Hardware Any advice on wanting to use a 3DS console on 10.5hr flight?

retrofan_k

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
I'm told airlines don't have electrical sockets to plug in a 120/240v plug into, as I want to take my 3DS on my flight, which is going to be 10 and half hours long and the battery is never going to last the full duration.

Is there anything that I can do, so I can use this for the time i'm on the flight?

Thanks

Last edited by retrofan_k,

Haymose

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well it depends on the plane you may be able to use your standard charger. Yeah buy a usb charger and a battery backup and you're set.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
With that charger, how many hours do you get using the 3DS from a full charge?
I usually get two or three full charges of the system, but that's with me charging my phone, tablet et al. I'm sure it'd last you a 10 hour flight.

Reactions: retrofan_k

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Obviously, you'll want to turn off your Wi-Fi (you're on a plane, after all). You should also turn the brightness to its lowest setting, you should use the power-saving mode under the brightness setting, and you shouldn't use 3D. It won't get you 10.5 hours, but it might get you 3-6 hours, depending on the quality of your battery and what you're playing.

A portable charger is another option, but only if you consider it worth the investment of a single round-trip flight.

Also, do you really need your 3DS to last the full 10.5 hours? There are plenty of other ways to pass the time: books, podcasts, music, chatting, other games, etc.

retrofan_k

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
Obviously, you'll want to turn off your Wi-Fi (you're on a plane, after all). You should also turn the brightness to its lowest setting, you should use the power-saving mode under the brightness setting, and you shouldn't use 3D. It won't get you 10.5 hours, but it might get you 3-6 hours, depending on the quality of your battery and what you're playing.

A portable charger is another option, but only if you consider it worth the investment of a single round-trip flight.

Also, do you really need your 3DS to last the full 10.5 hours? There are plenty of other ways to pass the time: books, podcasts, music, chatting, other games, etc.

lol, depends if I get engrossed in title like OOT or Majora's mask.

Reactions: Lacius

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Buy one of those long life batteries, Also, turn wifi function off, turn brightness down to 1 and power save on, don't use 3d function. Avoid games that access sd card (May need actual approval) Help saves battery. :unsure:

Reactions: Lacius

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
pull the panel off the back of the seat and tap into some of the power leads that go to the screens...... :ph34r:

ok probably not the best plan, get a beefy powerbank and USB 3DS charger

retrofan_k

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
pull the panel off the back of the seat and tap into some of the power leads that go to the screens...... :ph34r:

ok probably not the best plan, get a beefy powerbank and USB 3DS charger

lol:P. I have gone with what ScarletKohaku suggested, as it looks like a decent power supply to use, which will do for other devices too.

Reactions: gamesquest1

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Illinois is working to ban toxic food additives that have been banned for decades in other countries; additives that can be replaced and all those countries still have Skittles and Mountain Dew. Title of the piece: GUBMINT WANTS TO TAKE AWAY YOUR CANDY
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Gee, I wonder if the author is biased?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Sounds and smells like bullshit. They don't give you cancer, and California should know that. I don't get why they stick labels that say "may or may not cause reproductive harm or cancer".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Arsenic doesn't give you cancer either.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    California has already banned those additives BTW.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Psi has been banned in the state of California.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I am the cancer!!! lol
    Yayyy got arcade games on the Pi working lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
    Now to spend 6 months deleting all the garbage lol
    Mame should be two sets one for preservation of everything and one set for people who just want to play and enjoy the old old ganes
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Shouldn't preservation be legal tho?
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I always see this dude's shorts, he sounds pretty annoying.
    +1
    Preservation yeah it absolutely should be legal
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Believe Japan was going to make it legal at some point, according to a Kotaku story.
    +1
    I swear like 99% of arcade games wouldn't even exist these days outside of MAME the arcade machines are old and busted very few ever saw any sort of home conversion
    We get 37 versions of Super Mario Bros but 0 of Beast Busters
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, There's a lot of obscure Japanese arcade titles that are either lost to time or dumped.
    +1
    It's so unfair, maybe AI can save us lol
    I mean if a company could use AI to do the work of a home conversion for essentially free why not? The rights for some games are completely lost though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, AI is taking our jobs!
    +1
    Just tried the Master System version.... Ugghh
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Just tried the Master System version.... Ugghh