Hacking Any fix yet for Castlevania: POR on R4DS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
When does the game freeze? I just got my R4 and haven't encountered Castlevania:POR freezing on my 64MB Kingmax (leftover card from one of my Razrs). Does the game freeze randomly or just in certain parts of the game?

Game usually freezes on the Warp Rooms or the room with the Ghost.. In those rooms, press start rapidly and see if it freezes.. Even if it doesn't, don't get happy too soon. You might still have freezes when entering the menus like inventory or monster list. But you'll most likely be good to go..
laugh.gif
I spoke too soon.

My game froze when I entered a menu after about 10 minutes of play. I got my answer quicker than I thought.
grog.gif

Only times the game has frozen on me (R4, kinsgston 1gb [taiwan] )

1.Warp Rooms. When I try to warp (middle of room then press UP. the top screen goes black, freezes, but you can still hear the game
audio.

2.When ever i'm the character Charlotte and I press Start to go to Menu. I get same kind of freeze as above.
Does not Freeze when I'm Jonathan

deduce

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well I've beaten the game. I lost count of how many times this game froze on me. It was pushing at the very least 30 times. Here are where I usually encountered the game freezing:

1.) Accessing the Start Menu - Probably the most frequent freeze I experienced. Trying to go to the start menu to get that nice potion during a boss fight only to have the game freeze was the worst.

2.) Warps - Didn't happen as often, but happened enough times that I remembered it. Became more of a problem later on when I had access to many warp locations.

3.) Quest glitch - That quest glitch (after completing a mission, press start before the accomplishment tune fades away to keep getting the same rewards over and over again) is a great way to get cash in the game, but if I talked to Wind before the castle background music starts the game would freeze. As long as the background music was playing again the game wouldn't freeze.

4.) Jumping in empty rooms - Can't explain it, but it happens. Screen doesn't black out just Johnathan striking a pose.

Anyone care to add to the list?

Seems the best solution until there is a fix is buying the game.
wacko.gif

WiiDSbold

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
just cut it - would you...
nobody needs a freezes-list - the transferspeed of your card simply isnt fast enough. end of line.
get a better one like the toshiba (=kingston japan) 1gb or -better yet- just for gods sake BUY IT IF YOU LIKE IT!!!

its ok to be a cheapass - but id like to kindly ask you to keep it to yourself
rolleyes.gif

THX!

deduce

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
just cut it - would you...
nobody needs a freezes-list - the transferspeed of your card simply isnt fast enough. end of line.
get a better one like the toshiba (=kingston japan) 1gb or -better yet- just for gods sake BUY IT IF YOU LIKE IT!!!

its ok to be a cheapass - but id like to kindly ask you to keep it to yourselfÂ
rolleyes.gif

THX!
blink.gif

Just posting a heads up for anyone who has the R4 or is thinking of getting the R4.

G

gage

I guess people forgot that some of the retail versions also froze. The copy I got for my brother froze on him once.

Icarus

fire walk with me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Don't listen to him.. I'm sure a lot of people(including me) would appraciate for your trouble unlike people like him
sleep.gif

I just rented the game and I'm halfway through it already.. Pretty fun game, I really like it !!

WiiDSbold

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just posting a heads up for anyone who has the R4 or is thinking of getting the R4.

youre right its a good idea to inform people that a fast MicroSD-card is what they should get, when they intend to get the R4 - or that they may have trouble in one or two games if they don't
it's just that this piece of info is all over the place - like in every second post - its actually pretty hard to ignore it as member of this board...
and it's just beyond me what you're up to with that list of freezes - honestly no offence

deduce

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
youre right its a good idea to inform people that a fast MicroSD-card is what they should get, when they intend to get the R4 - or that they may have trouble in one or two games if they don't
it's just that this piece of info is all over the place - like in every second post - its actually pretty hard to ignore it as member of this board...
and it's just beyond me what you're up to with that list of freezes - honestly no offence
No biggie. Just thought I'd list them out as a warning to those that have the slower cards like I did. I didn't experience any problems when I first saw this thread but when I progressed farther along into the game the problems started coming at me constantly.

Also, I just got my faster MicroSd (Japanese Kingston from Meritline) so hopefully this stuff is now just a thing of the past.

Edit: Tried Castlevania again with my new microsd and rapidly hit start for about 2 minutes without the game freezing. I think I've found a winner.
grog.gif

rukiri

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hmm.. interesting.

I'm using a 1GB Kingston (Taiwan) purchased from meritline, with my
R4 and POR crashes constantly.

Pressing start = crash ~20% of the time
Warp = crash ~30% of the time
Random crashes during gameplay maybe... once an hour?

It's enough to make the game unplayable for me : /

Since it seems to affect some microSD cards more than others, what could the real issue be? Transfer speeds? It seems strange to me that a slow transfer speed would cause a game to *crash* instead of just lag a little : /

chibibaka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol i have a patriot 1gb microsd card and it seems to freeze randomly 0-2 times a day. Warp is like a 10% chance. start never crashed for me lol

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hmm.. interesting.

I'm using a 1GB Kingston (Taiwan) purchased from meritline, with my
R4 and POR crashes constantly.

Pressing start = crash ~20% of the time
Warp = crash ~30% of the time
Random crashes during gameplay maybe... once an hour?

It's enough to make the game unplayable for me : /

Since it seems to affect some microSD cards more than others, what could the real issue be? Transfer speeds? It seems strange to me that a slow transfer speed would cause a game to *crash* instead of just lag a little : /

Same here. I read on another thread that if you play in JP mode. You get less freezing. I too have 1GB Kingston (Taiwan). Recently called kingston to get a JP replacement. What you do is at the Start screen, you hold down L shoulder button and press A button.
You will hear JP voice to confirm you did it right. Before I found this, I always avoided Wrap points, because it was instant freeze for me. With in JP mode I was able to warp just fine. So give that a try.

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
People are already reporting freezes in the EUR thread. I still don't get it as I beat the USA ROM on a supercard lite with sandisk 1G and never had a problem wheras others with same setup say it crashed.

.TakaM

.II
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
I just downloaded the E ver, put it on my R4, 1GB adata microSD.. took AGES to set up a save file

other than that, no freezes, I remember giving the U version a try ages ago and it freezed about 10 seconds after taking control of the main char

I'll edit later if the game freezes on me

edit-
yup it froze, i found some guy later on and Johnathon said something like "someones here" then said "A mo" and thats where it froze

oh well
wink2.gif

WiiDSbold

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i got my JP replacement too. PoR now runs perfect. everyone do the same:P

guys why dont you just listen to him and cut the chitchat about the freezes in POR?...
its so simple yet people dont get it
rolleyes.gif

POR needs fast memory access + most MicroSD-cards not fast enough = freezes
thats it! end of line! get the one card thats fast enough (Toshiba = Kingston JAP) and be a happy camper
yaynds.gif

yeah and stop all that nonsense-talk about a patch... THANKS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Also touch is better.... Well at least better than the launch DS, the lite one improved that a ton