Hacking Anti-Piracy on 3DS Games?

jastolze

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If games included AP on 3DS Games, how would someone bypass that? Is it possible to edit games like Pokemon X/Y or the newer Zelda one?

If so, what would need to be done and would it be time consuming?

Thanks!

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Pokemon X/ Y look amazing...and the just hearing you talking about stealing it just grinds my gears.
I really wish the Gateway could have waited...because if this takes off...devs possibly will pull out of 3DS development like the PSP. I hope that they won't work for Gateway [at least for a while]...so they have incentive to release another zelda or pokemon 3D game in the future.

Jockel

This is where you're wrong, kiddo
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Pokemon X/ Y look amazing...and the just hearing you talking about stealing it just grinds my gears.

"Stealin Shit on the High Seas"
And you do realize that Pokeymans is a million seller either way? Piracy causes way more harm to smaller budget and indie titles.
(FYI I'm buying it day one as well, I want to support developers whenever I can)

Reactions: T Link7

Green Cat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Is it possible to edit games like Pokemon X/Y or the newer Zelda one?

No, editing them would change the signature and make them unable to be run by a 3DS, at least until gateway disables signature checks.
Also before editing games we would need to decrypt them, which we are not able to do as of yet.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
"Stealin Shit on the High Seas"
And you do realize that Pokeymans is a million seller either way? Piracy causes way more harm to smaller budget and indie titles.
(FYI I'm buying it day one as well, I want to support developers whenever I can)

I can't confirm or deny if I'm a real life pirate :tpi:

eh I guess...the game will sellout regardless...but I just want another game to happen..you don't know HOW long I waited to finally have a 3D pokemon game. I'm going to support them on day one as well. Just like Beyond Two Souls. :) I just don't want the 3DS to become like the PSP. where you saw anticipated games that were "cancelled' or put into "development hell" to later be cancelled.

I have waited for a pokemon 3D game for so long, I posted this a year ago = > http://gbatemp.net/threads/brand-ne...-coming-to-the-wii.317600/page-3#post-4047150

and the answer to your question is YES. if there is a 3DS ROM dump...and someone can edit it...than they can reverse engineer the Anti-piracy code...it's been done on the DS...it most likely will be done on the 3DS

Reactions: mystril

Jockel

This is where you're wrong, kiddo
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
and the answer to your question is YES. if there is a 3DS ROM dump...and someone can edit it...than they can reverse engineer the Anti-piracy code...it's been done on the DS...it most likely will be done on the 3DS

From what I understand the encryption isn't broken yet. So that'd mean only vanilla game images.

ShadowFyre

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I really wish the Gateway could have waited...because if this takes off...devs possibly will pull out of 3DS development like the PSP. I hope that they won't work for Gateway [at least for a while]...so they have incentive to release another zelda or pokemon 3D game in the future.

Well to be fair, Nintendo makes zelda/pokemon games, and frankly, they can take the piracy hit, unlike any other 3rd part developer supporting the 3DS. Not saying developers won't be not scared of supporting the 3DS though.

opal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Do you really think that devs would pull out of 3DS development like the PSP just because 1000 - 2000 tops pirated units?
PSP was very easy to pirate, everyone could just do it for free. 3DS needs not that cheap GW3D+4.5 FW = many will not be even able to pirate that superb game like Pokemon :)

navimegaman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
the problem with the ds was that the r4 cards were too easy to come by, even being sold cheaply in shops on the high street (at least here in london). The 3DS is defo different and nintendo won't allow that to happen again. Not sure what you mean by antipiracy though, as whatever they have at the moment seems to be doing the job.

mystril

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
If Gateway 3DS remains niche, developers will not get cold feet.

If it's like PS3 where online play is integral in some games, naturally people will buy. It's a hassle to mod, root etc + no online features. Costs outweigh the benefits.

It will be a huge waste if 3DS is bogged down by Piracy. So many potential years ahead!

mystril

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Do you really think that devs would pull out of 3DS development like the PSP just because 1000 - 2000 tops pirated units?
PSP was very easy to pirate, everyone could just do it for free. 3DS needs not that cheap GW3D+4.5 FW = many will not be even able to pirate that superb game like Pokemon :)

I agree. GW3DS = 2-3 New Games. Applicable to Old Sets that are not updated *for now*.

Pokemon may have it's AP working just like in DS Emulator where Codes are needed to run Pokemon W2/B2. IMO, I rather just get the game though I hate to lose that 150-300% speed boost. I had lost several hours of gameplay due to crashes. You can say that the speed boost gains is cancelled by crashes =/

I hope Pokemon X/Y battle speed is faster that its predecessor. Or at least provide a function like in FE:Awakening where there's 2X to skim through the battle scenes. It's wonderful.

