Homebrew Any decent Genesis/Mega Drive 2 emulator for "Old 3DS"?

Badran

Trophies
XP
Country
France
AFAIK all the variants of the console use the same sound chip for the sound (YM2612). The genesis/mega drive 1 was able to deliver stereo sound as well. The difference with the second version is just the way it "out"s it. In order to get the stereo sound from the genesis one, you would take it from the jack port in the front compared to the genesis 2 where you just get it through standard connection. Since emulation, emulates hardware and all have the same hardware, emulators shouldn't make any difference between all the versions if that makes sense.

MetoMeto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
There is no such thing as megadrive 2 and picodrive for 3DS works perfectly.
I'm sure there's a lot of threads adressing the best emulators for both O3DS and N3DS already, and there's no reason for the emulator to work less smoothly on your O3DS than any of ours. So either you're overly OCD about smoothness, or your 3DS is fucked, which i think you would've noticed when playing other games
Oh my a feisty reply!
Ok, so Lets take this one bite at a time!

The Reply:
"picodrive for 3DS works perfectly"
-Youre partially right. It's not really perfect, but its close to perfect.

"your 3DS is fucked"
Its not. Thanks to @AmandaRose i realised i fucked up settings and used different version because..idk why. So my 3DS is just fine.

"There is no such thing as megadrive 2"
-Well i understand you dont believe cause perhaps you are not from europe. Cause in europe there was only megadrive 2, and not genesis
(at least for me). Also i'm looking at it (my own), or are you suggesting that we live in a matrix and that this is not real what i'm looking at? In that case you might be right, idk.
Anyway, to tell the truth, i never knew Sega Genesis existed, till i started using emulators, thats the first time i heard the term "genesis" and wondered what the heck is that. Cause you see, my whole live i know only of "Sega Megadrive 2" that to me is a iconic console, also it was the first console i ever played, and first time i learned about gaming. It brought me to world of games and made me a Sonic fan, and i still am!

"there's a lot of threads adressing the best emulators for both O3DS"
-Didn't saw one mentioning its the best or updated. It could be just my poor search skills. Sorry i guess?

"there's no reason for the emulator to work less smoothly on your O3DS than any of ours"
-There actually is, hence the thread. I explained why above, but thanks for helping me sort out that reason!

"you're overly OCD about smoothness"
-You can say that.....Wait! are you mocking my illness?!
Anyway...i like smooth graphics (60fps+), its really enjoyable that way to play any game. I guess 30 is ok but stable. I guess smooth game-play IS important to me. yes!

"i think you would've noticed when playing other games"
-As i said above, its not fucked, you concluded that based on...something i guess (you tell me). Anyway, As for other games on emulator it self, i tested Vectorman, it was sttutering. I tried injects with picodrive and i tried older version, so i guess that whats fucked, not the console it self (again).

I hope you will find peace with this answer! :)

As for "Megadrive 2", notice his british accent and a console. As i said, its pal console afaik:

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

AFAIK all the variants of the console use the same sound chip for the sound (YM2612). The genesis/mega drive 1 was able to deliver stereo sound as well. The difference with the second version is just the way it "out"s it. In order to get the stereo sound from the genesis one, you would take it from the jack port in the front compared to the genesis 2 where you just get it through standard connection. Since emulation, emulates hardware and all have the same hardware, emulators shouldn't make any difference between all the versions if that makes sense.
megadrive 2 doesnt have that good sound, but i love it anyway! genesis has much better sound!

Again mute point u forget this thread is about genesis emus for 3ds
thats ok, i like the way conversation is going, and beside, please don't police my thread. :)

Genesis 2/Mega Drive 2 is fine

How the console is referred to as to denote it from the first model

But in general of course you wouldn't refer to it as such for emulation unless talking sound
I refered to it as i know them. I know only of megadrive 2 and genesis, and they both play sega 16bit games. That was the main idea. We all know what emulator we are talking about.

Anyway, thanks for the tip, ill keep that in mind.

There is such a thing as Mega drive 2/Genesis 2. Its just a Mega drive in a redesigned case. In fact there is also the Mega drive 3/Genesis 3.

http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/15476/Sega-16-Bit-Mega-Drive-II/

View attachment 216572
Megadrie 2 for me is the priestliest and most sexy of all~ also it has a bit of nostalgia for me personally.

you asked for an emulator for the megadrive II when you should have just said you needed a Megadrive emulator.
Thats because megadrive 2 as a name is the only name i know, beside genesis. Didnt really do a research on revisions. My whole live its "Sega megadrive 2"

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@MetoMeto

Unfortunately the Old 3DS is very weak for emulation so you will never get 100% I have a old 3DS myself and the only good thing it can do is play my 3DS and DS games (go figure Twilight ++) Idk if you are looking for specific but Sega did release a 3D Classics collection.

