any 3ds carts that DONT need a DS to update?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by zanfire, Jan 23, 2013.

Jan 23, 2013
  1. zanfire
    OP

Member zanfire GBAtemp Regular

United States
    just wondering because my friend who lives in another state wants one, but has no DS anymore, is there any that can update without a DS? (and he already accidently ordered an r4i gold from realhotstuff.com and is trying to see how to cancel)

2. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    I seem to recall there being some card (Supercard DS TWO, perhaps?) that simply required you put the update file on the micro SD card and put it in a 3DS console and turned on power to update. You just waited a minute or two, rebooted and it was updated. (I believe turning on the 3DS powered the card, allowing the internal CPU to perform the update).

Although Nintendo may have stopped this working since then. Come to think of it, I can't remember if it was in the 3DS days or the DSi days I heard of this.

3. GamerzHell9137

Member GamerzHell9137 GBAtemp Psycho!

Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Buy cards that are already updated.
    You can update DSTWO on a 3DS(Latest firwmare) but that method is risky cause it can brick the card.

4. zanfire
    OP

United States
    well il let him know when he gets off work, i had totally forgot about needing a DS to update the things and he had already bought one. Hopefully they give him the money back.

Il tell him his options and he can decide what he wants to do, though i think the mention of a possible bricking using the 3ds update way on the dstwo he might just forget it.

5. GamerzHell9137

Bosnia and Herzegovina
    No, i mean the method can brick the Flashcard(DSTWO) not the system.

6. zanfire
    OP

United States
    oh ok, well thats not nearly as bad. Any trusted sites that sell DSTWO with it updated? ive only personally used realhotstuff.com myself, but i dont see anything about it being pre-updated.

7. GamerzHell9137

Bosnia and Herzegovina
    ZhuZhuChina sells them pre-updated.
    And one more thing, it seems the DSTWO has some kind of contact issues with 3DS systems.
    I saw about 10 peoples on gbatemp complaining about it.

8. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Yeah I don't know if the latest batch they put out has a different shape or something because all of a sudden we have people who get a DSTwo and can't use it on their 3DS/XL.

9. Technicmaster0

Member Technicmaster0 GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    My DSTwo has contact issues with my DSi system but not with the 3DS. But it's sometimes hard to eject the card.

Just to remember you: No flashcard plays 3DS games. Just DS mode is avaible yet.

The second update function works fine with the latest firmware.

10. zanfire
    OP

United States
    we know they dont play 3ds games, though my pirating arse is hoping they hack the thing soon (seems like its getting closer with some of the recent posts)

11. PsyBlade

Member PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Germany
    updated my rev8 r4ids.cn on my 3ds fine ... till they stopped releasing updates