Any idea what firmware the N3DS XL will have?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by marksteele, Feb 8, 2015.

1. marksteele
    OP

marksteele GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 16, 2011
    Canada
    I heard rumors that some of the ones that came out in France have 9.0, does that mean there's a decent chance that they all shipped with 9.0?

(I know this is gonna be all speculation but I'm trying to decide between getting a 3DS XL [since we know its crackable] now or spending $40 more and getting the N3DS XL [that we know sky runs on?] on the 13th)

2. cracker

cracker Nyah!

Aug 24, 2005
    United States
    They are probably produced in different factories, but if that is true then there is a good chance it will be at or below 9.2.

3. marksteele
    OP

Jan 16, 2011
    Canada
    Apparently a store in my area has one of them on demo. I might get in there and discreetly check out the firmware on it :P.

Assuming I manage to get there I'll be able to find out what the firmware is and/or what firmware is required to play majora's mask

4. apoptygma

apoptygma GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 30, 2010
    The thing people don't realise about this conversation (which comes up a lot) is that it doesn't matter. The entry point for gateway's original exploit was the DS profile on firmware below 5.0 then they used the browser prior to 9.3 currently there is no nn3ds exploits because the browser is different. 9.0 - 9.5 are likely all vulnerable to whatever gateway will use for the entry point on nn3ds so there's little value worrying about what the unit comes with. Gateway are most likely to target the shipped firmware on US units so buy one, don't update and wait like everyone else.

MattKimura likes this.
  5. ucta

ucta custom title=0

Jan 15, 2015
    Serbia, Republic of
    they could have been updated it ;)

6. cracker

cracker Nyah!

Aug 24, 2005
    United States
    QFT. They probably connect and update right away.

7. marksteele
    OP

Jan 16, 2011
    Canada

Assuming they had an access point. Most of the stores in my area don't have wifi networks.

I guess what I'm getting at is if the N3DS update that gateway is releasing "soon" will also work on the N3DS XL.