Hacking Any fix yet for Castlevania: POR on R4DS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darksavior

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the firmware was never meant to fix this game. the ONLY way to be fixed is by getting a fast card. I don't get why it's so hard for ppl to comprehend this.

henry_uk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ive been playing this game on a cheap brand card for a couple of weeks, with near on 100% completeless now. I didnt even know about the freeze problem till I read this thread
tongue.gif

Ender15

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Considering the fastest microSD cards are Toshibas, it would be understandable if you are playing with a cheap card and getting no freezes.

After all with Kingston you basically pay extra for the name and warranty.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Considering the fastest microSD cards are Toshibas, it would be understandable if you are playing with a cheap card and getting no freezes.

After all with Kingston you basically pay extra for the name and warranty.
I've never seen a Toshiba SD-C01G for less than twice the price of the 1 gig Kingston.

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I can play it perfectly on my R4 (1GB Kingston Japan) and G6 Lite, still I bought it cause it's a great game. I'd say the best fix is buy it
tongue.gif

darksavior

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As i've said in previous posts, if you want to make sure 100% of getting one, call kingston directly and specify a japanese card. it was $13US for me. Might be cheaper as time passes.

breezie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dealextreme carries the 1gb kingston JAPAN version for $15 shipped or you can get one with the R4 for $44 shipped... not too bad if you can handle the long shipping time--- at least they ensure that it's the JAPAN version... I just beat POR with it~

kuni

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interestingly, I played P.O.R last night with infinite lives (or HP) enabled using the R4 cheat.

It may have been the drugs and the lack of time I spent playing, but it didn't crash on me at the warp room, and I did mash the usual freeze-induce-causing buttons.

Anyone who isn't as lazy as I want to try this out a little further?

DoS

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
I read a lot about this issue. I still don't have my R4, but I got my 1GB Kingston (SD-C01G JAPAN) and I'm preparing it for the arrival of my R4 this week. I formatted it using FAT16 and 64K cluster value.

A. Is this kind of format unneeded in Kingston Japan?
B. Does anyone have negative issues with this formatting while playing PoR and using the Kingston Japan?
C. Is there a way to quickly test if the game will crash in the beggining? Or there is the need to progress deep within it to reach a warp point and test the issue?

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I read a lot about this issue. I still don't have my R4, but I got my 1GB Kingston (SD-C01G JAPAN) and I'm preparing it for the arrival of my R4 this week. I formatted it using FAT16 and 64K cluster value.

B. Does anyone have negative issues with this formatting while playing PoR and using the Kingston Japan?
C. Is there a way to quickly test if the game will crash in the beggining? Or there is the need to progress deep within it to reach a warp point and test the issue?

Just go in and out of a portal a couple of times (go in the room, press up at the portal, then press B and leave the room, and try again until you can't leave the room) until you feel satisfied you won't use that many portals in your life.

DoS

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
I heard of this test, but what I asked is if this test is accessible early in the game or if you have to progress a lot to find the first warp point.

I want to test the issue to see if my card is OK right in the beggining to relax.

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I haven't exactly played PoR, but I believe you start off near Vincent and Wind (the shop and quest guys), and sometimes people say they crash. The next portal isn't that much further IIRC.

Awdofgum

Wadofgum
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been luckily able to beat POR on my A-Data Speedy where some people have confirmed it freezing up on theirs.

SargeSmash

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's Castlevania, people. Just buy it, you know you want to.

That being said, the Patriot MicroSDs work well. And updating the firmware does have some effect on the freezing, I tested it myself. But the quality of the card you're using is paramount to all other considerations.

dan0f3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't check the forums in a while for fix on Castlevania: POR for R4DS but I was wondering if anyone got this game to work without freezing. Thank you all for your time. Did the new 1.6 FW for R4DS fix this?

Ok first wanna say that i totally agree with the others in that the R4DS has nothing to do with this problem. It is, at this point, the SD card... AND apparently the original cassette freezes at some points. The places where freezes are most likely to occur are:
: ghost room spamming Wind.
: Portals/warps.
: others? oh yeah, just spamming the start button the monster list, and the maps.
So there are many points but its not so random, i think.

Fixes as of r4ds 1.10: Again i agree with everyones posts.

1. Reformat the card using FAT(16) with a large cluster size(32K or 64K seem to have the best results).
2. Try a different clean ripped game. (from a different group)
3. The girl causes less freezes. Try using the girl when going through the portals or the other freeze point. works great. I don't like this fix as it is just a walk around and not a solution.
4. Buy a Japanese Kingston card.
5. Avoid this Title.

NOTE!!!: There are several reports of the Japanese made Kingston freezing sometimes. (its rare, but there are posts) Probably due to the fact that the original game occasionally craps out and freezes too.

NOTE2: Reformatting guide
For winXP users just plug in the drive, go to COMPUTER MANAGEMENT/ DISK MANAGEMENT. right click on your card. Select format. The rest is self explanatory. select the FAT system to use, select the cluster size 32K or 64K. All files will be deleted. so be sure to transfer everything first.

I have a 2GB A-Data Super and experienced the same problems.

Personally i like this Title's problem. It allows us to determine the configurations for maximum efficiency concerning the R4DS (MS simply too) and micro sd card.

Good luck! Giggidy-goo!!

P

pasc

Why not try the f*****g Max Media WTF IS GOING ON Crass Method with this game before launching it ?

IBNobody

I try to keep myself amused.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

My Kingston Japan crashed. So, yes, you need to increase the allocation units.

BTW: I used a Kingston Taiwan with 64k allocation units to play through most of my game. I had no crashes. So if you end up getting a Taiwan, don't worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night