Any homebrew that make use of USB

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Apache Thunder, Jul 1, 2008.

Jul 1, 2008
  1. Apache Thunder
    OP

Member Apache Thunder I have cameras in your head!

United States
    Well I have a N-Card, and it has a USB Linker that works great with the computer. I have two homebrew apps that use this. DSpad (NOT related to the DSpad plugin for iDeas or the wifi version!) and DSMouse (once again NOT the WIFI homebrew app that everyone else uses!). They use the USB cart and makes the DS appear as a gamepad when using the DSpad app, and a trackpad style mouse when using the DSmouse.

However I would like to know if there is any thing else out there that uses this device other then the two aforementioned apps.

Like a app that can turn the DS into into a USB wifi stick. (lol why not? Slow as hell, but it can be usefull if you have a old laptop or at computer without a wifi card!)

Other things like using the USB thing to turn the DS into a MIC or to dump roms direct to the computer (instead of messing around with that Wifi dumper or using that slot2 app when you could just dump direct to computer via the USB.

I'm not sure how often the USB GBA device is mentioned around here, but there's quite a few usefull things you can do with it, and I have yet to see anything other then those 2 apps that use it.

If there is anything else out there that uses the USB device, then please point me to them or simply post a list of apps that use it so that I can google them.

Heck it would be interesting to see if any of the DSLinux devolpers can do with this device, like making it so DSLinux can communicate via USB to the computer as a file drive and such. Sure the N-card has builtin USB linkage software so you can transfer files to and from the N-Card, but something homebrew that supports the sleep function and other more advanced features (like being able to unplug from USB and plug it back in at a different/same computer wihtout restarted the DS) would be sooo much better!

2. Trolly

Member Trolly GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    I had no idea this even existed, though it sounds very cool. I guess you could use it as a microphone as well!

3. Scytheandsickle

Member Scytheandsickle GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    The mic's pretty bad quality, though. This is an interesting idea.

4. cory1492

Member cory1492 GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    As far as I am aware nobody has touched it at all. I for one had hoped for more enthusiasm from people who had gotten freebies such as mk5 from a compo, even just a regular serial port for debugging output could be very useful. It seems, though, that it has been recently discontinued to make the products cheaper (a usb to ds card interface is now sold instead of the USB to DS linker), also likely in part to the lack of such other uses.

The USB ICs used in the MK5/ncard etc USB pack are extremely versatile, though the source that was given with the two apps (pad and mouse) show only HID implementations there is much there that isn't related to only HID. The chip on there can do just about anything (any device) you'd want it to via USB. Using the DS as an AP might be stretching it, I don't see why someone with wifi experience on both the DS and PC couldn't come up with something if they really wanted to.

I had started to cobble together some information to try and implement dldi -> USB mass (though I still believe libfat can be unstable on writes), as well as a PC side homebrew launcher to allow a d/l play wifime substitute styled idea - my time isn't very flexible to take on more at the moment and with summer heat here, sitting at the PC isn't a priority at the start/end of most days. I have been having some fun tinkering with this USB device here and there though, once you get a bit of a grip on USB it's not terribly complicated. Nothing really worth sharing, though.

5. Apache Thunder
    OP

Member Apache Thunder I have cameras in your head!

United States
    The source code for those are open source I think. I think it even came with my N-Card (as in, it was already "on" my N-card when I got it in the mail. I'll try and find the source code to this two apps. I think it comes bundled with the N-Card firmware packages.

I'd play around with it, but at the moment my compiler is broken. (see my thread about my troubles with compiling DSOrganize for more info))

Oh and the N-Cards are still being sold with the USB Linker as far as I can tell. Most of the F-Cards come with the USB Writer you mentioned, but the Fire Cards and N-Cards still use the linker. (FireCards seem to be a seperate line of flashcarts from the "F-Card". Though they are both identical hardware wise -aka, a clone- the PC transfer methond is the main difference)

Perhaps if a merchant decided to sell the USB Linker by itself and not packaged with a flashkart, then perhaps this device would have caught on faster. But alas, this device only comes packaged with flashkarts, and would be too expensive for people just wanting the USB device. Heck I want to buy one of those F-Card USB writers, but they arn't sold separately.

While on the subject of those F-Card USB writers, I wonder if their drivers for that thing can be hacked to dump roms