Homebrew Question Any homebrew using USB to install large xci games to fat32 SD?

rob61

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Moved from SX OS and firmware 10.2 to Atmosphere 0.19.5 (current) and firmware 12.1. Things are working ok, although I do miss the simplicity and quality of the SX OS system, but I wanted to run the latest games requiring firmware 12. I tried using NSC Builder and SAK to strip and split, but couldn't get them working (ie Mario Golf Rush). I use fat32, so large files need to be split or installed via USB. Is there any homebrew I'm not familiar with that can install split XCI files? tinfoil will not install split sci files even when I copy parts to the SD and the current version is having issues transferring via USB. Goldleaf would transfer USB but only installs nsp files. I tried converting some xci to nsb but they didn't work. Any suggestions on ways to approach?

spkatsi

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Having made the same change myself this week:

https://github.com/rashevskyv/dbi/blob/main/README_ENG.md
This DBI this brings Atmosphere & NSPs on the same convinience level of sxos and custom XCIs
You do not need the Windows app, just read how MTP responder works

I also chose to split all custom XCis with NSCBuilder but it is not necessary

edit: the one thing that doesn't work are xc0, xc1, etc files. Those need to be converted back to xci

Last edited by spkatsi,
Reactions: mathew77

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Moved from SX OS and firmware 10.2 to Atmosphere 0.19.5 (current) and firmware 12.1. Things are working ok, although I do miss the simplicity and quality of the SX OS system, but I wanted to run the latest games requiring firmware 12. I tried using NSC Builder and SAK to strip and split, but couldn't get them working (ie Mario Golf Rush). I use fat32, so large files need to be split or installed via USB. Is there any homebrew I'm not familiar with that can install split XCI files? tinfoil will not install split sci files even when I copy parts to the SD and the current version is having issues transferring via USB. Goldleaf would transfer USB but only installs nsp files. I tried converting some xci to nsb but they didn't work. Any suggestions on ways to approach?
You can use NSA Installer https://github.com/Team-Neptune/NSAInstaller/releases it have the option to install games from external USB

rob61

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks everyone! I will try DBI next! The current tinfoil starts to work and then gets stuck in a loop with the message "failed to create thread". Oops, just found it doesn't install the game file. Hmmm... I want to send and install a game file through USB, what tinfoil claims but gets into a loop error. I tried goldleaf successfully, but it doesn't do xci, and my attempts to convert have not worked. OK, will investigate NSA installer next.

Last edited by rob61,

rob61

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used DBI and IT WORKS!!!! It has a backend so you can set/limit directories which is probably a help. I tried TinWoo, Awoo-Installer, NSAInstaller, and Tinleaf. They all would just sit there. Perhaps they were trying to read/scan directories, not sure but I never was able to get to the directory with the file. Using DBI and the back end, I was able to set a single directory as the target which it immediately found. I installed a 16 gig xci file which transferred and installed flawlessly. I was then able to start the game. I also like the fact that I don't have to use nut.exe as it requires you to rename a file to the numeric name. That was not necessary with DBI. Thanks for all the suggestions. I found a great solution with your help! Now, if I could just get Mario Golf Rush to work. So far nothing I've tried works. I wonder if it has to do with Atmosphere and being on firmware 12.1. The only one I've read that got it to work used 11.0 and SX OS. Will continue to test and use DBI. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Last edited by rob61,

xs4all

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Now, if I could just get Mario Golf Rush to work. So far nothing I've tried works. I wonder if it has to do with Atmosphere and being on firmware 12.1. The only one I've read that got it to work used 11.0 and SX OS. Will continue to test and use DBI. Thanks for all the suggestions!

I too just recently bit the bullet and made the jump from SX OS to Atmosphere and started using DBI as my nsp/xci installer via USB to the PC, works a treat.
I just installed and tested Mario Golf - Super Rush + v2.0.0 update (nsp), seems to work fine, I'm on the latest firmware 12.1.0 on emuNAND on latest Atmosphere.

rob61

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the Golf Rush update. I was going to attempt it again using the 2 update with DBI. Glad to read of your positive results.

rob61

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes! Using DBI I was able to install Mario Golf Rush using Super Rush + v2.0.0 update. I needed to add the BCT.ini file under Atmosphere/config with nogc = 0 to get a game cartridge to play.

