Anti piracy fix for Pokemon Red/Blue?

Discussion in 'Other Handhelds' started by Snugglevixen, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Snugglevixen
    OP

Snugglevixen Fox Princess

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    My den
    Is there an anti piracy fix for Pokémon Red and Blue that actually works so I can use them (specifically hackROMs of them) on Pokémon Stadium 1 and 2 via EMS SmartCard without random errors?

www.twitch.tv/snugglevixen you can see the errors in my recent videos and they are present regardless of whether I use that hack or a raw Blue ROM. When GB Tower comes up with that reinsert game pak message it will also say I put in the wrong game pak if I reinsert the Smart Card without a Mega Memory Card

http://thegaminguniverse.org/ninjagaiden4/mottzilla/smartcard.html all this "fix" does is cause the GB Tower to crash upon selecting a game, the save issues are still present.

Supposedly the problem is the GB ROM periodically doing something on the ROM portion of the SmartCard and working out it's got a flash chip instead of a ROM chip so it decides to shut off the RAM access.
    It may be possible that Stadium is also doing the same thing and thus the only fix is to get someone to write the hacks I want to PROM carts (which I don't know where to find) or get an Everdrive 64 with a patched Stadium ROM.

Update: I was reading around on the Everdrive GB forums since I was considering trying one of those and wondered if the Transfer Pak mod isn't necessary if I just put the single ROM on and there was a thread mentioning SD card write protection switches and it got me thinking, what if I soldered a write protection switch on the flash memory on my Smart Card? Could someone help me with a diagram on what pins I would need to solder the switch to?

Last edited by Snugglevixen, Jul 18, 2015
  2. tan-tan

tan-tan GBAtemp Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    Canada
    RBY (and GSC) work fine in the Stadium games with my EMS card. It works perfect as long as you put only one game on ( it must be on the 1st bank.) Hackroms may not necessarily work in GB Tower if they are very different from the original RB, but you should have no trouble using them with the laboratory and stadium features.

Snugglevixen likes this.
  3. Snugglevixen
    OP

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    My den
    I'm having trouble with both a hackrom and a raw Blue rom and I'm using just one at a time.
    I used the original writing software.
    I have seen some pictures of Smart Cards that have capacitors that aren't in mine. Perhaps I have a bad model.
    Doesn't seem to be a battery problem as the saves aren't getting randomly deleted when turned off

http://www.tototek.com/store/index....ducts_id=142&zenid=gv6dj4na6a491qrq5ibgl18j62 this is where I bought mine from

I do recall reading a thread by someone who tricked GB Tower into loading some Mario games and they had the same issues. So it seems like it might be a common fault mine has (or GB Tower just didn't like non Pokémon saves in his case). It did come up on Super Mario Land though even though that game doesn't save at all.

Perhaps I could try propping up the connectors a little bit incase they're not making a solid connection with the Transfer Pak

Attached Files:

Last edited by Snugglevixen, Jul 21, 2015
  4. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

Sep 6, 2013
    Bullet Hell
    I'm not sure if it would work with an original GB cart, but I used to use a homebrew app on my Acekard on my DS that would rip and restore saves from original GBA carts. I think it was named GBA Backup Tool
    It was very handy with Pokemon - being able to rip a legit save, dump it to my pc, apply a few cheats to it in VBA, dump it back to the legit cart.
    Obviously would require access to an original DS/DS lite... and as specified, it's a GBA tool - it may work with original GB, or there may be a similar app available.

5. Snugglevixen
    OP

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    My den
    I think you might have accidentally posted in the wrong thread. You can use Mega Memory Card + a Super Card to backup GB saves to PC. Backup to Mega Memory Card then put the save onto Smart Card then connect Smart Card to PC.

6. Snugglevixen
    OP

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    My den
    Update: Tried putting my Pokémon Red circuit board in the EMS casing and it worked fine, I even copied the save from the hackrom over to Red.
    Next thing I tried was padding up the EMS casing with some tape to prop up the Smart Card's connectors and the GB Tower would give me a transfer pak error. And I often got the error about the GamePak not being set correctly when starting up Stadium 2.

Put the SC back together in it's usual self and it's having the same problems as before. In GB Tower I get Save error, please reinsert the gamepak, I reinsert it and it says the GamePak or data has changed, tried putting Red in and got the same thing, if I put in the Smart Card with the Mega Memory Card it will resume saving.

Another issue I get is when selecting Pokémon to battle with in Stadium/Gym Leader Castle/Free Battle is sometimes upon selecting the game it will give a transfer pak error. Sometimes it doesn't.

It also sometimes gives errors in the lab when saving data, when loaded back up the data is clearly saved.

I think it could be a problem with the flash on my Smart Card. It would seem to be an anti piracy ROM write causing this and as I pointed out a fix apparently does exist but causes the GB tower to stop working (in the same manner as propping up the connectors).

I did some searching around and found multiple threads mentioning MBC issues, here http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5804 I found this
    I think MBC5 is the culprit. I'm gonna have a look around to see if I can find a cart that uses MBC3 (Pokémon is MBC3).

That fix I mentioned probably modifies the rom to work with MCB5 but Stadium is unhappy with this.

How Mega Memory Card helps in the GB Tower I have no idea.

Also to note: The fix causes PJ64 to crash on selecting the game for GB Tower but without the fix it just goes to transfer pak not set properly error
    Everything else works on PJ64 regardless of whether the fix is applied or not.

Last edited by Snugglevixen, Jul 21, 2015