1. Another World

OP Another World Emulate the Planet!
    Former Staff

Colombia
    [tv]111084-286[/tv]
    Another World Making Of...

Another World (Out of this World -- US) is arguably one of the best "Homebrew" games ever published. If you have never played the game before be sure to check the links below for a GBA version that you can try for free! If you have played the game then perhaps this video is the perfect accompaniment to successfully beating the game. After watching the video be sure to read our own GBATemp Recommends issue #11 which highlighted the game.

[​IMG] Download GBA
    [​IMG] GBATemp Recommends Issue #11
    [​IMG] javascript 1 Level DEMO by Gil Megidish
    [​IMG] Another World English Homepage
    [​IMG] Eric Chahi WIKI Article
    [​IMG] Another World WIKI Article

2. Nah3DS

Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

United States
    I played that game when I was 7 or 8 years old on my MegaDrive. Back then, I never saw anything like that... it was amazing.
    I didn’t knew that this game was Homebrew until I read this!!! lol That’s makes Another World even more impressive!

got to play this one more time

3. Buleste

Buleste Old Fart

I still have my Amiga version of this game and I've just downloaded the GBA port (I'll see what speed it runs at on my SCDS2). Does anyone know if there's an open source engine for Another World like there is for Flashback as it would be nice to see a port to the DS.

4. Another World

Former Staff

Colombia
    the game_config.txt is required to run it on the scds2. google "RAW another world", there should be source for one or two of the ported projects. if anyone ports this to the ds, contact me. i'd love to see a few small bugs fixed (the type of bugs you don't see until you have played the game once a day for an entire year and tried to do everything possible =P).

-another world

5. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Chahi's coming out with that game, From Dust (or something like that), right?

He seriously should bundle Another World as an unlockable. IN HD.

But yeah. The game is worth playing even if you're not a fan of it. Just the technical wonders it presented back then and the cinematic experience is definitely a feast for the eyes.

Plus the boxart is fucking awesome.

6. CannonFoddr

CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

Oh f**k this - I must be getting too addicted to GBATemp....
    .. When I saw the title - I was thinking of 'Another World' ....the member.... not the game [​IMG]

Still I vaguely remember this way back.... can't remember though if I actually played it/finished it or gave up.... (was there a demo of this at one time ??? - if so maybe that's what I played) - or was that Flashback...

Dam this memory of mine - must be getting old

7. Buleste

Buleste Old Fart

Thanks for the info. It's almost impossible to find any of the versions of RAW sourcecode (or at least it is with google as most of the pages that did contain the sourcecode have either been taken down or the sourcecode has been deleted) however I did manage to find a version of RAW for Dingux so now I definitely cannot wait for my iSmartMM to be delivered.

EDIT: The postie must have been listening as he's just delivered my iSmart MM. Now I've just got to set it up!!!

8. mercluke

mercluke ‮҉

dragon ball helped influence part of the art style, hehe

9. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight
    Former Staff

France
    One day I'll play that game, it's one of the game I'm interested with since its release but was always afraid of the game difficulty.

I played "future wars" (Les voyageurs du temps, in French) before the developers released another world.
    But I didn't know it was the same developer.
    Same for Shadow of Darkness, it was a game I always wanted to play, without knowing he did it to.

I know the developer's name only since the new port on Gamboy advance, when I read that he helped homebrew developers to port it officially [​IMG]
    I find it very great for a developer to help other projects and being "accessible" when someone contact him.

10. CoolKill3r

CoolKill3r GBAtemp Fan

Hey look, its Another World...

11. Frankenstein Tan

Frankenstein Tan GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It's pretty damn amazing that one guy made that game. I hope to one day do the same thing. Maybe not of this scale but make a worthwhile game nonetheless.

12. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker News Police
    Banned

Argentina
    This game is frustrating hard to beat.

13. Dter ic

so that's where the name "Another World" and the avatar came from. [​IMG]

14. Schlupi

Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™

United States
    After devoting hours and hours I still have not beaten this game. It's such a unique experience and such an amazing game it bothers me more people don't know about it.

15. Nah3DS

Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

United States
    Im the only one who found the sequel a lot easier?

16. Schlupi

Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™

United States
    How that I think about it... doesn't Lester look strikingly similar to Koki Kariya (Lolipop) from The World Ends With You? Or at the very least, Kariya looks like HIM... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I mean. as far as body shape, hair colour, and clothes colour; they all match.

