Gaming Any good JRPG that is availble in English?

DarkStriker

GBAtemp's Kpop lover!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
That is not:
FF
Disgaea
Hyperdimension Neptunia
Trinity Universe
Atelier series
Resonance of Fate
Valkyria Chronicles
Dark Souls and/or Demon Souls
Eternal Sonata
Cross Edge
White Knight 1&2
Agarest
From PSN Store
Upcoming JRPGS that is being localized (Tales of Graces etc...)

Quite a huge demand, but finished games is finished games ;) I bet i listed almost all JRPGs too that has been localized lol.

EDIT: And Star Ocean.. How can i forget that! Bought it on release from canada lol.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it? Cause ive heard poor reviews when it landed stateside and then later i begin hearing everyone that plays it loves it to death.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ive heard mixed things about Nier. But like prowly says, just do it.

Mixed indeed.
The average person likes it.
Any brainless CoDfanboy who thinks every game should be in first person perspective with online multiplayer, dislikes it.

A person is one or the other.

I ended up seeing a video for Nier pretty much on the day of its launch, and went out the next day to rent it.
After returning it to the videostore, I bought it.
It's amazing.

EDIT: and SE didn't pay any money for good reviews, so official review sites unleashed their most rabid sports gaming fans and CoD enthusiasts to review Nier.

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My friend loves Star Ocean, but then he loves EVERY GAME EVER. If you have truly finished all those other games, you're looking at a big serving of Star Ocean. Be careful though, I heard the final dungeon is a pain in the butt.

Distrance

矢澤にこ
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Star Ocean sucks though. Well, the battle system does.

Wait few months for the fan translation of Tales of Vesperia and play that :P

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Star Ocean sucks though. Well, the battle system does.
>Says Star Ocean sucks
>Thinking you was going to comment on the story sucking
>Says the battle system sucks
nv1Nb.gif

Maverick Lunar X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was looking forward to Star Ocean back when it came out. LOVED Second Story and TTEOT. Always enjoyed Tri-Ace material.

Then I heard the main characters name was Edge Maverick. While everyone elses names were typical Japanese names. But I figured "hey, maybe I can get passed it. It's just a name."

Then came the voice acting. I never made it passed the tutorial.

Supercool330

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edit: Just realized this is the PS3 subforum, in which case the below list is less applicable (considering I don't think there is a single PS3 game on there).
The only PS3 game not on your list that comes to mind right away is Enchanted Arms.

Xenoblade
Any of the Tales of games (Abyss 3DS, Vesperia, Symphonia(GC), Phantasia (DeJap is still the best))
Arc Rise Phantasia (find an undub)
Infinite Undiscovery
Lost Odyssey
Blue Dragon
The Last Story
Magna Carta
Skies of Arcadia (if you don't mind GC)
Rogue Galaxy (PS2)
Dark Cloud (PS2)
Xenogears (PS2)
Xenosaga (PS2)
.hack (PS2, GU games are better than the first 4)

If you give a console and your preferences I can give a more complete and specific list. Also note, the above list is not in any particular order. Also, there are about a million (ok 30) really good SNES JRPGS that are completely worth playing, some of which are IMHO infinitely better than the modern JRPGS (see tales of phantasia).

elgarta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was looking forward to Star Ocean back when it came out. LOVED Second Story and TTEOT. Always enjoyed Tri-Ace material.

Then I heard the main characters name was Edge Maverick. While everyone elses names were typical Japanese names. But I figured "hey, maybe I can get passed it. It's just a name."

Then came the voice acting. I never made it passed the tutorial.

International edition fixes this ;)

I put up with it until you got to the village with that little girl joins you who says "kay?" all the time. My god that made me so mad and I stopped playing until I picked up the PS3 international edition.

The battle system is interesting enough and the story is alright. It wasn't quite what I expected after playing the original Star ocean rom and playing Second story on the PSP, but it isn't too bad for an 'origins' style story for a game series.