Last edited by rob61,

Illustrious_East

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I used DBI and IT WORKS!!!! It has a backend so you can set/limit directories which is probably a help. I tried TinWoo, Awoo-Installer, NSAInstaller, and Tinleaf. They all would just sit there. Perhaps they were trying to read/scan directories, not sure but I never was able to get to the directory with the file. Using DBI and the back end, I was able to set a single directory as the target which it immediately found. I installed a 16 gig xci file which transferred and installed flawlessly. I was then able to start the game. I also like the fact that I don't have to use nut.exe as it requires you to rename a file to the numeric name. That was not necessary with DBI. Thanks for all the suggestions. I found a great solution with your help! Now, if I could just get Mario Golf Rush to work. So far nothing I've tried works. I wonder if it has to do with Atmosphere and being on firmware 12.1. The only one I've read that got it to work used 11.0 and SX OS. Will continue to test and use DBI. Thanks for all the suggestions!
Hey there! Congrats on your success with DBI. Can you please give me a step by step guide to transfer large amount of files via DBI? Is there any program I should start/setup? Thanks alot

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hey there! Congrats on your success with DBI. Can you please give me a step by step guide to transfer large amount of files via DBI? Is there any program I should start/setup? Thanks alot
You know that DBI is using MTP, right? So you know that with MTP you don't need any tool as any up-to-date system supports them without any additional tools or drivers, right?

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tinfoil.
  1. Go to file browser
  2. Highlight usb
  3. Press New(- button)
  4. Wait for it to scan your USB
  5. Select and install XCI
Its slow to scan but works well.

Tinfoil also has MTP. I think you might need to turn it on in the options. Just start Tinfoil and plug it to the pc. It has folders to install. You can drag you files there to auto install.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Having made the same change myself this week:

https://github.com/rashevskyv/dbi/blob/main/README_ENG.md
This DBI this brings Atmosphere & NSPs on the same convinience level of sxos and custom XCIs
You do not need the Windows app, just read how MTP responder works

I also chose to split all custom XCis with NSCBuilder but it is not necessary

edit: the one thing that doesn't work are xc0, xc1, etc files. Those need to be converted back to xci

If xc0 xc1 etc.etc. won't work then split files dont work. Those are split files

Last edited by mikefor20,
Reactions: simbin

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is not true. DBI can split files large xci files and install them.

Also... my suggestion is to delete Tinfoil. Keep things easy and your sanity altogether.

Xc0 xc1 are in fact split files. I never said a damn thing about DBI. If Xc0 etc doesn't work then that's an issue with split files is what I said. And Tinfoil works great. You probably, like the rest of the misinformed masses here, don't know anything about tinfoil. Tinfoil is easy as hell. You can install directly off your USB drive. Stop trying to confuse people. DBI is fine. I like Tinfoil better. Trying to cancel software is so stupid. Blawar piss you off? Makes me like Tinfoil even more.

Last edited by mikefor20,

rob61

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see others have already responded, but I will comment as well. I have to give major props to DBI. It has worked flawlessly here on my my Windows 10 system and Atmosphere running on the Switch. Create a directory (folder) on your PC hard drive, and then install DBI into it along with files you wish to upload to the switch. Double click the dbibackend.exe file on the PC and click to setup the folder your files are in, and then click to start it. Next plug in your USB cable (I use a USB2 slot since that is my cable, but a USB3 slot should work as well). Now you want to hold down the rt button on the Switch and click on the DBI icon (you of course had installed the DBI files onto the Switch as per directions). It will start up with a very complete text screen with all the menu choices. When you select "install from USB" you are shown the file names in your PC DBI directory. Click the one you want to install. You are given a choice of where to install (system memory or SD card), and then click to start. That's it. It will install onto your Switch. Once you exit DBI on the Switch and hit the home button, your installed software should appear! It will install XCI and nsp files. You do NOT need to split large XCI files as DBI will do it when installing! It works great! Good luck with your transfers.

Last edited by rob61,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Interesting lol
    I think I watched a video where two games at 4K where eating just over 16GB of RAM and it's the one case where the 7900XT and XTX pulled ahead (minus RTX of course)
    So my opinion is that they could age a bit better in the future, and maybe AMD will continue improving them via drivers like they tend to do. No guarantee there but they have done it in the past. Just a feeling I have.
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    cyberpunk at 4k without DLSS/fidelityfx *might* exceed 12gb
    +1
    but that game barely runs at native 4k
    I think it was some newer games and probably poorly optimized PS4 or PS5 ports
    they definitely will age better but i feel dlss might outweigh that since it looks about as good as native resolution and much less demanding
    +1
    When I played Cyberpunk on my old 2080 Ti it sucked lol
    AMD could introduce something comparable to DLSS but nvidia's got a lot more experience with that
    least amd 7xxx has tensor cores which the previous generations didn't so there is the potential for AI upscaling
    They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great
    so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously
    Oh yeah those new 8000 CPUs have AI cores built in that's interesting
    Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?
    Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more
    Tandem even
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways