Toscanelli

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Hi,

after years I digged out my 5.5.2 Wii U and when I launch the web browser the error "160-1710" occurs. After some research I'd like to try updating the firmware, but not to the latest version 5.5.5 to have some headroom. Are there games that contain firmware 5.5.3 or 5.5.4 for an offline update?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
btw, updates for games come in the sys folder iirc, beside the code, content, and meta folders. you'd only have that issue with disc games. online games don't contain the folder, since it's assumed you're on the latest.

Toscanelli

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
I don't know. It's been too long. I now tried "Delete All Content and Settings" but the browser or system update still doesn't work after Wii U setup. From my nand backup I could only find otp.bin and seeprom.bin.

mlc.full.img, slc.full.img and slccmpt.full.img are missing.

I think it's gone :/

Toscanelli

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
I guess the fixing process would somehow look like this?

1. hardmod MLC dump
2. decrypt with OTP.bin
3. ???
4. encrypt with OPT.bin
5. flash modified MLC

Toscanelli

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Thanks for the suggestion. I used Mocha which requires a working web browser. Since the browser refuses to start I can't access Homebrew Launcher to run FTPiiU.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
btw, if this works, you may be able to fix your browser if you have a backup of the mlc and use wfs-extract on it. I think there might also be a nus thing of some sort for the wii u to download system title updates to decrypt, then replace files.

Reactions: Toscanelli

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Sorry to get into this thread out of nowhere. The mention of the 160-0103 error turned on my brain.

I've got a Wii U (second hand) that goes through the first setup process up to the point of language selection but then comes to that same error message, and I can't do anything afterwards but restart the console up to the same error message in an endless loop.

Does someone know how can I go into fixing this? I don't have a NAND backup, because I've got the Wii U as it is right now.

Thanks in advance.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
afaik, bluUbomb only works if you can connect the gamepad (not sure about wiimote), but if you can't connect anything yet, then I don't think it's going to work. no idea how to fix this problem.

Toscanelli

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Does someone know how can I go into fixing this?

I finally found time to further investigate the issue. According to the crash log files in "storage_slc/logs" it's most likely the MLC that has gone bad. The Wii U tries to read a Internet Browser related file but fails and gives a fatal error. Replacing or deleting this file does not work. This indicates a bad memory block. Unfortunately I don't think there is way to tell the system "don't use that block". I likely have to replace the NAND chip.

• Sad
Reactions: KleinesSinchen

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I finally found time to further investigate the issue. According to the crash log files in "storage_slc/logs" it's most likely the MLC that has gone bad. The Wii U tries to read a Internet Browser related file but fails and gives a fatal error. Replacing or deleting this file does not work. This indicates a bad memory block. Unfortunately I don't think there is way to tell the system "don't use that block". I likely have to replace the NAND chip.
But replacing the NAND chip would be only usefull, if and only if, you've had a NAND backup, right?

Sadly in my case, I've got no NAND backup, so I'll have to wait that some solution comes to light.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
But replacing the NAND chip would be only usefull, if and only if, you've had a NAND backup, right?

Sadly in my case, I've got no NAND backup, so I'll have to wait that some solution comes to light.
NAND image should be possible for OP; minus the bad block(s). It is worth a try. Of course it won't work when the OS doesn't fully start like in your case. I see no real solution unless somebody finds a usable exploit at boot time or a signed SD boot image appears.
=====

The OTP is theoretically enough. If one has the possibility the replace the NAND, it should be done because:
a) It is cool to do something like that.​
b) "Just replace the console! It is cheaper and easier." is not a solution in the long run with the limited number of Wii U.​
Partially off-topic: Has anybody tried to replace the NAND with a larger version? Would it be possible to have a 256GB NAND and install games internally? I mean there are the 8GB and the 32GB version… so the OS is kind of flexible in this regard.

Try to backup now (if no backup exists). Maybe the NAND goes all bad.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: