Hacking Any downsides to upgrading from Wii to Wii U?

Kal82

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi All,

Currently got a Wii with HBC and a USB loader for backups. Interested in using game mods also for stuff like custom tracks on Mario Kart, although I've not looked into it properly yet.

I've just seen a great deal on a Wii U though, and from what I understand all firmware versions are currently hackable, so I was tempted to upgrade. Main reasons being: a few Wii U games I'd like to play, HDMI, 1080p, slight visual improvement to original Wii games.

Are there downsides I'm missing though?
Is there anything that might stop me from hacking either the Wii U or vWii?
Anything I might be taking for granted on the Wii that's not doable on the vWii?

Thanks!

Naendow

Brick-Master
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No (official) GC support, which means no GC controller for Wii games; even with an adapter. And the console boot takes really long if you have CBHC (autoboot into custom firmware) installed.
Except for that, I think you're good to go. :)

Reactions: Kal82

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Scan doubled analog video output, Priioader for arguably better brick recovery (though Vwii can be fixed from WiiU mode, and banner bricks aren't a thing in WiiU mode) and boot flexibility (you can't start and play a GC game using only a Pro Controller, for now and for example), Wii/RiiConnect24 in any usable form

and, depending on the exact model of Wii we're comparing it to: Bootmii in boot2, Gamecube discs and miniDVDs in general, some GC accessories like the GBA cable, backup/data/movie DVDs

Last edited by Ryccardo,

CORE

3:16
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
NONE GO 4 IT!!! AIO Nintendo Console.

GB - GBC - GBA - NDS - NES - SNES - N64 - NGC - Wii - WiiU - EShop. Not including RetroArch and other Emulators.

Nintendont allows you to Play GameCube Games ISOs just not Discs.

Last edited by CORE,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
What does this mean?
What most console makers officially call "non-interlaced", and most people call "240p and 288p" (a name I avoid since it's misleading - it's not really progressive scan like 480/720/1080p, but 480/575i with each half-frame repeated twice)

I would be able to backup games from for both Wii and Wii U from disks, or that not the case?
Oh, "backup DVD" as in the adjective, not the verb

Almost no Wiis made after 2009 or so, are able to read something that's not an original Wii or Gamecube disc, regardless of whatever homebrew/CIOS you throw at it (unless the optical drive is replaced with an older one which can); later with the horizontal Wiis, they removed the mechanical ability to load miniDVDs too (saving on parts and, of course, cost); and the WiiU drive has both of these properties

It doesn't mean you can't use a WiiU to backup your original Wii and WiiU discs - in fact, CleanRip and disc2app, respectively, do their job fine!

xLothwenx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Downside: The HDMI output in vWii (Nintendont) mode is crap. There's about 3% scaling instead of none, making the image not exactly the same 480p as it should be.

seren3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I came up against this very question, and the biggest factor for me was size.

Look at the Wii U. Not only is it larger than the Wii, it's got this giant chunky tablet which is mandatory to use, and you need adapters to use Gamecube controllers.

Now, I like to keep things simple, I'm a fan of minimalism. To me, that is just a terribly inefficient use of space. I have a hard drive bag that i can fit my wii into for easy travel, and I can fly with that. But, I can't even imagine fitting a Wii U into a backpack and not wasting a huge amount of space that I could use on other things.

Kal82

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the extra info guys, luckily none of these is a deal breaker for me as I've already bought the Wii U :P

It is going to be bulkier if I want to take it to a friends house, which is a little annoying

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x058JFZrlhU&pp=ygUMREJaIGFicmlkZ2Vk