Gaming Any hack and slash RPGs?

Joboman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
just wondering if there are any decent ones out there for the ds. i've tried lunar knights.. which i didn't really like.. but children of mana is pretty good. my favorite all time ever was shining soul two for the GBA.. so if you know any.. please let me know =]

Truliche

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ecuador
Isn't Orc & Elves a hack 'n slash?

Anyways you might want to try out FF Crystal Chronicles, sure its in japanese but its very playable and its pretty fun.

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
Trophies
XP
Country
Isn't Orc & Elves a hack 'n slash?

Anyways you might want to try out FF Crystal Chronicles, sure its in japanese but its very playable and its pretty fun.

Yes and it looks amazingly fun. A lot more action than the traditional screen-by-screen RPGs from yore (and now, like Redshift's Legend).
I wait Orc & Elves drooling.

Besides that and the one you tried, I can't recommend any other. Baldur's Gate GBA maybe.. but I was playing it a couple of days ago and it is really boring.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm playing through Ring of Fates right now, and it's damn fun. But it also calls for a bit of strategy, since you're playing with a party of four characters. Very cool game, though, if you don't mind not understanding the story (it's in Japanese). It starts out as too easy, but ramps up quite nicely. By the later levels you'll likely have to grind a bit in order to keep up with the monsters' strength.

Porkdish

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hanging out for Dungeon Explorer... must. have. it!
http://dungeon-explorer.com/DS/movie/index.html
tingle_want.gif

moggymatt

Trophies
Website
ds-scene.net
XP
Country
other than those mentioned....All these have little RPG elements to them as well as hack 'n slash

Dynasty Warriors DS Fighters Battle is not that bad, but little boring after a while. I still finished it.

Children of Mana is a dungeon crawler. think this will be right up your street.

both Castlevania are great.

Lunar Knights is great too. why didn't you like it?

EDIT: I didn't read the first post properly sorry. Eragon is not bad, its not great either.

Joboman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
wow thanks for all the replies. i didn't really like the graphics on lunar knights but i'll still probably play it after i finish children on mana. im amazed no one has mentioned phantom hourglass even though i've already beaten it. as for the japanese games, i'll probably wait for the english release if there is going to be one.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow thanks for all the replies. i didn't really like the graphics on lunar knights but i'll still probably play it after i finish children on mana. im amazed no one has mentioned phantom hourglass even though i've already beaten it. as for the japanese games, i'll probably wait for the english release if there is going to be one.

There should be an English release of Ring of Fates sometime next year, but I couldn't wait that long. I tried to...

As for Phantom Hourglass, it's definitely not a hack & slash. More an action / puzzler than anything else, I'd say. But also the best damn game on the DS currently -- flat out!

I feel your disappointment though with the look of Lunar Knights, and I didn't feel any better about Children of Mana. To me those games would look great on the GBA, but on the DS...not so much. I can't help but appreciate good 3-D graphics, or a nice mixture of 3-D & 2-D, ala Rune Factory.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes and it looks amazingly fun. A lot more action than the traditional screen-by-screen RPGs from yore (and now, like Redshift's Legend).

I wait Orc & Elves drooling.
Its pretty much an advance port of the awesome mobile game but with a ton of stuff added. Looking forward to it now even though at first I didn't like how it looked originally.

They're also thinking of bringing Doom RPG to the DS if it Orcs & Elves does well which is also an excellent game.

Next year there'll be Dungeon Explorer which is a hack and slasher more like Diablo.

makku_minezu

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
maybe OP was referring to games like untold legends or dungeon siege on that other handheld
wink.gif
Im still waiting for a top down isometric game where I continously grind to gain levels and get exponentially better loot
laugh.gif

A good hack and slasher u can get for DS right now is children of mana
yaynds.gif

cant wait for english FF:CC
grog.gif

Truliche

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ecuador
wow thanks for all the replies. i didn't really like the graphics on lunar knights but i'll still probably play it after i finish children on mana. im amazed no one has mentioned phantom hourglass even though i've already beaten it. as for the japanese games, i'll probably wait for the english release if there is going to be one.

There should be an English release of Ring of Fates sometime next year, but I couldn't wait that long. I tried to...

As for Phantom Hourglass, it's definitely not a hack & slash. More an action / puzzler than anything else, I'd say. But also the best damn game on the DS currently -- flat out!

I feel your disappointment though with the look of Lunar Knights, and I didn't feel any better about Children of Mana. To me those games would look great on the GBA, but on the DS...not so much. I can't help but appreciate good 3-D graphics, or a nice mixture of 3-D & 2-D, ala Rune Factory.

3D is very nice but great 2D art, especially considering the DS's shitty texture filtering, can be great as well but I agree, 3D/2D combination is the best of both worlds, a la Elite Beat Agents.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3D is very nice but great 2D art, especially considering the DS's shitty texture filtering, can be great as well but I agree, 3D/2D combination is the best of both worlds, a la Elite Beat Agents.

Not to go too far off on a tangent, but I don't think the DS can do texture filtering at all, can it? I believe developers can perhaps do some anti-aliasing, but it doesn't look like most folks put that kind of effort into DS games. Phantom Hourglass is probably the paragon of good 3-D on the DS. But I think cel-shading seems to work particularly well with 3-D on the DS, and games like Double Trouble and Joker seem to support that notion.

Honestly though, I thought the gameplay and music were really tight in Children of Mana, but I just have a hard time going back to that GBA look. So many folks say that graphics don't matter...well, for me they do. I won't go into a whole diatribe about graphics over gameplay, but I want the whole kit & kabootle. However, Ring of Fates actually has some more interesting gameplay aspects, I think, especially later on in the game. Plus, with four characters to control, there's definitely strategy that needs to be considered. It's a double-edged sword, though, because your AI characters are what they are, and they ain't perfect. They fall off edges, fall into water, don't attack often enough, etc. But it's still a really fun game, all the same.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I really don't want to buy this fap tab...