1. AmandaRose

AmandaRose Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan

United Kingdom
    No its not what 3ds emulators acutely emulate the stereo sound of the mega drive 2/Genesis 2?

2. Shadow#1
    This message by Shadow#1 has been removed from public view by VinsCool, Jul 8, 2020, Reason: Offtopic bickering.
    Jul 8, 2020
  3. AmandaRose
    This message by AmandaRose has been removed from public view by VinsCool, Jul 8, 2020, Reason: Offtopic bickering.
    Jul 8, 2020
  4. Shadow#1
    This message by Shadow#1 has been removed from public view by VinsCool, Jul 8, 2020, Reason: Offtopic bickering.
    Jul 8, 2020
  5. AmandaRose
    This message by AmandaRose has been removed from public view by VinsCool, Jul 8, 2020, Reason: Offtopic bickering.
    Jul 8, 2020
  6. Shadow#1
    Jul 8, 2020
  7. AmandaRose
    Jul 8, 2020
  8. Shadow#1
    Jul 8, 2020
  9. Badran

Badran Newbie
    Newcomer

France
    AFAIK all the variants of the console use the same sound chip for the sound (YM2612). The genesis/mega drive 1 was able to deliver stereo sound as well. The difference with the second version is just the way it "out"s it. In order to get the stereo sound from the genesis one, you would take it from the jack port in the front compared to the genesis 2 where you just get it through standard connection. Since emulation, emulates hardware and all have the same hardware, emulators shouldn't make any difference between all the versions if that makes sense.

Tarmfot, kineticUk and VinsCool like this.
  10. MetoMeto

OP MetoMeto GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Japan
    Oh my a feisty reply!
    Ok, so Lets take this one bite at a time!

The Reply:
    "picodrive for 3DS works perfectly"
    -Youre partially right. It's not really perfect, but its close to perfect.

"your 3DS is fucked"
    Its not. Thanks to @AmandaRose i realised i fucked up settings and used different version because..idk why. So my 3DS is just fine.

"There is no such thing as megadrive 2"
    -Well i understand you dont believe cause perhaps you are not from europe. Cause in europe there was only megadrive 2, and not genesis
    (at least for me). Also i'm looking at it (my own), or are you suggesting that we live in a matrix and that this is not real what i'm looking at? In that case you might be right, idk.
    Anyway, to tell the truth, i never knew Sega Genesis existed, till i started using emulators, thats the first time i heard the term "genesis" and wondered what the heck is that. Cause you see, my whole live i know only of "Sega Megadrive 2" that to me is a iconic console, also it was the first console i ever played, and first time i learned about gaming. It brought me to world of games and made me a Sonic fan, and i still am!

"there's a lot of threads adressing the best emulators for both O3DS"
    -Didn't saw one mentioning its the best or updated. It could be just my poor search skills. Sorry i guess?

"there's no reason for the emulator to work less smoothly on your O3DS than any of ours"
    -There actually is, hence the thread. I explained why above, but thanks for helping me sort out that reason!

"you're overly OCD about smoothness"
    -You can say that.....Wait! are you mocking my illness?!
    Anyway...i like smooth graphics (60fps+), its really enjoyable that way to play any game. I guess 30 is ok but stable. I guess smooth game-play IS important to me. yes!

"i think you would've noticed when playing other games"
    -As i said above, its not fucked, you concluded that based on...something i guess (you tell me). Anyway, As for other games on emulator it self, i tested Vectorman, it was sttutering. I tried injects with picodrive and i tried older version, so i guess that whats fucked, not the console it self (again).

I hope you will find peace with this answer! :)

As for "Megadrive 2", notice his british accent and a console. As i said, its pal console afaik:

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

megadrive 2 doesnt have that good sound, but i love it anyway! genesis has much better sound!

thats ok, i like the way conversation is going, and beside, please don't police my thread. :)

I refered to it as i know them. I know only of megadrive 2 and genesis, and they both play sega 16bit games. That was the main idea. We all know what emulator we are talking about.

Anyway, thanks for the tip, ill keep that in mind.

Megadrie 2 for me is the priestliest and most sexy of all~ also it has a bit of nostalgia for me personally.

Thats because megadrive 2 as a name is the only name i know, beside genesis. Didnt really do a research on revisions. My whole live its "Sega megadrive 2"

11. Goku1992A

Goku1992A GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    @MetoMeto

Unfortunately the Old 3DS is very weak for emulation so you will never get 100% I have a old 3DS myself and the only good thing it can do is play my 3DS and DS games (go figure Twilight ++) Idk if you are looking for specific but Sega did release a 3D Classics collection.

12. MetoMeto

OP MetoMeto GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Japan
    I know, they are great i love them! But i kinda like emulation by it self so i thought it would just be nice to have sega emulator to play the original way you know (i mean "original"), also i like to test emulators and try on a different consoles.

Yes i know, i heard that on a NEW 3DS it runs truly perfect, cause something about sound taking up processor power on old 3ds and it has only 1 core where new 3ds has 2 corec CPU so sound is on one core emulation on another so its full speet...thats what i read somewhere but i might be wrong idk.