17. Arm73

Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy
    So what's the best version of the game ?
    I understand the 2005 XP version has a higher resolution, the extra level, but lacks some music.
    The Amiga version had great music but lack in detail and fewer levels.
    The ST version ( which the GBA version is ported from apparently ) was even more miserly in both departments.
    So what about the SNES and Megadrive ports ?
    I'm asking because I'd like to play this game in the best way possible on the PSP.
    Should I go with the emulated SNES version, or is there some homebrew port for the PSP ?
    Surely the higher resolution of the PSP would provide a more faithful and detailed version of the game compared to the GBA , wouldn' it ?

18. Buleste

Buleste Old Fart

Another World GBA works beautifully with SCDS2 GBA emulator 1.21 and Game_config.txt however it does not work on the iSmartMM GBA emulator (tried with and without game_config.txt).

19. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

United States
    Strange I can't get it to work. Does it (game_config.txt) has to be in the same folders of the games?

Edit: I just find out I wasn't on the version that I downloaded. [​IMG]

20. Another World

Former Staff

Colombia
    <!--quoteo(post=3665739:date=May 25 2011, 11:34 AM:name=Buleste)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Buleste @ May 25 2011, 11:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=3665739"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Another World GBA works beautifully with SCDS2 GBA emulator 1.21 and Game_config.txt however it does not work on the iSmartMM GBA emulator (tried with and without game_config.txt).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

after some recent testing i'm pretty sure the ismart mm does not support the game_config.txt file.

@arm73...

Animation of the principle characters was performed through a process called rotoscoping, whereby real objects were used as models for animation work, lending a life-like and quirky feel to the movement that might seem flat and predictable if animated through simple physics models.

Rotoscoping models used by Eric ChahiThe game was originally, officially released for PC (DOS), Amiga, Atari, Macintosh, 3DO, SNES, Genesis and the Genesis CD. The Atari and Amiga versions were developed first. They are relatively shorter compared to later versions, and have a higher difficulty level due to more precise timing required of the player. The PC version was the first to introduce a whole new level in the middle to latter third of the game to help lengthen the game and strengthen the narrative.

Further obstacles were added for the Genesis and SNES console ports, as Interplay purportedly wanted players to get as much gameplay as possible for their dollar. Nintendo also had demands about certain scenes which were considered to be inappropriate for minors (which amounted to a few pixels worth of deletions during a bathhouse scene, as well as changing reddish icor, which might be interpreted as blood, to green).

The megaCD/Genesis CD version of the game included a game set in the same world, dubbed Another World 2/Out of this World 2: Heart of the Alien, which took place from the point of view of the aliens. Eric Chahi admits though that this in-house Interplay project's animation quality, and its value as a game, were sub par.

Scene from Another World 2: Heart of the AlienEric Chahi has stated that the problem with some of the early enhanced versions was that the backgrounds were a lot easier to improve than the characters themselves. In order to enhance the characters, new rotoscoping or detailed, frame-by-frame enhancement of the animations would have to be done, while the backdrops could be repainted with relative ease. Doing the latter without the former, though, would result in the characters in the foreground looking flat.

For the 3DO version, Chahi says, this is especially apparent.

The enhancement of the animations themselves could probably not be done because processors of the time could not handle so many frames of animation being very detailed, although currrently such restrictions are negligable.

In addition to the listed versions, there were also unofficial ports to both the GBA and GP32 systems.

The game was originally released for the Amiga in 1991, running at a display resolution of 320×200 pixels. This version received less play-testing than other versions, making for a less-fluid game, but the Amiga's sound capabilities afford it a high sound quality compared to contemporary ports.[5] The game was then released on the Atari ST, but hardware limitations gave it less refined graphics and sound. These versions had code wheel protection that made it difficult to use unauthorized copies, forcing the player to enter a code (series of figures) looked up from a code wheel that came with the game. The player had to turn the wheel according to the number that was requested in the screen whenever the game is loaded or he/she would have to re-load the game. Another small change between the Amiga and ST versions and the others was that Lester would yell as he grabs the vine in the first area if he wasn't being chased by the beast in these versions. This feature was omitted from most other versions.

The game was released in North America under the title Out of this World in order to avoid confusion with the popular but unrelated soap opera Another World. Coincidentally, the science fiction sitcom Out of This World aired at the same time of the game's USA-Canada release.

