PS1/2 Any Class action lawsuit yet for PS3 linux feature removal?

mori123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am thinking about starting or Definetly Joining in any class action against Sony for removing My Linux feature On my 60 gb PS3 with the firmware update coming out on april 1st. By doing this to retain the Features i paid for the system with I have to never play online again and Lose the ability to play games.. I find this heinous if i wanna keep my Ps3linux working that i have to do this.., i did call Sony and offer to allow them to reiburse me for my $659 Dollars Canadian i spent on this Since they are Disabling it. they declined. anyone else feel this way? PS I don;t really Care about Some Kid hacking it or That side of things I use the ps3 as a Computer. like right now.. ps3.. in action posting here..

NoSmokingBandit

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try reading the EULA you agreed to when you first created a PSN account then see if Sony has done anything illegal. Sure its inconvenient, but you agreed to their EULA, if you didnt like it you didnt have to agree.

mori123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
a Eula is not Enforceable quite as it reads alot of eulas are unlawful its more like a way to scare users away from Complaining and Even if i never agree to the PSN EULA again, where is the agreement to disable my ps3 to play new games offline? p:0 thats the real issue for me. I have No problem with them repairing the feature But removing it is a Kneejerk bs reaction

Kamina84

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You do realize there is a possiblity of it being an April Fools joke right ? I mean come on, the update is even on April 1st. It's only a coincidence that it's ending up on a Thursday. If it doesn happen thou, it's gonna suck; however, we still have BC.
biggrin.gif
*hugs 60 Gig model*

NoSmokingBandit

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mori123 said:
a Eula is not Enforceable quite as it reads alot of eulas are unlawful its more like a way to scare users away from Complaining and Even if i never agree to the PSN EULA again, where is the agreement to disable my ps3 to play new games offline? p:0 thats the real issue for me. I have No problem with them repairing the feature But removing it is a Kneejerk bs reaction

1. You agree that Sony can revoke any feature whenever they so choose
2. Sony does that
3. OMG SUE!!!!!

That wont make it up the front steps in any court. Its not like OSX's EULA that has vague anti-competitive clauses in it. Removing OtherOS does not violate any laws and is consequently enforceable by EULA.

djricekcn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can't have a class action law suit for this, even if you do it'll just get thrown out of court the second it enters it. It's just an inconvenience to some. it's like suing Microsoft for discontinuing Windows OS...you can't sue because they stopped making it or supporting it....if that's the case MS is in' deep shit Windows original all the way up to Windows XP are no longer supported.

bridgerbot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sony can drop support for PSN, as can Microsoft for Windows.

Disabling product features after purchase is a completely different matter.

EULA's are not laws, not binding, can contain anything at all, and are often not revealed to the
customer until after purchase..... which is why when they go to court, they don't mean much
*unless* the customer actually broke a law.

EULA's are irrelevant for something like this.

Let me give you some great lines from EULA's that went to court and didn't hold up in court.

"You agree to not sue if you get hurt by normal use this product"

.... guess what, people used it normally, it broke under normal use, they got injured, and they won.

Netflix ToS said almost ver betum

"we don't have to send you any movies in a month if you subscribe".

That went to court to, and guess what, that line meant nothing. Netflix was ordered by a court to settle.

"We can disable any part of the product you paid for at anytime"

.... is also useless.

Haven't found anyone who has filed with a Law Firm or court yet, if I do, I'll come back here and post it.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People need to quit whining about the removal of OtherOS and stop acting like PS3 backups were right around the corner. No one is missing out on anything with it gone. Get over it.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Well I was hoping this was an April fools, but I updated and yes, the other os option is gone. Firstly whichever genius decided to roll out this update on the 1st of April needs to just get fired. The timing couldn't be more inappropriate, and its pretty much a double slap in the face for people hoping this was a joke. Now I never used or had any intention of using linux on my PS3, but that really doesn't make me any less mad that this has happened. People can go on about EULA's and any other agreement, make out its not a big deal or whatever, but this is just not the point.

When we bought our PS3's we bought them with a specific set of features that were advertised. An other OS feature was one of them, now I know the PS3 has evolved a lot since I bought mine, and many new features have been added, but this was something included from day one and frankly they have no right to remove it. Its like if you buy a house with a pool in it, and a year after you buy it the seller turns around and dismantles it. That kind of thing would just not fly and I consider this pretty much the same thing. Now Sony says this is a completely optional thing, but it really is not, not being able to sign into PSN is a huge loss which would pretty much force 99% of PS3 owners to update, so this is pretty much mandatory.