MetoMeto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
@MetoMeto

Unfortunately the Old 3DS is very weak for emulation so you will never get 100% I have a old 3DS myself and the only good thing it can do is play my 3DS and DS games (go figure Twilight ++) Idk if you are looking for specific but Sega did release a 3D Classics collection.
I know, they are great i love them! But i kinda like emulation by it self so i thought it would just be nice to have sega emulator to play the original way you know (i mean "original"), also i like to test emulators and try on a different consoles.

Yes i know, i heard that on a NEW 3DS it runs truly perfect, cause something about sound taking up processor power on old 3ds and it has only 1 core where new 3ds has 2 corec CPU so sound is on one core emulation on another so its full speet...thats what i read somewhere but i might be wrong idk.

Anyway, i wanted to squeeze every bit of juice from my old 3DS to run as smooth as it can, and i guess im happy with the results now...till i get NEW 3DS. They are still expensive though :unsure:

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know, they are great i love them! But i kinda like emulation by it self so i thought it would just be nice to have sega emulator to play the original way you know (i mean "original"), also i like to test emulators and try on a different consoles.

Yes i know, i heard that on a NEW 3DS it runs truly perfect, cause something about sound taking up processor power on old 3ds and it has only 1 core where new 3ds has 2 corec CPU so sound is on one core emulation on another so its full speet...thats what i read somewhere but i might be wrong idk.

Anyway, i wanted to squeeze every bit of juice from my old 3DS to run as smooth as it can, and i guess im happy with the results now...till i get NEW 3DS. They are still expensive though :unsure:

I wanted to also get a new 3DS but I don't wanna pay $120 on that I paid $60 for my old 3DS lol. I heard you can inject GBA games into the old 3ds but it seems like a hassle to do so so I just let it play 3DS and DS games. I know for twilight ++ the roms have to be unzipped and depending on the rom format some of the roms are not detectable. If you are interested look into a PSP or a PS Vita the emulators on there run good and also you can customize them aswell with your own music and background art.

gohan123

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
there is an option for injection of sega genesis / mega drive roms in new super ultimate injector, this option might be better.

D

Deleted User

If you want to play Sega Genesis games at full speed why not just buy a cheap Chinese portable console from AliExpress? Most of them can run Genesis games at full speed. And unlike Japan they ship to any place in the world for free. (Rip the jvc fxt200 earphones that never got shipped to me).

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
I use PicoDrive, but i do preffer to inject my Megadrive (Yeah PAL user :) !!!) into cia files to install on my O3DS and N3DS
Using "New Super Ultimate Injector for 3DS" (Beta 27 (can't find compiled beta28))

Megadrive1.png

Megadrive2.png

Reactions: Tarmfot

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
IMG-20200709-230048800.jpg
IMG-20200709-230315055.jpg
IMG-20200709-230412725.jpg
IMG-20200709-230448395.jpg

@MetoMeto : It show it on N3DSXL but i can tell you the game works fine on my O3DS, O3DSXL and 2DS (If you want a quick screenshot tutorial on Megadrive, just ask, took screenshots of every step i made)

Note:

Megadrive-Genesis / Megadrive II-Genesis II / Genesis 3 (There was never a Megadrive 3 in Europe)
Besides a few improvements, it all plays the games and that's what counts
It's a common knowledge we all say Megadrive / Genesis to mention the system, regardless of the model
We only specify the model if we really want to talk about that model hardware, such a fuss about the OP telling II, he just wanted a simple answer to his simple question :rofl:

Last edited by DjoeN,
Reactions: kineticUk

Diego Liberal

Old School Gamer
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Let me butt-in because Mega Drive is a Brazil's passion, and still sold to this day here.
I must inform that there is an official Mega Drive 4. Exclusive to us.

In all fairness, the differences between each model is minimal, and shouldn't affect any gameplay through emulators.
Except the exclusive games from the 4th version, which as far as I can tell, never got dumped.

Reactions: Badran and cearp

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
the differences between each model is minimal, and shouldn't affect any gameplay through emulators.

Exactly, that was my point.

And regarding all the rest OP, i was just sort of "debugging" your problem, and counting the steps with you.
if an emulator works fine on someone elses O3DS that means the problem was somehow on your end, and those problems could've been that it's fucked up (test other games) or, as you found out, a layer 8 error, the wrong version installed. Glad you figured it out.

