Gaming Any 2 Gbit games announced?

sabinraijin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently heard that 2 Gbit carts (aka 2048 Mbit carts) are now available to developers. First of all, is this true? And second, are there any games announced yet that take advantage of them? I heard a rumor that Dragon Quest IX was going to use two carts. Obviously false, but do you think it might use a 2 Gbit cart?

sabinraijin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know it could just use the DS's internal memory for cart switching, but a two-cart game just doesn't sound right when you could just use one double-sized cart. Unless, of course, they meant two 2048 mbit carts. But that bit of news didn't come straight from SE (rumor started from speculation, afaik), so I really couldn't believe it.

Anyways I just want to get confirmation (if possible, that is) that 2048 mbit carts are out and aboot for developers. I'm looking forward to games that take advantage of that much space!

ilovengage

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I doubt that a 2-card DS game will be released because that could be a security problem.

Nintendo doesn't let games crash when the DS card is ejected while playing just for fun ....

azndragonguy115

Trophies
Website
hai-san.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
2 carts?
ohmy.gif

i wonder how you gonna play on flashcarts if you need to hotswap games

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
is this 2 cart thing for real on NDS? I mean if so, then they musn't be able to get more information on one cart, as surely the production cost of adding more to one cart would be less than 2 carts so they would have gone that way if it was possible surely

Elrinth

:Master beyond your imagination:
Trophies
Website
www.elrinth.com
XP
Country
wow.. so it is coming on two carts
smile.gif

impressive. I wonder what the diffrence is between the two carts... as in what's stored on one which isn't stored on the other
smile.gif

renay

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
That image is photoshopped. It's from SomethingAwful's forums.

I like the idea of 2 DS carts, though. It'd be better than trying to fit everything all on one and limiting the game by doing so.

squee

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If you look at the awesome graphics, it's no wonder a 1Gbit card can't save all the textures. But it could also be like LotR The Third Age for GC, which had two disks, one for the good and one for the evil champaign
unsure.gif

Kyuzumaki

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they could use the online function to upload and download a save when you swap carts. But i can't see 2 carts happening it's more likley they have two 1Gb chips in one cart and switch between them.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The DS freezes when you remove a card from slot 1 because it's programmed to do so. They could easily program DQIX or any other multi-card game to allow the cards to be switched as necessary.

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Or they could simply include a small bit of data at the end of the save when you reach the end of card 1. Have you turn off the system, insert card 2, then it checks for that small bit of data and if it's there, you get to continue the game on card 2.

phoood

taking it to a whole new level.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wow, this suddenly tunrs into a dragon quest 9 thread.

You know, does anybody here know _for sure_ that we're gona see that game's happy face anyone where else besides in japan?

SynGamer

Trophies
Website
syngamer.com
XP
Country
United States
Wow, this suddenly tunrs into a dragon quest 9 thread.

You know, does anybody here know _for sure_ that we're gona see that game's happy face anyone where else besides in japan?
With the DS's sales and the fact that DQ is one of the more popular games in Japan (and surprisingly the U.S. as well), it will definitely be in the states...after localization :|

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)