Any low energy 1TB+ external HDD's out there?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by OldGnashburg, Nov 26, 2018.

1. OldGnashburg
    OP

OldGnashburg GBAtemp Regular

Feb 6, 2017
    Canada
    Alberta, Canada
    Are there ANY self-powered External Hard Drives larger 1 Terabyte or larger (preferably 2 Terabytes) that are energy efficient enough to be fully functional without a Y-Cable when hooked up to any of the Wii U's USB Ports?

2. gaga24

gaga24 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 28, 2016
    No need, use Y cable, its more stable solution.

3. OldGnashburg
    OP

Feb 6, 2017
    Canada
    Alberta, Canada
    There is a need if I don't want to use a Y-Cable, and refuse to give up my GC Controller Adapter

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

There is if you want 2 HDD's and don't want to give up the the ports used by your GC Controller Adapter, and refuse to take up any wall outlets. All I really need is Amazon.ca URL's or a brand and model name.

alainvey likes this.
  4. gaga24

gaga24 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 28, 2016
  5. bananapi761

bananapi761 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 8, 2016
    United Kingdom
    Norn Iron
    Any external HDD will need a Y cable unless they are USB 3, and the Wii U doesn't have those ports. The only other option is to power it externally (AC adapter).

6. OldGnashburg
    OP

Feb 6, 2017
    Canada
    Alberta, Canada
    Hmm. That kind of sucks, are external SSD's a thing? Or are Dual MicroSDXC to SDXC Adapters a thing?

7. bananapi761

bananapi761 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 8, 2016
    United Kingdom
    Norn Iron
    It's possible, but due to how SD cards work they likely won't work well with an adapter in a 2.0 port, especially with larger games. I'd expect slowdowns and maybe even corruption, not to mention the price/storage/performance ratio wouldn't be great. It's probably best to invest in a USB hub and plug in everything but your HDD into it.

8. OldGnashburg
    OP

Feb 6, 2017
    Canada
    Alberta, Canada
    Is the Wii U's SD Slot reliant on the Card or the Slot itself for performance if I get card with faster read/write speeds, would that increase performance for SD Read/Write heavy apps like Loadiine?

9. jeannotte

jeannotte GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 15, 2016
    France
    Hello,

do not use cheap SD or micro SD, you will regret it.

prefer a SD of brand and quality, for better operation of your games and applications.