Any app suggestions to turn off my phone's cell radios?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones and Media Players' started by Chocolina, May 13, 2013.

1. Chocolina
    OP

Chocolina GBAtemp Fan

May 28, 2012
    United States
    So I bought a used smart phone to use as a portable media device, because honestly, even outdated phones are more powerful, capable, and cheaper than makers will allow their media devices allow.

A shining example of this is the horrendously outdated and way over priced Samsung Galaxy Player. It has about as much processing power (CPU, GPU, and RAM) as a smart phone from 2010 or before, running a super-outdated version of Android, and if you can still find one new, its still over $250 (It launched a year ago @$300 & used ones only as little as $120).

So I bought a used HTC Evo 3D for $100 with much better hardware specs all around. So I'm looking for an app that will kill the cell radio in my phone. I can use the settings or widgets to enable/disable my 4G and "Data" connection, but I'm still getting cell reception bars. That can only mean that some of my battery is still being used for the "phone" part of my phone.

I can use Airplane Mode to kill my radio AND still use Wifi, but I can't use Bluetooth for Music streaming. I still want to have Wifi and Bluetooth, but no Data, 4G, Cell Bars, GPS, or any other wireless signal I have no use for.

What I have found on my phone is an app simply called Network that does just that, however I have to keep opening the app to turn off the radio when I turn on my device. I want to keep my radio shutoff even after shutdown and reboot. I like to use Nova Launcher to keep my app sraw and desktop as simple, essential, and functionless as possible, So I'd prefer to have this "Network" app hidden due to how ugly it looks in appearance.

I know its a long story, but does anyone know how to turn off my radio specifically and keep it off?
    And yes I am rooted.

2. yusuo

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    you can write a crontab script to run the "network" program automatically everytime you turn on you phone. I used to do it with my galaxy s 2, I had a script that would mount the sd card on a custom rom. All you need is root and a script program from the play store

3. yusuo

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006