Gaming Any good RPG games for DS?

Kellicros

Trophies
XP
Country
warmijwilfaain said:
Agreed with thebobevil, they're not RPGs =\
You play 'the role' as Mario, yet they're not RPGS (well, yeah, Mario & Luigi, Paper Mario, and Super Mario RPG aren't...)... same could be said for 'Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3' where you play 'the role' of Tony Hawk, so that makes it an RPG?
Wooot! Let's add Devil May Cry, Resident Evil, Ninja Gaiden, and Metal Gear Solid(Snake... SNAAKEE!!!) to that bunch of RPGs.
biggrin.gif

*cough*

I would recommend:

The World Ends With You
Magical Starsign

These are personal favorites but currently in Japanese only:
Tales of Innocence
Final Fantasy 4

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I can't believe no one is recommending the best RPG on the system:

Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker

Soon to be eclipsed by FFIV DS.

BTW, there was a topic and a poll on this not too long ago. Dig it up.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kwan said:
No offence but zelda phantom hourglass was such a let down. The graphics were nice alright, storyline just fine but then all the other zelda games were so much more challenaging like oceania of time *however you spell it =P* it was so much harder and much better this one was just too easy for any zelda fans=/
To be honest, I loved it when I played a bit in Japanese and then I finished the US release but when I got the actual Europe cart, I was a bit bored. Usually I can replay a Zelda game very shortly after finishing it and still find new things and find it exciting, this one not so.

Despite the feeling of repetition (after more than 25 years of Zelda games its to be expected) and its easiness I still thinks its a very good game, just would be nice if Nintendo had something NEW for the series other than the way you control, like how Majora's Mask was different to Ocarina of Time and Zelda II was to Zelda.

D

Deleted User

wilddenim said:
warmijwilfaain - Yeah I know it's not a RPG, I was just recommending it. Okay?
QUOTE(Lisa_ @ Apr 24 2008, 11:40 PM) Any good RPG games for DS? I'm looking for one like the DBZ Legacy of Goku for GBA and stuff like that =]

And I'm saying as it's not an RPG it's not what he asked for, so it shouldn't have been posted in this thread
unsure.gif

(Sorry if I'm sounding like a minimod or something lol, just saying that it doesn't apply)

Vater Unser

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hadrian said:
kwan said:
No offence but zelda phantom hourglass was such a let down. The graphics were nice alright, storyline just fine but then all the other zelda games were so much more challenaging like oceania of time *however you spell it =P* it was so much harder and much better this one was just too easy for any zelda fans=/
To be honest, I loved it when I played a bit in Japanese and then I finished the US release but when I got the actual Europe cart, I was a bit bored. Usually I can replay a Zelda game very shortly after finishing it and still find new things and find it exciting, this one not so.

Despite the feeling of repetition (after more than 25 years of Zelda games its to be expected) and its easiness I still thinks its a very good game
True...Phantom Hourglass is a great game, and easily one of the best on the DS...but as a Zelda game, it fails in virtually any aspect possible.
What good is an adventure game that's based around dungeons and puzzles if it lacks any trace of a challenge? It's as exciting as Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (the movie) would be if there were no Nazis, the temple housing the Holy Grail had no traps and there were no false Grails to choose from
dry.gif

They should have marketed Phantom Hourglass as a Zelda-spinoff and made a proper Zelda game instead...
The worst thing is that throughout the whole game, you can clearly see and feel it's just a half-assed effort which is not worthy of a Zelda game (remember when "Zelda" was a synonym for "the game of all games"?)...It's a Zelda game, for god's sake, and a Zelda game is certainly not the right game to fool around with (like basing it on a semi-2D-engine with minimal details and blocks so big, everything looks blocky even on the map )
lecture.gif

just would be nice if Nintendo had something NEW for the series other than the way you control, like how Majora's Mask was different to Ocarina of Time and Zelda II was to Zelda.
I'd actually prefer them going back to the roots for once to make a game that's more like A Link to the Past...no Ocarina, no annoying fairies, no masks, no sailing, no Twilight Zone, no Midna, no Wolf-Link...Just Link, a kickass Hyrule, some kickass towns, a kickass villain and some kickass dungeons with some kickass puzzle designs. That's what makes a Zelda game, fuck all the gimmicks
nyanya.gif

