any better graphics card i can buy?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by baffle-boy, Dec 28, 2009.

Dec 28, 2009
  1. baffle-boy
    OP

Member baffle-boy GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    im planning on using the money i got from Christmas to buy a graphics card. i plan on using it fro gaming, but nothing too intense (i don't mind turning the quality down a little, and my resolution is 1280X1024) i was planning on getting the EVGA Geforce 9400GT but my budget recently went from about 70$ canadian (after 10$ shipping that comes with every gfx card from newegg) to just under 90$. so i'm wondering if there is another graphics card that is just a little more expensive that will give a large difference in performance. all help is appreciated!

2. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    If your budget can stretch to about $93 I would aim for the Geforce 9800GT

Otherwise I'd get a Radeon HD 4670.

3. baffle-boy
    OP

Member baffle-boy GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    thanks a lot! the Geforce 9800GT may be a little too expensive (maybe) but the Radeon HD 4670 looks nice! now which specific cardx to buy... [​IMG]

4. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
  5. TrolleyDave

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    I've been thinking about upgrading my video card myself. I usually just use the PC for basic stuff and watching videos. I've got a 4350 at the mo which has been ideal for what I've been using it for. Tried playing some games with it and it runs them surprisingly well, but they could be better. Borderlands runs perfectly with full settings at 800x600. Would upgrading to a card like this improve it? I've got an Athalon dual core 2.8Ghz with 2 gig of RAM, if that makes any difference at all. I'm not really that clued up on PC stuff, always been more of a console man really. The one thing I really need it to be is capable of running dual monitors, as I use one for watching vids and one for working on. The card I've got at the mo lets me run The Sims 3 at 1440x900 on full settings and watch a vid at the same time. I get the occasional stuttering on the video but it's mostly really smooth.

6. Elritha

Canada
    You should see a noticeable improvement in performance if you upgraded. For example the 4670 has 4 times the amount of Stream Processors then the 4350 (320 instead of 80). It also has 4 times the amount of Texture Units (32 instead of 8). It also has higher clock rates, meaning it should be quite a bit faster.

7. TrolleyDave

United Kingdom
    Nice one for that info mate, gonna pick one up then. They're actually quite cheap so it shouldn't take too long to get the cash together. Are there any cards that are better that are around the same price range do you know?

8. Elritha

Canada
    For that price range the ATI 4670 is better then any equivalent Nvidia has to offer. You could of course spend a bit more and get a higher range card. It really depends on your budget.

9. TrolleyDave

United Kingdom
    The price of the 4670 is about as far as my budget will stretch. [​IMG] But if it's a decent enough card for the price and it'll improve the PCs performance I'll grab it. Of course, if I can find someone to buy the 4350 I might be able to stretch an extra few quid. What about power consumption? I've only got a 450W power supply, will that make a difference?

10. Elritha

Canada
    The 4670 doesn't require a large power supply. To my knowledge it doesn't even require a 6 pin power connector from your psu. It should run fine.

11. TrolleyDave

United Kingdom
    Nice one, I'll add the 4670 to the shopping list. Cheers for the help mate, most appreciated.