Any musicians here?

Lanlan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*resists "drummers aren't musicians" joke*

I can play saxophone. I played alto sax from grade 8 up to 12, then for my 12th grade year I played bari sax, since our band needed it.

Trying to learn piano. Self-teaching, not so effective.

What do you call someone who hangs around with musicians?
A bassist.

had to.
fix'd

SavvyTaco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Been playing guitar, both acoustic and electric, for around 4 years. I play by myself cause I'm a loner. Usualy play old music like Jimi Hendrix, Santana, Clapton, etc etc etc.

RchUncleSkeleton

Skeletron 9000
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
A drummer.

had to.
A bassist.

had to.
fix'd
Come on guys, a good bassist is definitely a musician and a drummer while not all drummers are musicians a good drummer is usually pretty technically inclined and has a bit of background in writing music. To me being a drummer is getting the feel of the music much more than it is mathmatics. I've seen my share of crappy 1 note bass players and basic 4/4 rock beat drummers and I've also seen my share of bassist who can come up with amazing bass lines, walking or not and amazing drummers who can do all kinds of cool stuff on the hi hat as well as switch from 4/4 to 6/8, 5/4, 5/8. 9/8, 12/8 and half a dozen other time signatures back to back without missing a beat.

Reactions: 1 person

Lanlan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A drummer.

had to.
A bassist.

had to.
fix'd
Come on guys, a good bassist is definitely a musician and a drummer while not all drummers are musicians a good drummer is usually pretty technically inclined and has a bit of background in writing music. To me being a drummer is getting the feel of the music much more than it is mathmatics. I've seen my share of crappy 1 note bass players and basic 4/4 rock beat drummers and I've also seen my share of bassist who can come up with amazing bass lines, walking or not and amazing drummers who can do all kinds of cool stuff on the hi hat as well as switch from 4/4 to 6/8, 5/4, 5/8. 9/8, 12/8 and half a dozen other time signatures back to back without missing a beat.
Yeah I do love me some Cliff Burton. And if you ask me there is such a thing as musical drumming, just listen to Peter Wildoer.

ShadowFyre

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Played 10 years of piano starting in 1st/2nd grade, finished what we call a "CM Test" for level 10 (highest level). Hated piano though. Parents forced me. Started playing the flute in 5th grade and enjoyed that a lot more later on when I started appreciating music. I'm on level 8 for CM now and I'm going to skip to 10 next year, and I'm the 1st chair for our high school band. Starting to play the electric guitar, getting lessons.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an acoustic and an electric guitar. I seldom play either (usually only when I am feeling down). I am terrible at them. I do not consider myself a musician, but an earache. :creep:

Edit:

I'm one of those kiddies that picked up guitar to fit in with the cool kids and pick up bitches but never did succeed... :(

Yeah, pretty much my story too.

DDTarZan

Never getting laid again /s
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was originally a drummer with a very basic set, and now I can't really do much where I live, neighbors get mad and things like that. Just saying, if you have this problem, invest in or look up a cajon, they are frigging great.

All I really can do now is play guitar, bass, acoustic for both also, my cajon, borrow my friend's ukelele, all of my secondary percussion instruments (tambourine, shakers, might even make something of my own if it sounds cool). I'm dabbling in piano, and all I have to practice with is a really crappy keyboard (and I don't even have my sustain pedal anymore!).

My current goals for music is to major in college in performing arts, as it will give me a reliable place to practice and I will be surrounded by people willing and happy to teach me things and learn along with me. I like noisy or progressive rock music, skill levels vary I guess. Noisy as in like the first Foo Fighters album, or alot of other 90's rock bands, J-rock bands, all of that kind of stuff.

I wish I was in a local rock band again. The eastern coast is so dull and hateful towards one another, and it's kind of lonely for aspiring musicians over here. :(

Lanlan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was originally a drummer with a very basic set, and now I can't really do much where I live, neighbors get mad and things like that. Just saying, if you have this problem, invest in or look up a cajon, they are frigging great.

All I really can do now is play guitar, bass, acoustic for both also, my cajon, borrow my friend's ukelele, all of my secondary percussion instruments (tambourine, shakers, might even make something of my own if it sounds cool). I'm dabbling in piano, and all I have to practice with is a really crappy keyboard (and I don't even have my sustain pedal anymore!).