I'm not ruling out any new additions and innovations of course, but they really should put their focus on the basics again, IMO

To stay on topic:
I'm not playing that many RPGs, but from those that I've played so far, Contact is my favorite by far...it has its flaws, but hey, at least it's not another run-of-the-mill RPG that's just like hundreds of other RPGs out there...And finally a game on the DS that's clearly aimed at veteran core gamers
wink.gif

It's the first game in ages that's able to catch the flair and atmosphere of classic SNES RPGs...it's much like Secret of Evermore, I think, so if you liked that, you should certainly try Contact
yaynds.gif

Artheido

Trophies
Website
artheido.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Currently, the best RPG that came out in English would be Children of Mana. I don't know why, I just love that game and the entire ARPG series (ARPG != Heroes of Mana)

The World Ends with You is a great, recently released ARPG, good storyline and battle system is new-ish.
Luminous Arc was a good SRPG
Rondo of Swords battle system is unique and strategical.
Mario and Luigi - Partners in Time was OK

If you like rogue-likes, I would say Shiren DS is your best bet.

Japanese RPGs are the best, gameplay-wise. However, I don't understand any of the dialogue so there's not much point.

Oh and TLOZ isn't an RPG -.- Nintendo place it in the Action/Adventure genre along with every other major gaming site.

Vater Unser

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
ugh, I hate Children of Mana...
It took me only 8 hours to watch the credits, and the game still managed to bore me halfway through
wacko.gif

Okay, the game IS fun at first...but it repeats over and over and over...you're visiting the same dungeons again and again, solve the same objectives and puzzles again and again, beat the same enemies again and again, and once in a while you get to fight a boss who's ridiculously easy
glare.gif

I don't know much about dungeon crawlers to be honest, but I'm sure this game has little to offer even (or especially?) for fans of this genre...the combat system has little depth, the dungeons are tiny and offer little variety, it's not challenging and not a rewarding experience overall
frown.gif

Anyone who's played Legend of Mana will hate Children of Mana, because it basically is Legend of Mana minus the awesome combat system, the awesome graphics, the awesome quest system, the awesome characters, the awesome music, the awesome towns and all the other awesome features...what a waste of time
mad.gif

kwan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Children of mana and Hero's of mana is simply just shit. Worest RPG i have played sorry.
and just as said before phantom hourglass phail in everyaspect iam sorry. btw wii's twilight prinecess is wat i call a real zelda game=]

Awdofgum

Wadofgum
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thebobevil said:
Zelda games are not RPGs ... They are action-adventures ...

QFT, Link never goes up a level and never does he “miss” even though you hit an enemy with a sword.

FF3 was IMO the best RPG on DS

kwan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Lol wat ever. The point being is that phantom hourglass was a epic phailure if you measure it up to other zelda games, that feeling wasn't in the game. And FFIII was really good old school rpg.

cupajoe

Have a cup of joe!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
altorn said:
Mario and Luigi : Partners in Time.
smile.gif

(more and more threads sprouting with questions "What games are good with this genre?"
ohmy.gif
)
Probably because they want to boost their post count...

But the best RPGs for DS would include TWEWY, Dragon Quest IV, Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker, Final Fantasy III/IV, Soma Bringer, and Mario and Luigi: Partners in time.

Harpuia

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cupajoe38 said:
altorn said:
Mario and Luigi : Partners in Time.
smile.gif

(more and more threads sprouting with questions "What games are good with this genre?"
ohmy.gif
)
Probably because they want to boost their post count...

But the best RPGs for DS would include TWEWY, Dragon Quest IV, Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker, Final Fantasy III/IV, Soma Bringer, and Mario and Luigi: Partners in time.

I second this post! Exactly what I had in mind.
grog.gif

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gestahl said:
DS is not an RPG machine. PSP on the other hand is a true JRPG sanctuary.
Are you on crack? None of the three supposed RPGs for the PSP are evenly remotely good...

[EDIT]
Unless you mean running PSX RPGs on the PSP, and others under other emulators, e.g. SNES, etc.

The native RPGs for PSP are pretty pathetic...
[/EDIT]

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all