Any disadvantages of A9LH+Sysnand only (no Emunand/Rednand)

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by dabu-sapper, May 25, 2016.

1. dabu-sapper
    OP

dabu-sapper Member

Newcomer
    Jul 2, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Dear gbatemp friends,

are there any real disadvantages of A9LH loader+Luma+Sysnand without creating/keeping an emunand?

2. SkittleDash
    This message by SkittleDash has been removed from public view by Minox, May 25, 2016, Reason: Offtopic.
    May 25, 2016

3. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    Not really anymore, not now that we can boot Decrypt9 straight from A9LH.

You lose the ability to load anything that relies on 9.2 exploits or 9.x native firm, but in reality that's not really going to affect anyone. If you have to ask the question, then you probably don't need 9.2 EmuNAND.

4. Psi-hate

Psi-hate GBATemp's Official Psi-Hater

Dec 14, 2014
    United States
    Houston
    It saves you 1-2gb of your SD. There are other advantages I'm sure. :]

MAXLEMPIRA likes this.
  5. Tenshi_Okami

Tenshi_Okami GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 3, 2015
    Puerto Rico
    There's only that you save 1-2 gb of space, but its always better to have a EmuNAND just in case. I'm planning to move from Updated SysNAND to EmuNAND myself.

stl25 and emuashui like this.
  6. dabu-sapper
    OP

dabu-sapper Member

Newcomer
    Jul 2, 2015
    Gambia, The
    I read somewhere that some homebrew also need 9.x native firm. Is that true?

7. Tenshi_Okami

Nov 3, 2015
    Puerto Rico
    Only Homebrew apps that needs ARM9 to execute.

8. hobbledehoy899

hobbledehoy899 Conniption Master

Nov 13, 2015
    United States
    Kernel Version: Linux 4.13.9-1-zen
    I guess if you want to still use your Gateway card in conjunction with Luma3DS/an updated sysNAND that that's an utter bitch to set up, but non of that headache is inherent with Luma3DS/using an updated sysNAND so I guess that wouldn't count as a real disadvantage towards it but instead counts as another disadvantage towards using anything Gateway.

9. tony_2018

tony_2018 GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    It is possible to load emunand from cold boot correct?

10. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    There's nothing stopping you from making a 9.2 EmuNAND later anyway. It's not an irreversible decision.

11. hobbledehoy899

hobbledehoy899 Conniption Master

Nov 13, 2015
    United States
    Kernel Version: Linux 4.13.9-1-zen
    That would only be ARM9 payloads, but those are inherently loadable from ARM9loaderhax so it's a moot point.

12. TVL

TVL #|

Feb 17, 2004
    World -1
    The only disadvantage I can think of is if your backup(s) of sysNAND turns out to be faulty/corrupted and you'd ever need them you're screwed. If updates only happened on emuNAND on the other hand and that breaks you could always create a new emuNAND from your still working sysNAND.

leonmagnus99, stl25 and emuashui like this.
  13. RednaxelaNnamtra

RednaxelaNnamtra GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 8, 2011
    Germany
    The only read disadventage will be the slower restore of the nand(which is only needed of you broke something), because you can't use a sd reader on your pc with higher speed. Also you will need a 9.2 EmuNAND for some ARM9 Applications, like GWs launcher or some older ones, but the arm9 homebrews that are needed the most are updated for a9lh, so you will be able to directly boot them.

If you want to use the Emunand instead of the Sysnand as your main NAND, you need to keep in mind that you need to install DSi and GBA Title to both Nands, and you need to boot into Sysnand every time after you played a GBA game, otherwise you save will be lost.

14. 3DSPoet

3DSPoet GBAtemp Fan

Dec 9, 2015
    United States
    On an o3DS, can you still install the 9.2 browser for ARCodes and SpiderHax?

15. RednaxelaNnamtra

RednaxelaNnamtra GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 8, 2011
    Germany
    Even in this case you are not totaly screwed with a9lh. You should be able to rebuild the NAND with XORPADS and much help, and if you have a 9.2 Emunand you can simply copy it to sysnand.

emuashui and hobbledehoy899 like this.
  16. Tenshi_Okami

Nov 3, 2015
    Puerto Rico
    Yep, but it will ask for an update if you leave the 3DS in sleep mode while you are in the internet

17. 3DSPoet

3DSPoet GBAtemp Fan

Dec 9, 2015
    United States
    I thought a9 blocked update checks?

18. Tenshi_Okami

Nov 3, 2015
    Puerto Rico
    Nope, it blocks the Frim0/1 updates itself when a new update comes out.

19. 4gionz

4gionz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 16, 2014
    Canada
    No op also please use updated sysnand you'll be doing yourself and the community a favour, emunand is USELESSSSSS I get irrationally angry when I see people suggest it for noobs. The only people that should be using emunand are advanced users who need to test apps or homebrew and don't feel like bricking and restoring sysnand. Emunand does nothing but confuse noobs. Recommending emunand on a 3ds is like recommending emunand on a wii..basically completely useless

Also the argument of flashing a corrupted NAND backup is also gone with @doke new tool hourglass9 so seriously nobody should be using emunand anymore unless you absolutely NEED it. IMO at least

20. Noroxus

Noroxus Margen67 Supporter

Jul 7, 2013
    Germany
    Glorious Nippon
    emuNAND is not safer than updated sysNAND. Switching from updated sysNAND to emuNAND is 100% waste of space and time.

If you dont believe me ask a dev.

astronautlevel likes this.
  21. Lush

Lush GBAtemp Regular

Jul 16, 2007
    Canada
    RIP emunand. You had a good run. But updated sysnand is the new prom queen around here...