Any homebrew to run a FM tuner?

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by Vipera, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Vipera
    OP

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole
    On Android you can download an app that enables FM radio even to phones that don't have it thanks to bluetooth. Is it possible for a PSP to do the same?

Margen67 likes this.
  2. Sychophantom

Sychophantom I'm a plant.

Mar 7, 2008
    United States
    Born on the Bayou
    The only PSP model that has bluetooth is the PSP Go, and I highly doubt the small install base of that one model would warrant a homebrew for this unless you wanted to try coding it yourself.

You can use a bluetooth dongle for headphones in other models (except the original, I think), but I'm reasonably sure that wouldn't work for what you want.

3. kristianity77

kristianity77 GBATemp old fogey

Jul 10, 2003
    Bewdley, UK
    You can get shoutcast for the PSP I believe and its still going even now.

Point your browser to PSPradio.co.uk on the PSP and it downloads a small app which then gives you access to 1000s of online radio stations. I know its not what you asked for but its about as good as it gets.

Margen67 likes this.
  4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Edit. I even pressed refresh before I posted this. Oh well.
    The only ways you will be getting FM radio on a device without it is if you are streaming it in, probably over bluetooth, via a line in/mic in or over a network stream (be it from another device that decodes the stream or from the original broadcaster). You can buy some very cheap chips for FM decoding and output, chain one to a simple broadcaster and you are away.

As the PSP has ways of sending data out (IR, network, possibly even headphone socket, maybe the memory stick if you got really creative) then I guess you could make an application to control a radio with your PSP. I am not aware of any such programs, give or take web browser/network streaming related stuff. Not sure what exists for the PSP go and its bluetooth capabilities.

5. Vipera
    OP

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole
    I have a PSP Go but I can't code :( thanks anyway guys.