Any alternate firmware for a G6DS Real?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Gnargle, Jun 28, 2010.

Jun 28, 2010
  1. Gnargle
    OP

Member Gnargle The day I set a profile picture is the day I die

United Kingdom
    Cause updates have dried up and I can't play JWTB [​IMG]

2. DeltaBurnt

Member DeltaBurnt I'm bored

United States
    Alternate as in also has embedded storage?

3. Gnargle
    OP

United Kingdom
    Not alternate carts, alternate OS's. If I have to get a new card I'll be upgrading to SCDS2, but I don't want to shell out if I don't have to.

4. DeltaBurnt

Member DeltaBurnt I'm bored

United States
    Oh wow, my mind totally jumped the gun on that and assumed you wanted an alternate cart (I could have sworn it wasn't alternate firmware :\ ).

Anyways, I don't think there's any alternate firmwares for the G6DS. The M3 has the G6 firmware (touchpod), Sakura, and then tons of other hacked firmwares. But even still they're all only M3 firmwares, so the updates are all the same.

5. Gnargle
    OP

United Kingdom
    I am sad [​IMG]

6. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
  7. Gnargle
    OP

United Kingdom
    Yeah, that's what I'm running, but it doesn't fix the problems... [​IMG]
    When I get the money, I'm getting a new cart. The M3 team is pretty much dead, I think.

8. RupeeClock

United Kingdom
  9. Arm73

Member Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy
    I actually check this page for most recent updates ( if I'm allowed ) :

http://www.linfoxdomain.com/nintendo/ds/

Often times they just release an( unnoticed ) quick fix and quietly fix some games( last update 4 days ago ), and to tell you the truth, the card has never disappointed me.
    Very solid indeed.
    I was forced to get an AK2i because I got an XL and my G6real wouldn't work on it, otherwise I would have sticked with it.
    The only complain I have, is the somehow slow loader.
    I'd rather go for a slicker, faster version of the OS even by sacrificing some features.
    But other then that, I still use it in my DSlite ( which is mainly used by my bother these days ) and we never look to run the latest games right away.....there are so many already out to catch on first !!!!!!

10. Gnargle
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thank you [​IMG]

EDIT: Or not :/ Interestingly, the cart now refuses to make a savefile, instead just outputting a .OPT file (which it does with all of them), then proceeding to the game. Obviously, the game does not work because there is no save file, so it comes with the error.
    EDIT 2: And now it's decided to crash on me. FORMAT!

11. Gnargle
    OP

United Kingdom
    Double post, but oh well.
    The crash and reformat bricked my cart. Great.
    Looks like I'm in the market for a new one. I'm considering the SCDS2, but it's quite expensive. I hear good things about the AK2i and AKAIO...

12. CamulaHikari

Member CamulaHikari Kami Kurai

Netherlands
    If you don't have the money for a SCDS2 then the Acekard 2i is a good choice indeed. AKAIO works well and well I never had any problems with it since I bought my Acekard2i (that's about 3-4 months ago)~!

13. Arm73

Member Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy

You see It's a good thing you decided to open this topic...........
    Following our advices, you successfully managed to brick you card, now you don't have to worry about finding a new firmware, you just have to buy a new card (anyway ) [​IMG]
    New card.............., new firmware, problem solved !

Now my advice would be for you to carefully read all the other cards review on GBAtemp and find out which OS appeals to you most ( I like AKAIO, is everything I could ask for and more, also fast and slick ), so that when you get your card you'll be happy with it and won't have to go trough this troubles again.
    I like happy endings!

14. RupeeClock

United Kingdom
    Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that...unfortunately these flash carts can't live forever though. Actually I had an old CycloDS a few years back and gave it to my cousin, but it broke recently and you cannot update it anymore.

So, as for buying a new flashcart, it all depends on what you want out of it.
    I have three main suggestions.

1: An original R4DS.
    These things are really really cheap to find, like $13 for a 2gb set at Shoptemp. When you install WoodR4 they work fantastically, with pretty much perfect compatibility at the moment.
    Because it's so cheap though, you're capped to 2gb, and it won't work on a DSi, it also has less features than an Acekard 2i.

2: An Acekard 2i.
    Also very affordable, at $15 standalone, just install AKAIO firmware and away you go. On top of the R4, this offers SDHC and DSi support, with some very nice firmware functions like cheats/loader updating over wifi.

3: A Supercard DStwo.
    This is a premium flashcart costing £35 by itself, but not without reason. The DSTwo features an integrated processor that already offers advanced functions like GBA emulation, real-time saves, cheats, guides, the "free cheat" system, and in the future promises to deliver SNES emulation, video playback, e-book reading and more.
    Because there will be an SDK made available for the DStwo's special processor, it may flourish into the most promising homebrew scene on the DS, exclusive to the DStwo.

In any case these are all fine choices, it all boils down to those key differences. R4 is barebones (just like retail carts), AK2i gives you a bit more, and DSTwo gives you a lot.
    I advise you to buy from Shoptemp as they offer very good prices on the three flashcarts I recommend, and great customer support.

15. Gnargle
    OP

United Kingdom
    I might go for an R4, actually. 2GB is fine for me, I only had 1GB on my G6 so that'll actually be an improvement.How good with homebrew is Wood?

16. Gnargle
    OP

United Kingdom
    I might go for an R4, actually. 2GB is fine for me, I only had 1GB on my G6 so that'll actually be an improvement.How good with homebrew is Wood?

17. RupeeClock

United Kingdom
    I haven't really tried much homebrew on Wood, but I hear it's pretty good.
    I'm pretty sure you can also set it up so you can boot firmware 1.18 from Wood R4 firmware, just in case you want improved homebrew compatibility.