens to make them playable to viewable. Because of this, it has no problems with choppyness due to scaling or worrying about the corrct offsets for the touch screen X and Y locations.

Also there are already several emulators in the works for the PC while none for the Wii. Also the source code isn't readily available for them so for one to make a Nintendo DS emulator for the Wii, they would have to start from scratch. Not to mention that the Nintendo DS emulators were made with the PC in mind when it comes to plugin support, compatibility and so on and can not be easily ported to the Wii.

On the PC, you have both a keyboard and mouse so its possible to use both the touch screen and the buttons at the same time while with the Wii, your stuck with the Wii mote and you can't easily access the motion sensor and the buttons at the same time. I could easily play games that require both the touch screen and the buttons and directional pad on the PC but its near impossible on the Wii. Also theres emulators for the PC that has full microphone support for PCs that have a microphone. So you can easily play games that require it where you would be stuck otherwise on the Wii, making them unplayable.

All the problems I mentioned exclusively for the Wii itself. At any rate, I just don't see a Nintendo DS emulator for the Wii anytime soon if at all.
 

Volsfan91

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2006
Messages
203
Trophies
0
XP
130
Country
United States
Honestly, all of the "intuitive" controls can be fixed in emulations; you realize of course that when someone blows into the microphone, some piece of hardware just modifies the RAM streams; all that it would take is someone dumping the RAM at that moment and then duplicating it through emulation. Bam, you've got your emulation of these weird controls.

Above all, the biggest problem is the emulation of the (reasonably) high powered hardware.
 

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2007
Messages
5,066
Trophies
0
Age
30
Location
Walking the path of heaven
XP
2,199
Country
United States
harrybuttox said:
It's possible, and the Wii does have the capability to do it thanks to the wiimote. Just I don't see it happening for a long time....I do think Nintendo will officially release a DS player of some sort kinda like the Game Boy Player for the Gamecube.
I thought the DS can connect to the Wii via wireless like PBR.

I think a DS emulator on a computer is pretty useless because it can already be emulated on computer except for the Wi-Fi.
 

teq

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
1,232
Trophies
0
XP
5
Country
United States
The possibility of a DS emulator is very likely.

However, emulators for new consoles are written in succession, so you won't see one until a working GBA emulator is released.

All of the above arguments are terribly flawed.

For one, the DS hardware is very simplistic, clocking in at sub-Nintendo 64 levels of performance. Secondly, the screens could easily be positioned side by side to accomodate widescreen sets.

As far as controlling games is concerned, a Wiimote and a nunchuk provide everything you could possibly need, and could be customized depending on the game.
 

Volsfan91

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2006
Messages
203
Trophies
0
XP
130
Country
United States
teq said:
All of the above arguments are terribly flawed.
Alright Mr. Elitist, time to get brought back down to planet Earth here.

teq said:
For one, the DS hardware is very simplistic, clocking in at sub-Nintendo 64 levels of performance.
No, not simplistic. Low power, perhaps. But not simplistic- you've got an ARM7 and ARM9 core working in there together. Plus, the ARM architecture is certainly not as well understood as most...

teq said:
Secondly, the screens could easily be positioned side by side to accomodate widescreen sets.
You're kidding, right? Have you ever even played a DS game? If you had, you would know that most games have action being exchanged back and forth VERTICALLY; that is to say, objects cross over from top to bottom. Imagine something passing over top to bottom with the screens positioned side by side... no, just no.

QUOTE(teq @ May 24 2008, 12:34 AM) As far as controlling games is concerned, a Wiimote and a nunchuk provide everything you could possibly need, and could be customized depending on the game.
No, those cannot provide the accuracy that a touch control gives.

QUOTE(teq @ May 24 2008, 12:34 AM)
However, emulators for new consoles are written in succession, so you won't see one until a working GBA emulator is released.
What?
 

teq

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
1,232
Trophies
0
XP
5
Country
United States
Volsfan91 said:
No, not simplistic. Low power, perhaps. But not simplistic- you've got an ARM7 and ARM9 core working in there together. Plus, the ARM architecture is certainly not as well understood as most...
The ARM architecture is about the easiest mobile platform to write for, because so many devices employ it.

