Hacking Any disadvantages of A9LH+Sysnand only (no Emunand/Rednand)

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Not really anymore, not now that we can boot Decrypt9 straight from A9LH.

You lose the ability to load anything that relies on 9.2 exploits or 9.x native firm, but in reality that's not really going to affect anyone. If you have to ask the question, then you probably don't need 9.2 EmuNAND.

hobbledehoy899

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Dear gbatemp friends,

are there any real disadvantages of A9LH loader+Luma+Sysnand without creating/keeping an emunand?
I guess if you want to still use your Gateway card in conjunction with Luma3DS/an updated sysNAND that that's an utter bitch to set up, but non of that headache is inherent with Luma3DS/using an updated sysNAND so I guess that wouldn't count as a real disadvantage towards it but instead counts as another disadvantage towards using anything Gateway.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
There's nothing stopping you from making a 9.2 EmuNAND later anyway. It's not an irreversible decision.

TVL

#|
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
The only disadvantage I can think of is if your backup(s) of sysNAND turns out to be faulty/corrupted and you'd ever need them you're screwed. If updates only happened on emuNAND on the other hand and that breaks you could always create a new emuNAND from your still working sysNAND.

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The only read disadventage will be the slower restore of the nand(which is only needed of you broke something), because you can't use a sd reader on your pc with higher speed. Also you will need a 9.2 EmuNAND for some ARM9 Applications, like GWs launcher or some older ones, but the arm9 homebrews that are needed the most are updated for a9lh, so you will be able to directly boot them.

If you want to use the Emunand instead of the Sysnand as your main NAND, you need to keep in mind that you need to install DSi and GBA Title to both Nands, and you need to boot into Sysnand every time after you played a GBA game, otherwise you save will be lost.

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The only disadvantage I can think of is if your backup(s) of sysNAND turns out to be faulty/corrupted and you'd ever need them you're screwed. If updates only happened on emuNAND on the other hand and that breaks you could always create a new emuNAND from your still working sysNAND.
Even in this case you are not totaly screwed with a9lh. You should be able to rebuild the NAND with XORPADS and much help, and if you have a 9.2 Emunand you can simply copy it to sysnand.

4gionz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No op also please use updated sysnand you'll be doing yourself and the community a favour, emunand is USELESSSSSS I get irrationally angry when I see people suggest it for noobs. The only people that should be using emunand are advanced users who need to test apps or homebrew and don't feel like bricking and restoring sysnand. Emunand does nothing but confuse noobs. Recommending emunand on a 3ds is like recommending emunand on a wii..basically completely useless

Also the argument of flashing a corrupted NAND backup is also gone with @doke new tool hourglass9 so seriously nobody should be using emunand anymore unless you absolutely NEED it. IMO at least

Noroxus

Margen67 Supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
There's only that you save 1-2 gb of space, but its always better to have a EmuNAND just in case. I'm planning to move from Updated SysNAND to EmuNAND myself.
emuNAND is not safer than updated sysNAND. Switching from updated sysNAND to emuNAND is 100% waste of space and time.

If you dont believe me ask a dev.

Reactions: astronautlevel

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, atleast there was some neat filler there