Any hacks yet for Wii U to read BD-r or DVD-/+R? or Can Wii U drive be used as BD-rom?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by gbadl, Mar 6, 2017.

1. gbadl
    OP

gbadl GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2009
    Wondering if there has been any progress for the Wii U to read BD-r or DVD-/+R media? Would be interesting to have data on the burned disc that can be copied to SD card or boot any data directly off discs.

Don't know if anything like Wii U drive has been able to be used for anything other then games, like if you were to get an adapter to connect to PC would it work as a BD-rom? or has the reverse been done, connecting a PC BD-Rom to Wii U through usb to read data from external drive?

SlimPortable likes this.
  2. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    I don't understand the value of this, this would likely kill the laser faster.

As of right now a wii u formated drive will only work on that wii u.

3. gbadl
    OP

gbadl GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2009
    I don't really care if the laser dies, I would just get a replacement laser. It looks more slick to not have to have something connected to it and look more retail.

4. OfficialBrony

OfficialBrony

Banned
    Jan 6, 2016
    Canada
    Lol

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

5. Sumea

Sumea Disco Ninja Frog

Aug 16, 2008
    Finland
    Turku
    Yes, it would indeed look more like retail I know I expert.
    [​IMG]

6. nexusmtz

nexusmtz GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 17, 2016
    United States
    You apparently don't have a 102-ND drive, or you haven't tried to find a new laser for it.

7. gbadl
    OP

gbadl GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2009
    So the conclusion is that the Wii U can't read any data if it is not encrypted on an SD card or Wii U formatted HDD? Is there any way to format a DVD / BR to use on an external disc drive to copy data to SD / HDD?

8. nexusmtz

nexusmtz GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 17, 2016
    United States
    The WiiU would have to be able to identify the drive as an optical drive, and it would need a UDF file system driver in order to be able to read a DVD. If someone knew how to add a file system driver to the OS, I suspect they'd improve the FAT32 implementation before worrying about an optical format.

Even if we could write a DVD with the correct file system, and the WiiU would recognize the drive itself, we'd have to find a way to convince the WiiU to mount the bytes on the media as the correct file system.