My current goals for music is to major in college in performing arts, as it will give me a reliable place to practice and I will be surrounded by people willing and happy to teach me things and learn along with me. I like noisy or progressive rock music, skill levels vary I guess. Noisy as in like the first Foo Fighters album, or alot of other 90's rock bands, J-rock bands, all of that kind of stuff.

I wish I was in a local rock band again. The eastern coast is so dull and hateful towards one another, and it's kind of lonely for aspiring musicians over here. :(
A buddy of mine just got kicked out of his screamo band so he wants me to drum for him in a hard rock band he's putting together. I hope we at least get shows, I love playing for a crowd

DDTarZan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

A buddy of mine just got kicked out of his screamo band so he wants me to drum for him in a hard rock band he's putting together. I hope we at least get shows, I love playing for a crowd
I used to be in a screamo band, but it was total crap. I left it because we weren't going anywhere, and we kept shifting members all the time. Nobody really had experience, and we kept being spoiled with all of this cool gear. Freaking 8 channel PA system, two four foot tall speakers, amps, drum heads, microphones and stands, really expensive recording board. Shame we didn't know how to use any of it.
I play bass guitar but I'd love to have an acoustic bass guitar too.
I think acoustic basses are one of the sexiest things ever.
They are, but I can't afford one as of now.
Man, I saw one at my local music shop, sexiest acoustic bass I've seen in a while: All black Dean, four string, sounded absolutely lovely, only $200! I couldn't believe it. I wish I had gotten my paycheck a day sooner.

Lanlan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to be in a screamo band, but it was total crap. I left it because we weren't going anywhere, and we kept shifting members all the time. Nobody really had experience, and we kept being spoiled with all of this cool gear. Freaking 8 channel PA system, two four foot tall speakers, amps, drum heads, microphones and stands, really expensive recording board. Shame we didn't know how to use any of it.

I really dislike screamo with a passion, but my definition of screamo may be different than yours. I think of it as the weird rhythms where the bass drum does nothing but follow the guitar, breakdowns every 30 seconds, 75% screaming vocals and 25% effeminate male vocals.

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm also a drummer. Love playing Metal like Metallica and Paradise Lost, but also rockish stuff like dredg :D

Youtube
Dude, listening to your Puppets cover, pretty damn good so far. Is it all you or is there some extra stuff added in?
It's all me. Nothing added in. What else could it be? ;)

Lanlan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm also a drummer. Love playing Metal like Metallica and Paradise Lost, but also rockish stuff like dredg :D

Youtube
Dude, listening to your Puppets cover, pretty damn good so far. Is it all you or is there some extra stuff added in?
It's all me. Nothing added in. What else could it be? ;)
Well I remember a friend setting up his tom to play a bass drum sound and just doing super fast singles on it and recording it and playing a normal beat over it.
Your stuff sounds great though. I bet you'd get more views if you actually recorded yourself playing.

RchUncleSkeleton

Skeletron 9000
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
screamo/emo is a phase that died out about 4 years ago...same thing with butt rock(hard rock garbage). Now the "IN" thing is the acoustic type indie stuff(Fleet Foxes, Lumineers, Of Monsters and Men, Etc.) and the Synthy Indie Pop stuff(M83, Two Door Cinema Club, MGMT, Etc.), which is also a phase that will soon die out. I'm not saying I don't enjoy any of these bands or musical styles, I'm just saying the radio/market is flooded with acts like this and I don't think a pile this big can last for long before collapsing.

DDTarZan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really dislike screamo with a passion, but my definition of screamo may be different than yours. I think of it as the weird rhythms where the bass drum does nothing but follow the guitar, breakdowns every 30 seconds, 75% screaming vocals and 25% effeminate male vocals.
That's basically what I think of it too, but the standard that we played at, the guitar never followed the drum patterns, it was all scream and no other vocals, but it basically was one huge breakdown for each song. Like how progressive rock is, we kept adding different parts in every song, rarely going back to a chorus or one verse. We were all pretty young, so it was a big experimental thing.

air2004

Air
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I learned violin, because I got one from my grand father, and I wished I could play video game and anime music with it.
I studied for 5 years, but wasn't serious enough to do rehearse when I needed to (too much time on the net, and I don't like making noise that everyone hear (neighbor)), so I stopped.
Play a little devil went down to georgia :-)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.