Another suggestion is Enchanted Arms. Now it was hated pretty bad by some people, but it isn't too bad if you accept it for what it is. The english dub is cringe-worthy, but I found the story to be interesting and the battle system was different too.. Also, the roster of characters you can use in battle is quite large, and finding the golems gives a reason to explore the dungeons. I love games with a large roster of playable characters to select in battle (Suikoden ftw) :D

Edit: Or if you don't mind older consoles you have Secret of Mana, Seiken Densetsu 3, Tales of Phantasia, Bahamut Lagoon & Chrono Trigger are a few on SNES (There are some more unknown ones if you dig around for SNES Fan translations)

You also have PSX ones like Arc the Lad (Not my favourite), Alundra, Suikoden 1 & 2, Grandia, Wild Arms 1 & 2 just to name a few.. And I can't really think of any from PS2 onwards that aren't graphical remakes of older titles, Final Fantasy related or re-made for the PSP.

Still, plenty of JRPG action out there if you look around. As mentioned above, even alot of the older titles still stand strong today. I still haven't seen all the endings for Chrono Trigger >.>

Supercool330

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ya, SNES is the way to go for great JRPGs (especially if you are a retro fan), and those can just be played on pc with an emulator (or since you mentioned no PSN, I assume your PS3 is hacked, in which case you can use the SNES emulator for the PS3). The PS1 and PS2 also had a decent number of really good JRPGs, and you can get a PS2 for relatively cheap now a days (or you can try PCSX2, but I had mixed experiences last time I tried it, which was admittedly like 4 years ago) . GC had a few decent JRPGs (symbphonia, skies of arcadia, and baten kaitos come to mind), so if you can find a GC compatible Wii I would say grab because between GC and Wii there are at least a dozen decent JRPGs. Original XBOX had shit for JRPGs (I can't think of any that were XBOX exclusive worth playing), but the 360 has a few great one (I loved Lost Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia, and Infinite Undiscovery), but that is definitely more expensive than the previous three options.

DarkStriker

GBAtemp's Kpop lover!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
Sorry but i have no intentions to play on other consoles than PS3. Even if it means to run a emulator, im not doing it. And sorry everyone forgot to list Star Ocean >.

Supercool330

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ya I wasn't a huge fan of enchanted arms either, but I thought I would throw it up there. Oh, and skip Ratatosk, I don't even recognize it as a tales game. The cover art for Lost Odyssey is a little... odd, and the game has a similar art style, but it grows on you really quickly, and that game had one of the most interesting plots for a JRPG in a while (and it was made by Sakaguchi). Only thing about Lost Odyssey is I wish they would remake it for PS3 so it would fit on a single disk. If you've played all of those, then I'm gonna guess that SNES is your best bet.

DarkStriker

GBAtemp's Kpop lover!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
Ya I wasn't a huge fan of enchanted arms either, but I thought I would throw it up there. Oh, and skip Ratatosk, I don't even recognize it as a tales game. The cover art for Lost Odyssey is a little... odd, and the game has a similar art style, but it grows on you really quickly, and that game had one of the most interesting plots for a JRPG in a while (and it was made by Sakaguchi). Only thing about Lost Odyssey is I wish they would remake it for PS3 so it would fit on a single disk. If you've played all of those, then I'm gonna guess that SNES is your best bet.
Ah, Im at the end on Ratatosk. I havent bothered to finish it becasue training the monsters is way more fun than finishing the game lol xD.
Well hopefully someone knows anymore PS3 titles thats JRPG. I was thinking of checking Nier tommorow or something :)

mori123

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Some Ps3 RPGS you failed to list.

Ar Toneilco Qoga Knerll of Ar Ciel
Last Rebellion ( a friend Claims its good i have not got to it yet)
Rune Factory Tides of Destiny

Those would be ones not mentioned, which are good games

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Speaking of PLaystation. I see Evilnat put out a beta for PS3 CFW 4.91.2 on the 22nd.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't really see the point in updating it tbh
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Don't really see the point in updating it tbh