Also i don't judge your OCD, i have some my own, that's why i test nearly every emulator available for the consoles i want until i find one that has what i want (for example, game boy emulators with super game boy borders. I refuse to use an emulator that doesn't support those unless there's no choice)

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
Let me butt-in because Mega Drive is a Brazil's passion, and still sold to this day here.

In all fairness, the differences between each model is minimal, and shouldn't affect any gameplay through emulators.
Except the exclusive games from the 4th version, which as far as I can tell, never got dumped.

Oh man, Awesome for your Sega collection!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=WM_uzjYizQA

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Does anyone know a good 'PS one' or 'GBA SP' emulator?

Didn't the PS2 get officially release in 2009 for you guys? :) Strange, but cool, mega drive was great!

Last edited by cearp,

Diego Liberal

Old School Gamer
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Oh man, Awesome for your Sega collection!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=WM_uzjYizQA

Yes indeed! The same goes for Master System.
The guy at the video states he doesn't know if it's licensed, but in fact is. The manufacturer is TecToy, the official Sega distributer here. They had license to produce every single Sega console here, but since the Mega Drive was the one that made most sucess, I have no idea how, but they got a life-long license to produce Mega Drives and Master Systems officially and authorized by Sega.

So is quite common to find one or another at supermarkets, eletronical stores, etc.

Didn't the PS2 get officially release in 2009 for you guys? :) Strange, but cool, mega drive was great!

Nope, it got released about a year or two after everywhere else. I rememeber when I asked my parents to buy one, we went on a store and they opted for the PS1 due being cheaper. And this was about 15 years ago...

I had the original box until some months ago, I could check the purchase date on it xD

Last edited by Diego Liberal,
Reactions: Badran and cearp

Badran

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Mega Drive/Genesis model 2‘s have a YM3438 core inside of a general purpose ASIC and sound slightly different to the original model 1 as a result.

Thank you, I've just learned new things on the mega drive/genesis!

I've just checked the GitHub page of the PicoDrive for 3DS and found out the sound chip emulated here is the original one (YM2612)!

Last edited by Badran,

Alxandr13

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Nope, it got released about a year or two after everywhere else. I rememeber when I asked my parents to buy one, we went on a store and they opted for the PS1 due being cheaper. And this was about 15 years ago...

PS2 official release could have been late here in Brazil, but people already got imported units at it's launch and some shops in big cities downtown used to always have at least one hooked to display.
I remember the first kid between my school mates to get it. It was 2001 and we had all that fuzz due to its so realistic graphics. "Roberto Carlos and Ronaldinho looks like real people in 'Play Dois'' 'Wing Eleven' they say before start to wander about Mai Shiranui boobs in a new 'The King' for that videogame". It wasn't too after that the "Spirits Within" movie (called just "Final Fantasy" at the time) came to theaters being full CGI but letting less familiarized people thinking was real actors in the screen and my mates got hyped to play the new FFX.

Anyway... Since looks like i'm a bit older but not less gaming enthusiast than you, i'll just correct you about a couple things you have stated (and sorry about the long texts... it's an old guy telling about history here hehe):

1. TecToy don't have produced every single SEGA console here... They in fact did until Saturn (i myself have one - today not so functional, but still trying -, bought in its national release window at 95 hollydays on Republica's Mapping Store in SP). but TecToy have issues and almost vanished from the market for some years during the pre-DreamCast age, ruturning latter with the DVD and Karaoke boom and reassuming their MegaDrive production with SBT rights to turn the "Show do Milhão" (previously "Jogo do Milhão") in a game for the system. They also released "Zeebo" at some point, but despite some good ideas, Zeebo wasn't the hit expected (but i personally would love to have one).

2. The so called "Mega Drive 4" aren't even a bit closer to be compared to a MegaDrive. I guess it came a bit before the Zeebo episode if not at same time, with the company already using cheap mobile hardware to emulate MegaDrive games and related stuff (and, like we say in portuguese, "muito porcamente por sinal"), offering some extras not possible in the SEGA original concept too, like music tracks through an SD port and "3D" games. Since these games wasn't really running on MegaDrive, but in some kind of modded java cellphone with a poorly optimized MegaDrive emulator, isn't possible to dump and separate'em from the system, but we aren't loosing anything that wouldn't be near the java versions of EA 2008 games (FIFA, NFS ProStreet, Sims3 and Sim City). Only "GuitarIdol" maybe could be more original, but it's just a "Guitar Hero" clone in a 16bits presentation.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans