Any chance of a Dropbox App? (a cool idea)

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by xwatchmanx, Aug 13, 2012.

Aug 13, 2012
  1. xwatchmanx
    OP

Member xwatchmanx GBAtemp's (Un)Ironic Weeaboo

United States
    So, I had a cool idea that required a homebrew dropbox app for Wii, but after all my searching, I suppose it doesn't exist yet. How hard would it be to code a Dropbox client, and what are the chances of getting one?

Basically, I emulate old consoles (NES, SNES, etc) on 3 different platforms: My Macbook, my Android phone, and my soft-modded Wii. However, it's a pain to constantly have to transfer saves with USB, SD, or microSD whenever I want to play the same game on a different platform. So I thought it would be cool to just dump the saves into dropbox, that way I could just save a game and sync dropbox on one platform, pick up another platform, sync, and be good to go as far as my save data goes. And while this works for my Macbook and Android phone since both have official dropbox clients available, it doesn't work for my Wii since there is no Dropbox (or similar online storage client) available that I know of.

So, what do you guys think? Are there any similar online file sync apps available for the Wii that would work? Is this a feasible idea otherwise?

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Dropbox... not that I am aware of and I have never coded something to interface with it so I have no idea what goes there as far as open source and/or specs go.

There are however Wii FTP servers (ftpii was the standard one when I was playing around with the wii but it might have changed) and clients (not tried much on the client side of things mind but WiiXplorer should be good) which should be able to help you transfer files around. Just about every web host offers FTP but dropbox does not support it* unless you use a third party service and if you are just using a local network you can host your own server as well- there are proper servers but for a basic option like this and/or on windows http://www.voidtools.com/ works for me. If you still wanted dropbox then you can probably chain a few of these together (keep the PC stuff up to date and use that as a FTP server and ping things back and forth between FTP and dropbox).
    Bonus- almost every console/device with network support and storage worth a damn will gain FTP once it gains homebrew (the original xbox and 360 more or less revolving entirely around it).

*given dropbox pretty much does what FTP does but on a more locked down and potentially easier to use method (if you know anything about computers and organising files FTP is trivial) I do not imagine dropbox with inbuilt FTP options will exist any time soon.

Edit- as for sync provided your dates/times are correct or reasonably so on the devices then almost every FTP client will have a "overwrite if file newer" option which is the basis of sync anyway.

1 person likes this.
  3. xwatchmanx
    OP

United States
    Thanks for your answer. :) And I don't care whether it's dropbox or not, just so long as it allows me to sync my saves between Wii, laptop, and smartphone.

Also, my laptop is a Macbook... are there any mac-compatible alternatives to the "for PC" stuff, you mentioned?

4. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    I can not remember what I used for mac stuff there but FTP has been around for decades (I think we hit the third one in about three years) and as mentioned is at the heart of networking so something will probably able to be done.

Still filezilla (my preferred open source FTP client) has a mac version by the looks of things http://filezilla-project.org/download.php/ not to mention I believe it has a half decent client built in.

For a server there is also a server built in if memory serves but I opted out of it as I believe it was tied to the user names on the mac itself- if you want it poke around in the sharing options in the preferences window and it should be there somewhere.

1 person likes this.
  5. xwatchmanx
    OP

United States
    Hm... this is all very complicated and I'll have to do a lot of research, but I still definitely want to do this if I can. Thanks for all your help! :yaywii:

6. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    If you start thinking it is complicated then it will become as such, you can make it complex but realistically there is not a lot to know. The "success" of dropbox has been to make it almost trivial (mandatory XKCD link applicable to this one- http://xkcd.com/949/ ) for people to do it but for those already versed in tech it is why it gets a derisory snort.

FTP basics then

You have a client which connects to the server- depending upon the setup it can upload files to the server and/or download from it.
    You have a server that connects to the client- these just sit there until the client connects as per most servers.
    Further down the line you also have the likes of FXP which allows servers to connect to servers to transfer files (there is a bit more to it these days but it is what the "Scene" runs upon) so as not to use your machine as an intermediary but ignore that for the time being.

You do not need to be running a server to use a client- I was just trying to give you some options.

To connect to a server you need
    The address of the server (probably an IP address in your case unless you get some hosting) and if you have changed it the port number (normally 21 which most clients will try automatically)
    An account on the server
    A password for the account
    Some servers will also allow guest access but I do not like those for this sort of thing (if you are running a news site for press I guess that is fine but anything after that I want passwords).
    Filezilla will quite happily store usernames and passwords allowing you to connect in one click if you want.

There are all sorts of clients ranging from full system management stuff to highly custom clients for specific tasks (if you played in the xbox or 360 world and used auto/easy xbins it was FTP at the heart of it) with the likes of filezilla being somewhat like the old windows file manager program (left pane is the local machine, right pane is the remote and draging/double clicking usually initiates transfers at which point you effectively watch a percentage bar).

Much like many aspects of remote computing where the server is realistically in spitting distance of the other device you have a choice of what you want to do-
    In your case
    Do you make the wii a server and have the mac transfer files to it?
    Do you make the mac a server and have the wii get files from it?

Either works for me although having a wii be the server is probably the better bet for you (FTPii seems to be quite well developed and messing around with the wii remote to transfer files.... urgh).
    Bonus- as mentioned FTP is very simple and there is probably a command line application so you can probably automate it- sync the files to the mac and run the script at which point it will upload all the files and with a bit of thought you can probably do the "if newer part" but automating it can be covered later.

7. xwatchmanx
    OP

United States
    alright, cool! I'll gives this a shot once I'm done moving, and report back with my progress. thanks again!

8. scubasteve85

Newcomer scubasteve85 Newbie

United States
    If I'm thinkning correctly, most emulators on the Wii include the ability to play over the network via FTP. If you setup an FTP server on the Mac that pointed to the roms folder, that would keep the Mac and Wii in sync. Then sync that rom folder with Dropbox to keep the Android synced on the go. That would be how is so it.