Any hack and slash RPGs?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Joboman, Oct 25, 2007.

Oct 25, 2007

Any hack and slash RPGs? by Joboman at 5:32 AM (1,804 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. Joboman
    OP

Newcomer Joboman Member

Canada
    just wondering if there are any decent ones out there for the ds. i've tried lunar knights.. which i didn't really like.. but children of mana is pretty good. my favorite all time ever was shining soul two for the GBA.. so if you know any.. please let me know =]

2. Truliche

Member Truliche GBAtemp Regular

Ecuador
    Isn't Orc & Elves a hack 'n slash?

Anyways you might want to try out FF Crystal Chronicles, sure its in japanese but its very playable and its pretty fun.

3. VVoltz

Member VVoltz The Pirate Lord

Bolivia
    Yes and it looks amazingly fun. A lot more action than the traditional screen-by-screen RPGs from yore (and now, like Redshift's Legend).
    I wait Orc & Elves drooling.

Besides that and the one you tried, I can't recommend any other. Baldur's Gate GBA maybe.. but I was playing it a couple of days ago and it is really boring.

4. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    I'm playing through Ring of Fates right now, and it's damn fun. But it also calls for a bit of strategy, since you're playing with a party of four characters. Very cool game, though, if you don't mind not understanding the story (it's in Japanese). It starts out as too easy, but ramps up quite nicely. By the later levels you'll likely have to grind a bit in order to keep up with the monsters' strength.

5. Porkdish

Member Porkdish GBAtemp Fan

Australia
  6. wiithepeople

Member wiithepeople ^^didn't play it that much, but I love it =D

United States
    Is Castlevania a hack-and-slash? It seems to be since u use swords and axes, etc. as your weapons to kill the monsters. If so, I recommend Castlevania!

7. moggymatt

Member moggymatt GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    other than those mentioned....All these have little RPG elements to them as well as hack 'n slash

Dynasty Warriors DS Fighters Battle is not that bad, but little boring after a while. I still finished it.

Children of Mana is a dungeon crawler. think this will be right up your street.

both Castlevania are great.

Lunar Knights is great too. why didn't you like it?

EDIT: I didn't read the first post properly sorry. Eragon is not bad, its not great either.

8. Seccom Masada

Member Seccom Masada GBAtemp Regular

Antarctica
    I was just going to say Lunar Knights. EDIT: Which you apparently didn't like, nevermind.

Does this count?

9. pasc

Member pasc GBATemps official GBA Freak

Germany
    Dunno but does Eragon count ?

10. Joboman
    OP

Newcomer Joboman Member

Canada
    wow thanks for all the replies. i didn't really like the graphics on lunar knights but i'll still probably play it after i finish children on mana. im amazed no one has mentioned phantom hourglass even though i've already beaten it. as for the japanese games, i'll probably wait for the english release if there is going to be one.

11. GeekyGuy

United States
    There should be an English release of Ring of Fates sometime next year, but I couldn't wait that long. I tried to...

As for Phantom Hourglass, it's definitely not a hack & slash. More an action / puzzler than anything else, I'd say. But also the best damn game on the DS currently -- flat out!

I feel your disappointment though with the look of Lunar Knights, and I didn't feel any better about Children of Mana. To me those games would look great on the GBA, but on the DS...not so much. I can't help but appreciate good 3-D graphics, or a nice mixture of 3-D & 2-D, ala Rune Factory.

12. Embrance

Newcomer Embrance Member

United States
    I suggest the castlevania series.They rock.

13. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Its pretty much an advance port of the awesome mobile game but with a ton of stuff added. Looking forward to it now even though at first I didn't like how it looked originally.

They're also thinking of bringing Doom RPG to the DS if it Orcs & Elves does well which is also an excellent game.

Next year there'll be Dungeon Explorer which is a hack and slasher more like Diablo.

14. makku_minezu

Newcomer makku_minezu Newbie

Philippines
    maybe OP was referring to games like untold legends or dungeon siege on that other handheld [​IMG] Im still waiting for a top down isometric game where I continously grind to gain levels and get exponentially better loot [​IMG]
    A good hack and slasher u can get for DS right now is children of mana [​IMG]

cant wait for english FF:CC [​IMG]

15. Truliche

Member Truliche GBAtemp Regular

Ecuador
    3D is very nice but great 2D art, especially considering the DS's shitty texture filtering, can be great as well but I agree, 3D/2D combination is the best of both worlds, a la Elite Beat Agents.

16. GeekyGuy

United States
    Not to go too far off on a tangent, but I don't think the DS can do texture filtering at all, can it? I believe developers can perhaps do some anti-aliasing, but it doesn't look like most folks put that kind of effort into DS games. Phantom Hourglass is probably the paragon of good 3-D on the DS. But I think cel-shading seems to work particularly well with 3-D on the DS, and games like Double Trouble and Joker seem to support that notion.

Honestly though, I thought the gameplay and music were really tight in Children of Mana, but I just have a hard time going back to that GBA look. So many folks say that graphics don't matter...well, for me they do. I won't go into a whole diatribe about graphics over gameplay, but I want the whole kit & kabootle. However, Ring of Fates actually has some more interesting gameplay aspects, I think, especially later on in the game. Plus, with four characters to control, there's definitely strategy that needs to be considered. It's a double-edged sword, though, because your AI characters are what they are, and they ain't perfect. They fall off edges, fall into water, don't attack often enough, etc. But it's still a really fun game, all the same.