Any hope for what seems to be a semi-bricked 3DS?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Arras, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Arras
    OP

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    My sister updated her 3DS a few days ago and started getting random error popups and 30 second freezes when booting it. After a while, the freezing got worse to the point where it would just remain permanently frozen. I figured I'd try the usual thing and update the CFW, so I followed the guide. Now, I'm stuck with a 3DS that gives an ARM11 data abort exception in the menu process every time I try to boot, with and without SD card. I tried to do a CTRNAND transfer, but that just gave me a slightly different exception (probably because 9.2.0 is also slightly different). After updating it in safe mode, it's now back to giving the exact same error as before.

2. mrjc1238

mrjc1238 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 21, 2017
    United States
    Your best choice is probably a hardmod or waiting for ntrboothax to be released, I'd think

3. Arras
    OP

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Well, the b9s stuff still works, so I can access godmode9 or anything else in .firm format, it's not like I can do absolutely nothing. It's "just" the home menu that's busted.

4. mrjc1238

mrjc1238 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 21, 2017
    United States
    While I'm not sure if this will work or not, I found this (assuming it's only the home menu that is broken):
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-edit-the-homemenu.424449/
    Now, I don't know if it'll work, and it could brick you completely if done wrong, but it's an idea
    Edit: if you decide to try this, make sure you back up your system first, as it will still be recoverable

Last edited by mrjc1238, Aug 6, 2017
  5. Arras
    OP

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    I'd imagine the CTRNAND transfer already pretty much installs a clean version of the home menu? In any case, I don't think I can do that since it requires the ability to install CIAs, which requires FBI or similar, which needs to be launched through the home menu.

6. mrjc1238

mrjc1238 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 21, 2017
    United States
    Yeah, I think you're right. I'm looking around right now but I'm not finding anything. Hopefully somebody else has some input?

7. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Maybe try doing the CTR transfer with a new SD card. Perhaps the files were corrupted when you did it before.

8. Arras
    OP

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    I doubt it, honestly. I used chkdsk on the SD card to make sure it was OK, and there were no errors or anything. The CTRNAND file also transferred just fine - I'd imagine that if that file got corrupted somehow, there would either be some error during transfer or it would give me a different type of exception at least. And even then, afterwards I did a full system update, which should have overwritten most of those files anyway.