They're RISC processors, so the assembly isn't too far off from the PowerPC processor in the Wii. You'd probably get better performance on the Wii than can be achieved from a computer.
Volsfan91 said:
You're kidding, right? Have you ever even played a DS game? If you had, you would know that most games have action being exchanged back and forth VERTICALLY; that is to say, objects cross over from top to bottom. Imagine something passing over top to bottom with the screens positioned side by side... no, just no.

So you're saying you're incapable of translating an image about a foot diagonally? It would be a small price to pay to reap the rewards of using all the screen realestate.

And even then, your exception only extends to a few games. Mario Kart DS and Metroid Prime would be completely forgiving, no matter where the bottom screen was placed.
Volsfan91 said:
No, those cannot provide the accuracy that a touch control gives.
Oh really? Throw an interpolation on the Wiimote's pointer and you solve your problem.

Or, alternatively, you could use the Wiimote as an infrared camera, build a whiteboard that would act like a tablet, and use a Gamecube controller for the rest.

QUOTE(Volsfan91 @ May 23 2008, 05:42 PM)
What?
I clearly said WORKING. Using a Gamecube port in Wii mode is not the same.
 

Volsfan91

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2006
Messages
203
Trophies
0
XP
130
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
I clearly said WORKING. Using a Gamecube port in Wii mode is not the same.

A working emulator is one that properly emulates the target system. Therefore, the GBA emulator for Wii is a working emulator as it emulates the Game Boy Advance very well. Try again.

QUOTEThe ARM architecture is about the easiest mobile platform to write for,

To write FOR.

Besides, if the DS is so low power and easy to code an emulator for, why then can I emulate an N64 on an old POS computer while No$GBA chokes?
 

teq

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
1,232
Trophies
0
XP
5
Country
United States
Volsfan91 said:
QUOTE said:
I clearly said WORKING. Using a Gamecube port in Wii mode is not the same.

A working emulator is one that properly emulates the target system. Therefore, the GBA emulator for Wii is a working emulator as it emulates the Game Boy Advance very well. Try again.

Uh... no, actually, it doesn't.

There are display and audio issues, and it doesn't support the front sd slot.


QUOTE(Volsfan91 @ May 23 2008, 06:06 PM)
To write FOR.

Besides, if the DS is so low power and easy to code an emulator for, why then can I emulate an N64 on an old POS computer while No$GBA chokes?

What do you think writing an emulator entails?

It's not magic. You're creating a computer and its subsystems in software. Most of the basic instructions are already written, which is where more advanced instructions are derrived from.

And No$GBA choking is a primary example of poor programming. Naturally, some routines are easier than others, and having the native bios helps. Maybe they're missing something.
 

upbumpo190

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2007
Messages
168
Trophies
0
Location
The 5th dimension
Website
ethericwarriors.eu
XP
101
Country
France
Speaking of ARM processors, BootMii is going to enable us to launch ARM code (Startlet), we can only wait and see, as this opens up a whole new field of possibilities for the Wii!

A DS emulator is feasible, just like I can run Mac OS 7 on my PSP, and even DS. It wasn't worked on for that long, but the Wii has potential!

But of course, you'll never get and emulator without a programmer with knowledge of the Wii's coding, + a bit of ARM. What I always tell myself, is wait 4 years, come back to this thread and download the long awaited emulator.
Take for example the DS, the PS2, PS1, I have working emulators for them on my PC, but took many years for the coders to develop!
 

Jacobeian

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
May 15, 2008
Messages
1,891
Trophies
0
XP
368
Country
Cuba
to make a NDS emulator, you need mostly someone who perfectly know both (NDS and Wii) architectures and coding

a simple port of an existing emulator will just run too slow (just like the PSP one you are mentionning which is running and will always be running at 1fps)

Also, even if you can run ARM code on the Wii, running ARM code from a NDS ROM will lead you to nothing on the Wii unless you emulate the WHOLE hardware of the NDS as well

and this requires A LOT of CPU power, just look at the PC specifications to run a NDS emulator properly

Not to mention that NDS roms are way too big to fit in the Wii Memory so this would require memory swapping from SD or whatever, which will slowdon emulation as well


Yes, because there is something you forget: unlike your computer, your Wii is not "upgradable" and will ALWAYS have the same species (CPU speed, available RAM), no matter how long you wait for a coder to do this
 
General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I would Photoshop movie stars kissing donkey balls lol