Anyway, i wanted to squeeze every bit of juice from my old 3DS to run as smooth as it can, and i guess im happy with the results now...till i get NEW 3DS. They are still expensive though :unsure:

13. kineticUk

kineticUk GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Mega Drive/Genesis model 2‘s have a YM3438 core inside of a general purpose ASIC and sound slightly different to the original model 1 as a result.

Last edited by kineticUk, Jul 10, 2020
    Badran likes this.
  14. Goku1992A

Goku1992A GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I wanted to also get a new 3DS but I don't wanna pay $120 on that I paid $60 for my old 3DS lol. I heard you can inject GBA games into the old 3ds but it seems like a hassle to do so so I just let it play 3DS and DS games. I know for twilight ++ the roms have to be unzipped and depending on the rom format some of the roms are not detectable. If you are interested look into a PSP or a PS Vita the emulators on there run good and also you can customize them aswell with your own music and background art.

15. gohan123

gohan123 GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    there is an option for injection of sega genesis / mega drive roms in new super ultimate injector, this option might be better.

16. sergey3000

sergey3000 GBAtemp Fan

Iceland
    If you want to play Sega Genesis games at full speed why not just buy a cheap Chinese portable console from AliExpress? Most of them can run Genesis games at full speed. And unlike Japan they ship to any place in the world for free. (Rip the jvc fxt200 earphones that never got shipped to me).

17. kineticUk

kineticUk GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    The original Japanese Mega Drive is the best IMO.

Last edited by kineticUk, Jul 10, 2020
  18. DjoeN

DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Belgium
    I use PicoDrive, but i do preffer to inject my Megadrive (Yeah PAL user :) !!!) into cia files to install on my O3DS and N3DS
    Using "New Super Ultimate Injector for 3DS" (Beta 27 (can't find compiled beta28))

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tarmfot likes this.
  19. DjoeN

DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Belgium
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

@MetoMeto : It show it on N3DSXL but i can tell you the game works fine on my O3DS, O3DSXL and 2DS (If you want a quick screenshot tutorial on Megadrive, just ask, took screenshots of every step i made)

Note:

Megadrive-Genesis / Megadrive II-Genesis II / Genesis 3 (There was never a Megadrive 3 in Europe)
    Besides a few improvements, it all plays the games and that's what counts
    It's a common knowledge we all say Megadrive / Genesis to mention the system, regardless of the model
    We only specify the model if we really want to talk about that model hardware, such a fuss about the OP telling II, he just wanted a simple answer to his simple question :rofl:

Last edited by DjoeN, Jul 9, 2020
    kineticUk likes this.
  20. Diego Liberal

Diego Liberal Old School Gamer
    Newcomer

Brazil
    Let me butt-in because Mega Drive is a Brazil's passion, and still sold to this day here.
    I must inform that there is an official Mega Drive 4. Exclusive to us.

In all fairness, the differences between each model is minimal, and shouldn't affect any gameplay through emulators.
    Except the exclusive games from the 4th version, which as far as I can tell, never got dumped.

Badran and cearp like this.
  21. placebo_yue

placebo_yue GBAtemp Regular

Argentina
    Exactly, that was my point.

And regarding all the rest OP, i was just sort of "debugging" your problem, and counting the steps with you.
    if an emulator works fine on someone elses O3DS that means the problem was somehow on your end, and those problems could've been that it's fucked up (test other games) or, as you found out, a layer 8 error, the wrong version installed. Glad you figured it out.

Also i don't judge your OCD, i have some my own, that's why i test nearly every emulator available for the consoles i want until i find one that has what i want (for example, game boy emulators with super game boy borders. I refuse to use an emulator that doesn't support those unless there's no choice)

22. DjoeN

DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Belgium
    Oh man, Awesome for your Sega collection!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=WM_uzjYizQA

23. cearp

cearp 瓜老外
    Developer

Tuvalu
    Does anyone know a good 'PS one' or 'GBA SP' emulator?

Didn't the PS2 get officially release in 2009 for you guys? :) Strange, but cool, mega drive was great!

Last edited by cearp, Jul 10, 2020
  24. Diego Liberal

Diego Liberal Old School Gamer
    Newcomer

Brazil
    Yes indeed! The same goes for Master System.
    The guy at the video states he doesn't know if it's licensed, but in fact is. The manufacturer is TecToy, the official Sega distributer here. They had license to produce every single Sega console here, but since the Mega Drive was the one that made most sucess, I have no idea how, but they got a life-long license to produce Mega Drives and Master Systems officially and authorized by Sega.

So is quite common to find one or another at supermarkets, eletronical stores, etc.

Nope, it got released about a year or two after everywhere else. I rememeber when I asked my parents to buy one, we went on a store and they opted for the PS1 due being cheaper. And this was about 15 years ago...

I had the original box until some months ago, I could check the purchase date on it xD

Last edited by Diego Liberal, Jul 10, 2020
    Badran and cearp like this.
  25. Badran

Badran Newbie
    Newcomer

France
    Thank you, I've just learned new things on the mega drive/genesis!

I've just checked the GitHub page of the PicoDrive for 3DS and found out the sound chip emulated here is the original one (YM2612)!

Last edited by Badran, Jul 12, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - emulator, Genesis, decent