• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Any Jordan Peterson Fans?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 2,329
  • Replies 35
  • Likes 3

What do you think of Jordan Peterson?

• Total genius, all his words are solid gold.

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • He's decent, and has some excellent points all around

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Meh. The media totally plays him up.

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • I disagree with a lot of his reasoning.

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Complete idiot. He clearly has no idea what he's talking about.

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Who is this guy?

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • I'm nyot doin' it!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
D

Deleted User

OP
Started watching the guy. Amazing orator and philosopher in my opinion.

For those not in the know, Jordan Peterson semirecently got famous after the Canadian government threatened to pass a bill requiring people to use the pronouns required by other people. He vehemently opposed it, claiming that it infringed on free speech. 1,000,000 YouTube subs later, here we are.

He claims not to be particularly left or right, he appears to be an advocate for common sense than anything else.

Thoughts?

Last edited by ,

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Recently started watching the guy. Amazing orator and philosopher in my opinion.

For those not in the know, Jordan Peterson semirecently got famous after the Canadian government threatened to pass a bill requiring people to use the pronouns required by other people. He vehemently opposed it, claiming that it infringed on free speech. 1,000,000 YouTube subs later, here we are.

He claims not to be particularly left or right, in my opinion he's an advocate for common sense.

Thoughts?
No its common sense to use the right pronoun to the other person it's a little thing called respect. Its that simple

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Mark McDonut

GBATemp's Resident Ghostbuster
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ehh he likes to use narrow anecdotes to push as facts, people like that just come off as arrogant in my opinion, you learn by discussing and learning about varieties of backgrounds and situations with people, not by listening to some IRL LPT coach.

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can’t always know what someone’s pronouns are by looking at them. Asking and correctly using someone’s pronouns is one of the most basic ways to show your respect for their gender identity.

When someone is referred to with the wrong pronoun, it can make them feel disrespected, invalidated, dismissed, alienated, or dysphoric ( often all of the above.)

It is a privilege to not have to worry about which pronoun someone is going to use for you based on how they perceive your gender. If you have this privilege, yet fail to respect someone else’s gender identity, it is not only disrespectful and hurtful, but also oppressive.

But hey its ok this is just the view of a transgender woman that witnesses that damage using incorrect pronouns does on a daily basis.

Last edited by AmandaRose,

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
TBH, I agree with many of the points he brings upon and with his reasoning.
All in all, I believe he is quite reasonable, and he doesn't just "pull shit out his ass".
The arguments he usually present are very well thought and with some solid base to it.
He says some things I don't want to listen, but it doesn't mean I think he is wrong in those cases.
I think many times people prejudge and label the guy, later avoiding to truly listening to him and trying to understand what he is saying.
I also think that many other people misinterpret what he says, adding to it an ultra-right seasoning that is not there, but that serves their narrative.

That said I also disagree with some points he makes, but in general I would say he is decent and reasonable.

If we only considered his quality as an orator, I would say he is a near genius level orator. But the same could be said about Joseph Goebbels, so not sure that is a compliment.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
TBH, I agree with many of the points he brings upon and with his reasoning.
All in all, I believe he is quite reasonable, and he doesn't just "pull shit out his ass".
The arguments he usually present are very well thought and with some solid base to it.
He says some thing I don't want to listen, but it doesn't mean I think he is wrong in those cases.
I think many times people prejudge and label the guy, later avoiding to truly listening to him and trying to understand what he is saying.
I also think that many other people misinterpret what he says, adding to it an ultra-right seasoning that is not there, but that serves their narrative.

That said I also disagree with some points he makes, but in general I would say he is decent and reasonable.

If we only considered his quality as an orator, I would say he is a near genius level orator. But the same could be said about Joseph Goebbels, so not sure that is a compliment.
So do you believe he has the right to use whatever pronoun he wants even though it is going to cause hurt to the other person??

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So do you believe he has the right to use whatever pronoun he wants even though it is going to cause hurt to the other person??
Kind of yes. I believe the government shouldn't force you to use the language in some kind of state-regulated way, not only pronouns.
That said I think it would be disrespectful and ill-intended to use the pronouns (or some other words) in a way that would hurt other people.
I think it is a personal choice in this case, to be a disrespectful asshole or to be a decent person, not something the state should regulate.

Well, whatever... I myself wouldn't be an asshole, but I don't want to think that I only behave so because the state is threatening me.

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
"So you're saying..."

He's not against using the correct pronouns, he's agains making up new ones.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37875695

EDIT: To clarify: he's not against refering to you as an individual as either "he" or "she" depending on what you identify as. He's refusing to refer to everyone as "they" or even "ze" or "zir"

Last edited by Localhorst86,

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"So you're saying..."

EDIT: To clarify: he's not against refering to you as an individual as either "he" or "she" depending on what you identify as. He's refusing to refer to everyone as "they" or even "ze" or "zir"
Yes but ze or zir has been used in the transgender community for at least 20 years mabye even longer they are hardly new made up words. Do I personally like the use of ze or zir no but i respect peoples rights to use them and will address them as such.

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yes but ze or zir has been used in the transgender community for at least 20 years mabye even longer they are hardly new made up words. Do I personally like the use of ze or zir no but i respect peoples rights to use them and will address them as such.
I would like for you to further adress me as "hjzudzs"

Reactions: Fugelmir
D

Deleted User

OP
"So you're saying..."

Guys, he has said multiple times that trans students ask him to refer to them as their pronoun, and he'll refer to them with their pronoun. He opposed the bill based on the fact that it would force you to say someone's pronouns.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Guys, he has said multiple times that trans students ask him to refer to them as their pronoun, and he'll refer to them with their pronoun. He opposed the bill based on the fact that it would force you to say someone's pronouns.
The above news report says differently

Little quote from it.

Dr Peterson was especially frustrated with being asked to use alternative pronouns as requested by trans students or staff, like the singular 'they' or 'ze' and 'zir', used by some as alternatives to 'she' or 'he'.

D

Deleted User

OP
The above news report says differently

Little quote from it.

Dr Peterson was especially frustrated with being asked to use alternative pronouns as requested by trans students or staff, like the singular 'they' or 'ze' and 'zir', used by some as alternatives to 'she' or 'he'.

I genuinely have no idea, none of his actual interviews say that.

D

Deleted User

OP
I, uh, know a friend who listens to Jordan Peterson via lofi mixes that sample his speeches. It's kind of cool to listen to, honestly.

As for JP's actual content, though, can't say I have much of an opinion on it. I will say, however, that I don't like the implications of forcing proper pronouns onto people under a law, even if it is common decency to use them.

Last edited by , , Reason: grammer

erikas

Trophies
XP
Country
I was 100% with him on the pronouns issue. And for a while after that, but then he started saying some really dumb shit. He thinks god is necessary for morality and said that Sam Harris is a christian in denial. Also for a guy who doesn't want to use artificially invented language, for some fucking reason he decided to redefine truth as something completely unusable. Watch some of his debates with Sam Harris to get what i'm talking about.

D

Deleted User

OP
I was 100% with him on the pronouns issue. And for a while after that, but then he started saying some really dumb shit. He thinks god is necessary for morality and said that Sam Harris is a christian in denial. Also for a guy who doesn't want to use artificially invented language, for some fucking reason he decided to redefine truth as something completely unusable. Watch some of his debates with Sam Harris to get what i'm talking about.

Not sure what you mean by the god thing. He was saying that Christianity was the basis for early morality systems.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://gbatemp.net/profile-posts/163064/