Any good Strategy RPG games?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by airpirate545, Mar 27, 2008.

Mar 27, 2008
  1. airpirate545
    OP

Member airpirate545 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I've been looking for some good strategy RPG games for the DS(and GBA) but I haven't found anything great... Do you guys have any suggestions?

2. shadow theory

Member shadow theory GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I liked Tactics Ogre: Knights of Lodis (GBA), wasn't a big fan of FFTA, but a lot of people like it. (Final Fantasy Tactics Advance also GBA.)

3. Scoobos

Newcomer Scoobos Advanced Member

Has to be Fire Emblem, quality games by the makers of advance wars.

4. Demi

Member Demi GBAtemp Regular

United States
    FFT Advance - gba
    Tactics Ogre - gba
    Fire Emblem - gba
    Rebelstar Tactical Advance - gba
    Yggdra Union - gba

5. airpirate545
    OP

Member airpirate545 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    thanks for all the suggestions guys, I'll look into em. And yes FE and AW are teh awesome.

6. Kaos

Member Kaos Good show!

Australia
    Luminous Arc (DS) is pretty good, and it's got a sequel coming soon as well.

7. Curley5959

Member Curley5959 CCC Member!

Australia
    Whats Fire Emblem about??

8. Ruri

Member Ruri GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    The Fire Emblem games are fairly traditional fantasy strategy RPGs... I think the first game in the series (for the NES, never released in English) may have been the first strategy RPG, period. The series hasn't changed that much since then, so in some ways it can seem like a bit of a regression, but it's fun if you like old things.

Anyway, for the GBA, there are a few more that haven't been mentioned...

Yu Yu Hakusho - Ghostfiles - Tournament Tactics is a strategy RPG based on the anime of the same name, but you don't have to have seen the anime to enjoy it. It's pretty fun, anyway.

Onimusha Tactics is a strategy-RPG loosely based on the Onimusha series. Sort of fun. Status effects are overpowered in this one for some reason... they never fail unless the enemy is totally immune to them (and few are; even several of the early bosses are vulnerable to sleep.) Still, that's fun, too, in a way.

Both of the above are fairly traditional FFT-style strategy RPG games, aside from their own quirks.

Also, the Super Robot Wars games (Original Generation and Original Generation 2 are the only ones released in English.) They're very, very good strategy RPGs, although they're sci-fi themed instead of fantasy.

For the DS, there are fewer options, and the most obvious ones other people have already mentioned. For one other game that's often overlooked: Battles of Prince of Persia is fairly strategy-RPGish... you don't keep your units between battles or level them or anything, but it still have a strong strategy RPG vibe. (You collect cards and use them for various special abilities in battle instead... it's better than it sounds.) Anyway, it's better than you'd expect, and not just a license cash-in. (That goes for the two games above, too.)

9. Bob Evil

Member Bob Evil The Department of Home-Made Insecurity

United Kingdom
    Hoshigami

10. cutterjohn

Member cutterjohn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Riviera?

...and Rune Factory sort of applies IMO, if you consider the farming stuff to be strategyish...

11. NYCvinster

Member NYCvinster GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'll have to agree with people suggesting Fire Emblem, this was strategy game that made me stop hating strategy games (and I really enjoyed the story/characters). I briefly tried the Prince of Persia game for the DS, but couldn't get into it (and characters didn't upgrade).
    I've played the Super Robot Taisen games for the GBA, but the sci-fi theme didn't appeal to me. (plus I played these right after playing Fire Emblem and I think maybe it was a step in the wrong direction for me....gosh I loved Fire Emblem).

...And RURI: as to Yu Yu Hakusho - Ghostfiles, is that in english? I'll have to search that one out.

12. DonLeon

Newcomer DonLeon Advanced Member

Indonesia
    hey guys you forgot something "SUMMON NIGHT"
    the best GBA RPG game beside tales of phantasia ^^

13. Turmoil

Member Turmoil GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    DonLeon, the topic is about Strategy RPG or SRPG's which is not all RPG's its a subset of games that have strategy and RPG elements.
    Summon Nights while a great game is not a SRPG thus why no one else mentioned it yet =D

Easy mistake to make, no biggy [​IMG]

14. Ruri

Member Ruri GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Yes, it has an English version. It's a bit unusual for an anime-based game to be brought over, yeah, but for some reason this one was.

And technically the main Summon Night series, for the PSX/PS2, is all strategy-RPGs. But those never came out in the US and obviously aren't for the DS. [​IMG]

15. Turmoil

Member Turmoil GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Well he did say GBA RPG. And summon nights 1 and 2 are scheduled for a DS release, well in Japan (prays for a US release)

16. Overwhelming

Member Overwhelming GBAtemp Fan

Portugal
    BTW, are there any plans/rumours about a Fire Emblem for the DS?

17. gov78

Member gov78 Ha made you Look

United Kingdom
    there is one in creation its a remake of the classic nes version

18. Sendoh

Member Sendoh GBAtemp Regular

Singapore
    For the DS, Front Mission is a pretty good game. Tried Luminous Arc, didn't like the poor character and plot development, and shallow, linear gameplay (compared to FFTA). I didn't try Hoshigami, but I don't think it'll entertain (me at least). FFTA2 is coming out somewhere in June. Definitely worth getting, that one.

19. eldaddio

Newcomer eldaddio Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Let's not forget the awesome news that Disgaea is being released for DS!

20. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    FFTA2! JUNE! AHG YES!

sorry. um... you guys have mentioned most of the good ones. oh Onimushu Tactics wasnt bad. GBA