Rinnux

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Piracy on the 3ds won't be as bad as the psp or ds simply because it's not as easy and accessible to many people. Anyone can figure out how to use a ds flashcart, however the gateway requires a little more effort. Not to mention the fact that it only works on older firmware. Also first party nintendo games are not going to be cancelled because of piracy. Nintendo has so much money that they can afford to loose a few thousand sales on a first party game.

Carnivean

STARMAN
Trophies
XP
Country
You kids sure like your high horses, huh?

Currently there's no way for the general public to edit roms to counter any potential anti-piracy methods in place. It's entirely possible however that the gateway will see updates to counter that should it happen but there is no guarantee of anything right now.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Pirating software in no way resembles stealing - you don't actually take anything away from anyone, you produce an unauthorized copy of it. If there was no intention of buying the software in the first place then no losses were sustained. I'm pretty sure that you understand that if I take a piece of candy from a baby, the baby no longer has the piece while if I copy a baby's game, the baby still has the game in question.
The 3DS is defo different and nintendo won't allow that to happen again.
Every single platform Nintendo has ever released has been hacked and had its games pirated - what makes you think the 3DS will be any different? You're saying as if Nintendo could do anything about it - they can't. They can slow down the process but they certainly can't stop it - no system is perfect.

As for countering Anti-Piracy, there is indeed no way to alter encrypted ROM's, however the Gateway does have a limited capacity for using live patches, demonstrated by firmware spoofing and region spoofing (both of which - minimal firmware and region are embedded in the ROM).
Piracy on the 3ds won't be as bad as the psp or ds simply because it's not as easy and accessible to many people.
How is it not? I can literally go online and hook myself up with a Gateway right now, then I can proceed to buy a 3DS on E-Bay or in a mom and pop game store (which will be running a low firmware because they just don't care) and presto! I just got myself a ROM-capable 3DS combo. It's literally just as accessible as it was on the DS - it's a mirracle that the 3DS got such a good ROM solution so early on.
PSP was very easy to pirate, everyone could just do it for free.
It took years upon years to get the PSP to the stage it is in now - just a few years back having anything beyond an early PSP-2000 meant that you couldn't even dream of running ISO's or homebrew. It wasn't "easy", but the free factor was there indeed. I'm actually expecting the 3DS to get its own flavor of CFW somewhere down the line - I don't see why it couldn't once more of its secrets are revealed.

Reactions: Thirty3Three

Rinnux

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How is it not? I can literally go online and hook myself up with a Gateway right now, then I can proceed to buy a 3DS on E-Bay or in a mom and pop game store (which will be running a low firmware because they just don't care) and presto! I just got myself a ROM-capable 3DS combo. It's literally just as accessible as it was on the DS - it's a mirracle that the 3DS got such a good ROM solution so early on..

What I meant is that it isn't as "plug and play" as the ds is. Yes it is an easy process. However it is not nearly as convenient. I'm not saying its hard, I'm saying is that there are more hoops to jump through.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
What I meant is that it isn't as "plug and play" as the ds is. Yes it is an easy process. However it is not nearly as convenient. I'm not saying its hard, I'm saying is that there are more hoops to jump through.
I understand "hoops" in the context of weird flashing devices running on serial ports taking a zillion of years to flash one game, no memory card support of any kind and entailed hardware modding - putting a card in and using it from the get-go is the definition of Plug and Play. :P

Rinnux

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand "hoops" in the context of weird flashing devices running on serial ports, taking a zillion of years to flash one game, no memory card support of any kind and entailed hardware modding - putting a card in and using it from the get-go is the definition of Plug and Play. :P
Fair enough.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
As for countering Anti-Piracy, there is indeed no way to alter encrypted ROM's, however the Gateway does have a limited capacity for using live patches, demonstrated by firmware spoofing and region spoofing (both of which - minimal firmware and region are embedded in the ROM).
Not necessarily. It can just tell the game "yeah this 3DS is running the right firmware/region don't worry" and nothing about the ROM would need to be patched or edited whatsoever. Proper AP might be harder to get around - not to mention the possibility that a firmware update comes along that spoofing won't work on because it actually has some new features or something.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Not necessarily. It can just tell the game "yeah this 3DS is running the right firmware/region don't worry" and nothing about the ROM would need to be patched or edited whatsoever. Proper AP might be harder to get around - not to mention the possibility that a firmware update comes along that spoofing won't work on because it actually has some new features or something.

That's exactly what a live patch is. :rolleyes:

The console can "tell the game" that everything's fine just as easily as it can tell it that the region and the firmware are correct. As for the so-called "new features of firmware", I wouldn't be so keen on thinking that those too cannot be accounted for with patches. The console's been out for quite some time now and any alteration of system calls is running head-first into a possibility of lack of compatibility with already released games ("Ridge Racer 3D", anyone?). As for new features altogether, there's only so much space for firmware. I'd say that not much will be changed from now on in terms of how games are ran or made much like there weren't any substantial additions to the PS3's instructions since 3.55, at least none that would actually influence games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte