Another World Making Of...

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Another World, May 25, 2011.

May 25, 2011
  1. Another World
    OP

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    [tv]111084-286[/tv]
    Another World Making Of...

Another World (Out of this World -- US) is arguably one of the best "Homebrew" games ever published. If you have never played the game before be sure to check the links below for a GBA version that you can try for free! If you have played the game then perhaps this video is the perfect accompaniment to successfully beating the game. After watching the video be sure to read our own GBATemp Recommends issue #11 which highlighted the game.

[​IMG] Download GBA
    [​IMG] GBATemp Recommends Issue #11
    [​IMG] javascript 1 Level DEMO by Gil Megidish
    [​IMG] Another World English Homepage
    [​IMG] Eric Chahi WIKI Article
    [​IMG] Another World WIKI Article

2. Nah3DS

Member Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Argentina
    I played that game when I was 7 or 8 years old on my MegaDrive. Back then, I never saw anything like that... it was amazing.
    I didn’t knew that this game was Homebrew until I read this!!! lol That’s makes Another World even more impressive!

got to play this one more time

3. Buleste

Member Buleste Old Fart

United Kingdom
    I still have my Amiga version of this game and I've just downloaded the GBA port (I'll see what speed it runs at on my SCDS2). Does anyone know if there's an open source engine for Another World like there is for Flashback as it would be nice to see a port to the DS.

4. Another World
    OP

Colombia
    the game_config.txt is required to run it on the scds2. google "RAW another world", there should be source for one or two of the ported projects. if anyone ports this to the ds, contact me. i'd love to see a few small bugs fixed (the type of bugs you don't see until you have played the game once a day for an entire year and tried to do everything possible =P).

-another world

5. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Chahi's coming out with that game, From Dust (or something like that), right?

He seriously should bundle Another World as an unlockable. IN HD.

But yeah. The game is worth playing even if you're not a fan of it. Just the technical wonders it presented back then and the cinematic experience is definitely a feast for the eyes.

Plus the boxart is fucking awesome.

6. CannonFoddr

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    Oh f**k this - I must be getting too addicted to GBATemp....
    .. When I saw the title - I was thinking of 'Another World' ....the member.... not the game [​IMG]

Still I vaguely remember this way back.... can't remember though if I actually played it/finished it or gave up.... (was there a demo of this at one time ??? - if so maybe that's what I played) - or was that Flashback...

Dam this memory of mine - must be getting old

7. Buleste

Member Buleste Old Fart

United Kingdom
    Thanks for the info. It's almost impossible to find any of the versions of RAW sourcecode (or at least it is with google as most of the pages that did contain the sourcecode have either been taken down or the sourcecode has been deleted) however I did manage to find a version of RAW for Dingux so now I definitely cannot wait for my iSmartMM to be delivered.

EDIT: The postie must have been listening as he's just delivered my iSmart MM. Now I've just got to set it up!!!

8. mercluke

Member mercluke ‮҉

Australia
    dragon ball helped influence part of the art style, hehe

9. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    One day I'll play that game, it's one of the game I'm interested with since its release but was always afraid of the game difficulty.

I played "future wars" (Les voyageurs du temps, in French) before the developers released another world.
    But I didn't know it was the same developer.
    Same for Shadow of Darkness, it was a game I always wanted to play, without knowing he did it to.

I know the developer's name only since the new port on Gamboy advance, when I read that he helped homebrew developers to port it officially [​IMG]
    I find it very great for a developer to help other projects and being "accessible" when someone contact him.

10. CoolKill3r

Member CoolKill3r GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    Hey look, its Another World...

11. Frankenstein Tan

Member Frankenstein Tan GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It's pretty damn amazing that one guy made that game. I hope to one day do the same thing. Maybe not of this scale but make a worthwhile game nonetheless.

12. WiiUBricker

Member WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Argentina
    This game is frustrating hard to beat.

13. Dter ic

Member Dter ic ~

United Kingdom
    so that's where the name "Another World" and the avatar came from. [​IMG]

14. Schlupi

Member Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™

United States
    After devoting hours and hours I still have not beaten this game. It's such a unique experience and such an amazing game it bothers me more people don't know about it.

15. Nah3DS

Member Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Argentina
    Im the only one who found the sequel a lot easier?

16. Schlupi

Member Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™

United States
    How that I think about it... doesn't Lester look strikingly similar to Koki Kariya (Lolipop) from The World Ends With You? Or at the very least, Kariya looks like HIM... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I mean. as far as body shape, hair colour, and clothes colour; they all match.

17. Arm73

Member Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy
    So what's the best version of the game ?
    I understand the 2005 XP version has a higher resolution, the extra level, but lacks some music.
    The Amiga version had great music but lack in detail and fewer levels.
    The ST version ( which the GBA version is ported from apparently ) was even more miserly in both departments.
    So what about the SNES and Megadrive ports ?
    I'm asking because I'd like to play this game in the best way possible on the PSP.
    Should I go with the emulated SNES version, or is there some homebrew port for the PSP ?
    Surely the higher resolution of the PSP would provide a more faithful and detailed version of the game compared to the GBA , wouldn' it ?

18. Buleste

Member Buleste Old Fart

United Kingdom
    Another World GBA works beautifully with SCDS2 GBA emulator 1.21 and Game_config.txt however it does not work on the iSmartMM GBA emulator (tried with and without game_config.txt).

19. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    Strange I can't get it to work. Does it (game_config.txt) has to be in the same folders of the games?

Edit: I just find out I wasn't on the version that I downloaded. [​IMG]

20. Another World
    OP

Colombia
    <!--quoteo(post=3665739:date=May 25 2011, 11:34 AM:name=Buleste)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Buleste @ May 25 2011, 11:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=3665739"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Another World GBA works beautifully with SCDS2 GBA emulator 1.21 and Game_config.txt however it does not work on the iSmartMM GBA emulator (tried with and without game_config.txt).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

after some recent testing i'm pretty sure the ismart mm does not support the game_config.txt file.

@arm73...
    version information from giantbomb.com
    version information from the wiki article

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Chahi responded with a new level just before the arena when the alien friend rescues Lester at the end of a long dead-end corridor. Also added were more dangers, which were a guard in the prison at the bottom of the lift, more lethal steam jets added in the maze-like ventilation system, and two enemies on the bottom of the pool in the power circuit area. This ended up being the 1992 MS-DOS version, which was coded by Daniel Morais, and had the exact code wheel protection of the Amiga and ST versions. The Macintosh version programmed by "Burger" Bill Heineman features higher resolution than the MS-DOS version, but is otherwise identical.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

these things are in the gba port. the gba port does not include the limitations of the atari st port. the atari st port was decompiled, examined, updated, and then compiled for the gba by foxy softs. the extra level is one room where the alien waits for you before you enter the tank and the arena (from what i can recall -- i haven't played the original on an amiga for sometime).

-another world