Any ideas of where to find a cheap WiiKey?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by INTERNETS, May 2, 2007.

May 2, 2007
  1. INTERNETS
    OP

Member INTERNETS GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hey guys – I'm looking to finally do my WiiKey install, and since clones are so heralded around here, I'm gonna pick one up. I know some resellers sell them insanely cheap, but a lot of them are sold out.

Is anyone aware of some killer deals around here?

2. ugotpwned5

Newcomer ugotpwned5 Member

United States
  3. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Out of curiosity, is there anything wrong with the clone? I was on ebay and trying to find some 30AWG wire and I noticed one of them said, "buy 50cm of wire and get a free gift. Check my feedback for hint". From his feedback and the fact that it costs £8 for 50cm of wire, I concluded that it was for a wiikey. If I had a Wii, I'd get one... but I don't....

4. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    Depends on your definition of "wrong." Clones work exactly the same as the real thing. "Clone" by definition is an exact copy. It's not terribly difficult to dump the flash memory of a real WiiKey and mass produce an identical chip. The reason the real one is o much cheaper is because the WiiKey team jacks up the price to compensate for their "continued support and development" of the chip, setup disc, and updates. ( [​IMG] )

It could be considered 'wrong' in that you're buying from someone who stole the code and charges little more than the cost of materials, rather than giving money to the original creators. However the industry itself is based around theft so I don't see why anyone would seriously bring 'right' and 'wrong' into this.

5. INTERNETS
    OP

United States
    As far as I know, it's a violation of eBay terms of service to sell modchips via auction. There was a big controversy about that years ago with GBA flash carts.

6. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    So if I buy the clone, I get the same thing. What's all this I hear about it being "inferior". I mean, has there been any cases of Wiis being bricked by clone chips?

7. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    They also sell clones on www.divineo.cn

8. pewpz

Member pewpz GBAtemp Regular

United States

The only people bricking their Wii's are the soldernoobs. As long as you're confident with your solder skills or have someone that is, you're fine with any modchip. I have a clone and it works perfectly.

9. amptor

Banned amptor Banned

United States
    I got a genuine wiikey from dealextreme (yeah you heard it right) before they stopped selling them due to lamers complaining to paypal. My friend installed the clone he got from dealextreme and says it works fine, but I think he said some of the traces broke off while he was trying to reassemble his wii. So today he told me he epoxied the trace back on and assembled the unit and it works fine. Genuine ATMEL chip on it, not sanded off on top. I believe almost any clone is going to be as good as a genuine one from statements I've read, but I read that some people buying clones from divineo got chips that were defective. Never buy from divineo LOL.. I don't anyway.. to each his own I guess hah. You could always email dealextreme and ask if you can buy one unit, but don't hold your breath they sometimes are too busy and communication isn't the best.

10. INTERNETS
    OP

United States
    Well, I ordered a clone from Divineo – we'll see how that works out. However, I completely forgot to get a Tri-Wing :-P

11. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    You have to realize people on the internet are fucking retarded.

12. Louse76

Member Louse76 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    This is true. I'd never soldered before, and I've installed three clones with no problems. I just got ten more in the mail and will report if there are any issues.

There is one guy on fatwallet who supposedly solders for a living who couldn't get TWO of them to work, but he had too much pride to troubleshoot with me or post any pics. I'm thinking maybe he solders things that are A LOT bigger than this and he screwed it up maybe. Or maybe he had a bad chip, but who knows.