Hardware Any fixes for PS3 RSoD? "Serious error has occurred" 3.56 downgradeable, CECHL03, not running CFW

MUTANTWIZARD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Heya everybody, I'm new here! I made this account in hopes that someone may be able to help me solve this issue on an old PS3 I have, I've been looking around forums for hours today and have found nothing that has been able to help me. The system I'm having trouble with is a 3.56 downgradeable CECHL03 PS3 that my dad has had sat in the attic since like 2011, it has been there because of a RSoD problem that rendered it useless for him. I thought I'd attempt fix it and use it for homebrew since it wasn't in use for anything else, I booted into the safe mode menu and tried to every option on the list hoping that would do the trick, but no dice, gives me the same red screen of death error every time, except for the system update option, which denies the update saying that it is "The data is corrupted. (8002F2B5)" despite the fact that I tested this update on another PS3 in the house that accepted and installed it just fine. So I swapped out the hard drive with a clean 1TB 5400rpm Seagate HDD and started trying to install the update onto it thinking that maybe the stock hard drive in the PS3 had died or something, however when I tried that, it still gave the same corrupted data error along with the same error code. At this point I'm clueless as to what to do, which is why I've turned to this forum. If anyone knows a solution or requires any further info about the system, just say and I'll be happy to comply depending on what it is. Thanks!
20190916_204002.jpg
20190916_203911.jpg
20190916_203616.jpg
20190916_203722.jpg

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Any chance it was converted to DEX/SEX/whatever and are using the wrong update? (though I'm not sure if that was a thing in 2011)

Else it's VTRM (part of the NOR) corruption as NOR fats are famous for, which would mean time for a hardmod (you're exactly one update too high to use a service jig)

Reactions: MUTANTWIZARD

MUTANTWIZARD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Any chance it was converted to DEX/SEX/whatever and are using the wrong update? (though I'm not sure if that was a thing in 2011)

Else it's VTRM (part of the NOR) corruption as NOR fats are famous for, which would mean time for a hardmod (you're exactly one update too high to use a service jig)
Unfortunately, I don't know how to check whether the system was converted to DEX or SEX, however the system has never been modified in anyway as far as I know and should be as vanilla as a PS3 can be.

About the hardmod, how exactly would I go through with it and would it be worth the hassle over just buying another PS3 on ebay?

Thanks!

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Unfortunately, I don't know how to check whether the system was converted to DEX or SEX, however the system has never been modified in anyway as far as I know and should be as vanilla as a PS3 can be.
At least we can be reasonably certain that's not the case, then :) (especially if you happen remember updating it the official way before it broke)

About the hardmod, how exactly would I go through with it and would it be worth the hassle over just buying another PS3 on ebay?
You'd need to backup your NOR with a programmer ("E3 flasher" is a popular name, can't vouch for or against its quality), from there you can find out whatever is the actual problem, and also apply a "nofsm patch" (equivalent to the famous ps3xploit flash writer but available for more versions) which would allow you to install a vtrm-ignoring cfw and from there actually fix it... assuming of course it's a vtrm problem and not something else!

My personal opinion is that a personal challenge that's also an attempt to avoid e-waste is always worth it, but of course it's your console...

D

Deleted User

Heya everybody, I'm new here! I made this account in hopes that someone may be able to help me solve this issue on an old PS3 I have, I've been looking around forums for hours today and have found nothing that has been able to help me. The system I'm having trouble with is a 3.56 downgradeable CECHL03 PS3 that my dad has had sat in the attic since like 2011, it has been there because of a RSoD problem that rendered it useless for him. I thought I'd attempt fix it and use it for homebrew since it wasn't in use for anything else, I booted into the safe mode menu and tried to every option on the list hoping that would do the trick, but no dice, gives me the same red screen of death error every time, except for the system update option, which denies the update saying that it is "The data is corrupted. (8002F2B5)" despite the fact that I tested this update on another PS3 in the house that accepted and installed it just fine. So I swapped out the hard drive with a clean 1TB 5400rpm Seagate HDD and started trying to install the update onto it thinking that maybe the stock hard drive in the PS3 had died or something, however when I tried that, it still gave the same corrupted data error along with the same error code. At this point I'm clueless as to what to do, which is why I've turned to this forum. If anyone knows a solution or requires any further info about the system, just say and I'll be happy to comply depending on what it is. Thanks! View attachment 179633 View attachment 179634 View attachment 179635 View attachment 179636

Fixed many of these over the years

Have to downgrade to 3.55 to fix

MUTANTWIZARD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Alright thanks guys, really helped me out today! :D I'll look into fixing it up and downgrading it with an E3 flasher soon enough. Probably the last question I'll ask in this thread, but are there any specific places I can look for one of these flashers? I want to make sure I'm getting the correct item.

Thanks!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Where's everybody?