Reviews praised the game's graphics, sound, and gameplay, but criticized its brevity. Chahi responded with a new level just before the arena when the alien friend rescues Lester at the end of a long dead-end corridor. Also added were more dangers, which were a guard in the prison at the bottom of the lift, more lethal steam jets added in the maze-like ventilation system, and two enemies on the bottom of the pool in the power circuit area. This ended up being the 1992 MS-DOS version, which was coded by Daniel Morais, and had the exact code wheel protection of the Amiga and ST versions. The Macintosh version programmed by "Burger" Bill Heineman features higher resolution than the MS-DOS version, but is otherwise identical.

Through Interplay, the game was ported to the SNES, the Sega Mega Drive, and the Apple IIGS in 1992. The Super Nintendo and Apple IIGS ports were also programmed by "Burger" Bill Heineman and were unique in that they both used changing background musical scores throughout the game, adding a very cinematic feel to specific scenes. This differed from other ports which only had music for the opening and ending. Interplay wanted to add additional tunes by Charles Deenen. They also wanted to exchange Jean-François Freitas's music for a different soundtrack, but Chahi did not agree to the change. It was Delphine's lawyer who helped the original intro music be kept. Nintendo then requested that all scenes that feature blood, or any blood-like thing, such as the venus flytrap saliva, as well as a brief nudity scene, be redrawn. Of interest is the fact that Out of This World was the only game directly ported from the Super Nintendo over to the Apple IIGS, which shared the same 65C816 microprocessor.

The 3DO port was developed by Interplay in 1993, and features very detailed backgrounds. However, Chahi believes that this actually detracts from the game because the polygons don't fit in with this, and thus make the backgrounds look flat. The game's soundtrack was changed again, albeit without any legal troubles, due to Chahi's focus on Heart of Darkness. Some new tunes were also added, such as when Lester escapes the big pool in the first level and when he is grabbed by the guard that appears at the end. These tunes are all played from the disc. At the ending was a fragment of Heart of the Alien's intro. A separate mini game called "Stalactites" was also included in some versions of this 3DO release. In this the player pushes up Stalactites shapes falling from the top of the screen.[6] Another hidden feature of this version is the animation of Bill Heineman getting his head chopped off.[7]

The Super Nintendo, Mega Drive, 3DO and Apple IIGS ports each contain a prologue before the introduction begins, which consists of an entry that comes from Lester's diary. The Mega Drive port's prologue was different from that of the SNES and 3DO ports.

The game was also intended to be ported to the Atari Jaguar, but the project was cancelled even before development began on it.[8] However, Jagware got permission from Chahi to port it to the JagCF.

The 1994 Sega Mega-CD game Heart of the Alien, which is the game's lesser-known sequel, also has Another World included with it. This port includes an CD-audio soundtrack that was composed by Jean-François. There is a minor glitch where certain parts of the underground caverns appear flooded even when they are not.

Chahi acquired the rights to Another World's intellectual property from Delphine after they closed down in July 2004. Magic Productions then offered to port the game to mobile phones, and it was ported with help from Cyril Cogordan. Chahi saw that the game's playability could be improved, so he used his old Amiga for reprogramming certain parts of the script. He made the graphics' shading clearer in order to counter mobile phones' low resolutions. In July 2005, almost a decade and a half after it was first released on the Amiga, the game was released for mobile phone handsets using the Symbian operating system, thanks to Telcogames and developer Magic Productions. The mobile phone version is currently distributed to mobile operators (notably via Handango) by Telcogames. Magic Productions also released a Pocket PC version for Windows Mobile 5 OS or higher in QVGA (320×240 resolution).

At the 2011 Game Developers Conference, Chahi announced that an iOS port of the title will be created by DotEmu and distributed by BulkyPix.[9]

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Chahi responded with a new level just before the arena when the alien friend rescues Lester at the end of a long dead-end corridor. Also added were more dangers, which were a guard in the prison at the bottom of the lift, more lethal steam jets added in the maze-like ventilation system, and two enemies on the bottom of the pool in the power circuit area. This ended up being the 1992 MS-DOS version, which was coded by Daniel Morais, and had the exact code wheel protection of the Amiga and ST versions. The Macintosh version programmed by "Burger" Bill Heineman features higher resolution than the MS-DOS version, but is otherwise identical.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

these things are in the gba port. the gba port does not include the limitations of the atari st port. the atari st port was decompiled, examined, updated, and then compiled for the gba by foxy softs. the extra level is one room where the alien waits for you before you enter the tank and the arena (from what i can recall -- i haven't played the original on an amiga for sometime).

-another world

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Another, Making, World