Hacking Any benefit to 6.35 pro vs 6.20 pro?

nl255

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Is there anything that you can do with 6.35 Pro that you can't on 6.20 Pro? In other words, is there any reason to upgrade to 6.35 Pro?

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
no, there's not. The only difference would be that 6.20 has perma patch and some OFW feature differences (the features/upgrades that were added to 6.35 will obviously not be present in 6.20).

I don't recall that many features that were added to 6.35, though.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Depends upon any integral difference in the 6.20 and 6.35 pops for PSX Eboot compatibility, at least until popsloader is ported to 6.xx.

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
xist said:
Depends upon any integral difference in the 6.20 and 6.35 pops for PSX Eboot compatibility, at least until popsloader is ported to 6.xx.

Hello, friend, FYI both PRO firmwares have the same PSX compatibility.
tongue.gif

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
They can't be identical unless the 6.20 pops and 6.35 pops are. Previous firmwares have showed differences within incremental firmwares (5.00 pops =/= 5.03 =/= 5.50, 3.71 =/= 3.72 =/= 3.80) so it's plausible, although perhaps not quite so probable given the reason for new OFW's of late, that 6.20 and 6.35 don't have an identical pops emulator due to internal differences.

Schlupi

Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
xist said:
They can't be identical unless the 6.20 pops and 6.35 pops are. Previous firmwares have showed differences within incremental firmwares (5.00 pops =/= 5.03 =/= 5.50, 3.71 =/= 3.72 =/= 3.80) so it's plausible, although perhaps not quite so probable given the reason for new OFW's of late, that 6.20 and 6.35 don't have an identical pops emulator due to internal differences.

That's what I thought for a while, but after looking through testing threads I THINK people confirmed that CB and VF modified the pops anyways for better compatibility, and they share the same (since testing all games has been giving the same results so far) support.

I MAY be wrong. If I can find the original post saying so in the Pops topic at Wololo (SO MAAAANY PAGES) I can show you.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Perhaps i'm being massively stupid, but i'd guess that if they could in fact modify the pops files between firmwares (assuming that they were indeed different) then they'd be able to conjure up a working popsloader. (i.e. they didn't mess with pops in the two PRO's)

Schlupi

Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
xist said:
Perhaps i'm being massively stupid, but i'd guess that if they could in fact modify the pops files between firmwares (assuming that they were indeed different) then they'd be able to conjure up a working popsloader. (i.e. they didn't mess with pops in the two PRO's)

That's ALSO a good point. I dunno. Just for the record, I have personally seen the same compatibility between the two (of the 30-40 games I tested) with no differences.

You got me thinking now.
unsure.gif

Maybe it is too much work to make PERFECT compatibility or they don't see the point? I mean only a few handfuls of games won't work (like, 20 or so?) and most of them are obscure titles... maybe they didn't see the point and hoped that other people would help work on it (they DID release their source and everything).

I guess we will never know unless they tell us.
tongue.gif

nl255

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Looks like there is one advantage. Game Categories Light won't work on 6.20 Pro B5 on the PSP Go. It is as if the plugin isn't even there. Yes, I tried both neur0n's version and version 1.3.

nl255

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
flo said:
Some games apparently need a higher version than 6.20 to work http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayS...compatibilities
But i've tried GOW Sparta ( 6.31 fw ) , MJ Experience ( 6.35 fw ) and Lord of Arcana ( 6.37 fw ) and they all worked on 6.20 PRO-B5 . What makes them work on a lower firmware than they're required ?

There are two ways that a PSP game can require a higher firmware. The first is that the minimum firmware "required" is set in the PARAM.SFO file. The second is that the game can be encrypted with keys for newer firmware versions, as each new firmware version includes additional decryption keys. Some games only use PARAM.SFO protection, while others actually need the newer decryption keys to run (typically when a new firmware comes out, new games first use the PARAM.SFO method and then later new games use new keys as it is much easer for developers to change PARAM.SFO themsevles rather than get Sony to sign/resign the game with they new keys for them). The first method is easy to defeat, as the CFW can just ignore the PARAM.SFO values and try to run it anyway. The second method can be defeated by adding the new keys into the CFW. That is how the Prometheus addon (run 6.31/6.35 or lower games on 5.50 CFW) worked and it turns out that the developer of Prometheus, Liquizong, is also one of the PRO firmware developers. Of course, once the new keys are added to one CFW, it is easy enough for others (i.e. aloader) to get them as well as the keys aren't obfuscated in CFW like they are in OFW.

flo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hungary
So..no need to update to 6.39CFW to play newest games ? All games work on 6.20 PRO-B5 ?
I have a PSP with 8A date code , MB is TA-085 v2 , it's a 02G , i understand i can also install 6.39ME which would be permanent ?

Also ..on 6.20 can you play PSP Minis ? They require a minimum of 6.31

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Of the two the best choice for you is the 6.20 PRO B5 perm patch. Neur0n's firmwares don't offer you anything more in the way of compatibility at the current time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1