1. gbadl

OP gbadl GBAtemp Regular

Wondering if there has been any progress for the Wii U to read BD-r or DVD-/+R media? Would be interesting to have data on the burned disc that can be copied to SD card or boot any data directly off discs.

Don't know if anything like Wii U drive has been able to be used for anything other then games, like if you were to get an adapter to connect to PC would it work as a BD-rom? or has the reverse been done, connecting a PC BD-Rom to Wii U through usb to read data from external drive?

SlimPortable likes this.
  2. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

United States
    I don't understand the value of this, this would likely kill the laser faster.

As of right now a wii u formated drive will only work on that wii u.

3. gbadl

OP gbadl GBAtemp Regular

I don't really care if the laser dies, I would just get a replacement laser. It looks more slick to not have to have something connected to it and look more retail.

4. OfficialBrony

Banned

Canada
    Lol

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

5. Sumea

Sumea Disco Ninja Frog

Finland
    Yes, it would indeed look more like retail I know I expert.
    [​IMG]

6. nexusmtz

nexusmtz GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    You apparently don't have a 102-ND drive, or you haven't tried to find a new laser for it.

7. gbadl

OP gbadl GBAtemp Regular

So the conclusion is that the Wii U can't read any data if it is not encrypted on an SD card or Wii U formatted HDD? Is there any way to format a DVD / BR to use on an external disc drive to copy data to SD / HDD?

8. nexusmtz

nexusmtz GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    The WiiU would have to be able to identify the drive as an optical drive, and it would need a UDF file system driver in order to be able to read a DVD. If someone knew how to add a file system driver to the OS, I suspect they'd improve the FAT32 implementation before worrying about an optical format.

Even if we could write a DVD with the correct file system, and the WiiU would recognize the drive itself, we'd have to find a way to convince the WiiU to mount the bytes on the media as the correct file system.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - hacks, drive,