I would be very surprised if Sony didn't get sued for this, they completely deserve it, they are just pre-emptively punishing legitimate owners for a threat that as yet does not exist. I think they would have a very hard time justifying this in a court when it finally comes to that.

dnniwa485

Trophies
XP
Country
lol... just bypass the fw update by using proxy.

btw: im stuck on fw 3.01 which i can log-in on PSN without updating

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh god what a whiny bitch. Are you serious? Boohoo Other OS is removed. Guess what, did you know all the slims don't have it either? Did you not think this was coming when they left it out with the hardware changes they did with the slim? Are you really dumb enough to think that they wouldn't remove it after that one guy figured out how to break into it and start working toward full on hacking it for piracy? This is all about stupid thieves trying to get a free ride and denying them the pleasure and you can't handle it.

When the system came out it was a silent feature tossed in. It's not on the box, it's not advertised, it was just there as a convenience for the few who were aware or found it once they played around in their XMB. There's nothing to sue over here as they have legal (at least in the USA i know you're Canada) to make those fixes, upgrades, downgrades, whatever they want with the operating agreement in using the hardware. You got no case unless Canada has deemed all EULAs as illegal, but please go ahead and do it, hopefully Sony has the balls to counter sue for court costs. I know I would.
biggrin.gif

bridgerbot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vampire Hunter D said:
It's not on the box, it's not advertised

It was advertised, it was not silent. Some claim it was on the back of their box. All I can say is it wasn't on the back of my box, but I didn't buy every version of the console.

Box aside, all I need is a quote, or a video clip of a only representative promoting that feature for it to be considered "advertised".

EULA's are irrelevant, as they do not override fair trade laws which prohibit bait and switch practices of any kind.

Sonicandtails

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
pcmanrules said:
I have a slim so there was never an option in the first place. I wouldn't miss it even if i had it. A PS3 is for gaming, a PC is for Linux and for doing work.
Funny, considering one of the quotes around the time the PS3 came out from the company was that they weren't selling you a game console, they were selling you a personal computer.

worlok375

GBAtemp's prince
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sonicandtails said:
pcmanrules said:
I have a slim so there was never an option in the first place. I wouldn't miss it even if i had it. A PS3 is for gaming, a PC is for Linux and for doing work.
Funny, considering one of the quotes around the time the PS3 came out from the company was that they weren't selling you a game console, they were selling you a personal computer.

Right before I posted that...a.k.a. ah yah beat meh.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bridgerbot said:
Vampire Hunter D said:
It's not on the box, it's not advertised

It was advertised, it was not silent. Some claim it was on the back of their box. All I can say is it wasn't on the back of my box, but I didn't buy every version of the console.

Box aside, all I need is a quote, or a video clip of a only representative promoting that feature for it to be considered "advertised".

EULA's are irrelevant, as they do not override fair trade laws which prohibit bait and switch practices of any kind.
I have the ps3 phat 160GB uncharted + pain bundle
no where on the box does it mention it will run linux or anything of that sort relating to the otherOS feature

Seraph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Again, I'll repeat what others have already said. Class action lawsuits don't need to have to do with the EULA, a lot of the time they are brought up for stupid things like this. And I couldn't have guessed people who never used/wanted the feature wouldn't miss it! Who would have guessed!? I used this feature though, and even if you don't, you should be upset that Sony is removing features. Although it's understandable due to piracy, if it wasn't a lot of people should be more upset by this practice. What sucks for me is if I don't even have a choice in updating. If I ever get my stolen PS3 back, it will probably come back updated. Class action lawsuits won't do anything.

bialy_gibson

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I wonder what is causing their actions with blocking the possibility of linux installation. I decided to buy my PS3 because i could have linux as OS. Even if i couldn't use its full potential (GPU), it was like extra feature, not drawback.

NoSmokingBandit

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bialy_gibson said:
I wonder what is causing their actions with blocking the possibility of linux installation.

Geohot is using it to hack the ps3's OS. So Sony got pissed and removed it for everyone. They want to make sure it doesnt turn into the pirate-fest that is every other console in the world.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :unsure: What to have for lunch [12:57 pm] [tap, tap, tap.. 💡] brb