An investment to nothingness
OP
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
Antarctica
I have a GBA working, and I wanted to find some mods for it. Any suggestions(Please say something that was done before or is possible)? BTW I have a basic understanding of soldering.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Some people install a backlight on the original. Or transplant an AGS101 screen into an old SP shell.
Some people have done some things with the battery, usually to put a larger or different chemistry one in there.
Some people have tweaked the speakers and headphone ports to output louder, not sure offhand if it is a simple resistor limiting volume here like some other devices and either way I would probably just get an inline amp or a set of fancy headphones that can blow your eardrums out normally.
I am not sure what goes for video out with the GBA, most just get a GB player instead. Choice link http://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2782 , you might also want to source a component capable model.
Turbo buttons and automated inputs are a thing if you want, not aware of any specific projects but you can make any old microcontroller fire off a series of pulses easily enough. I guess you could also make that into a controller adapter and play a GBA with a big controller, though again the GB player is a thing and that is probably the better/easier route.
If you want to put LEDs all about the place then play that how you will.
I can't remember if people overclocked the GBA or DS at this point, for the most part it is pointless though and potentially damaging to a few things.

I guess you could solder up a multiboot cable. Flash carts are now cheap and lovely compared the GBA era so it is not as useful as it once was
http://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm#auxxboopctogbamultibootcable

For the most part though there is not a lot worth doing here other than screen mods, and maybe turbo mods.

EthanAddict

An investment to nothingness
OP
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
Antarctica
Some people install a backlight on the original. Or transplant an AGS101 screen into an old SP shell.
Some people have done some things with the battery, usually to put a larger or different chemistry one in there.
Some people have tweaked the speakers and headphone ports to output louder, not sure offhand if it is a simple resistor limiting volume here like some other devices and either way I would probably just get an inline amp or a set of fancy headphones that can blow your eardrums out normally.
I am not sure what goes for video out with the GBA, most just get a GB player instead. Choice link http://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2782 , you might also want to source a component capable model.
Turbo buttons and automated inputs are a thing if you want, not aware of any specific projects but you can make any old microcontroller fire off a series of pulses easily enough. I guess you could also make that into a controller adapter and play a GBA with a big controller, though again the GB player is a thing and that is probably the better/easier route.
If you want to put LEDs all about the place then play that how you will.
I can't remember if people overclocked the GBA or DS at this point, for the most part it is pointless though and potentially damaging to a few things.

I guess you could solder up a multiboot cable. Flash carts are now cheap and lovely compared the GBA era so it is not as useful as it once was
http://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm#auxxboopctogbamultibootcable

For the most part though there is not a lot worth doing here other than screen mods, and maybe turbo mods.

I know most of them. Anything new, or they are limited because of the hardware?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nothing that I have seen here or doing the rounds elsewhere. Other than the screen there is not a lot to improve without in turn having to go back and redo a load of code in whatever game you want to play with the mod. It is not like it has a firmware, most things about the hardware are known and we have reliable access basically from power and cheap flash carts which can hold basically the entire library.
If you can think of something you want to improve or tweak or change, or have seen something on another device you reckon could do something here then make a thread or something and you will probably get a nice discussion on how to set about doing it.

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try to install an analog stick? I'm sure something like that can happen. The installation of an ags101 is the, by far, best mod for that system......in my opinion.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans