Another site joins the bounty!

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Costello, Aug 16, 2008.

Aug 16, 2008
  1. Costello
    OP

Administrator Costello Headmaster

[​IMG] Another site joins the bounty!
    Welcome to NDSS.NL
    Today, the Homebrew Bounty welcomes its fourth donator website: NDSS.nl, a dutch community of NDS gamers!

[​IMG]
    NDSS will generously donate $35 every month to the best homebrew authors! Which brings up the monthly donations from websites to $315! In addition to that, you may use our ChipIn page to send your donations.
    The four websites are: GBAtemp, Dev-FR.org, Nentindo.nl and now NDSS.nl.
    We'd also like to thank our partner websites for relaying homebrew bounty news, thanks to them we are able to gather even more donations.
    HomebrewWelt.com ([​IMG]) - Radio Ninty ([​IMG]) If you wish for your website to appear in this list, contact me by PM.
    A quick note regarding the prizes: seeing as we're getting many donations, we're currently trying to find a better way to distribute the money. Once we've figured that out we'll let you know! Thanks to all our donators!

[​IMG]┬áRead more about the Homebrew Bounty
    [​IMG]┬áCheck our ChipIn page if you wish to donate!

2. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Woot, after Nentindo another great dutch site joins this great initiative [​IMG]
    Perhaps the biggest dutch scene site.

3. JPdensetsu

Member JPdensetsu GBAtemp Addict

Taiwan
    oh Ndss.nl also =O Cool !!!

4. Sp33der

Member Sp33der GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    Wow, the bounty is even bigger now xD

5. IOwnAndPwnU

Member IOwnAndPwnU GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    Wow. Looks like the Homebrew Bounty seems rewarding now ... and a good idea to make money. Just wish I knew how to program stuff.

6. pilotwangs

Member pilotwangs GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    This is fantastic,Im glad so many sites care about the homebrew scene.

7. Berthenk

Member Berthenk Epitome of Awesomeness

Netherlands
    And another Dutch site. We in holland are sure involved in the scene, now! Well anyway, wish i knew how to program in palib, or whatever language. By the way, how many languages are there to program in nds?

Edit : More bounty, hmmm...

8. SpiritBoy

Member SpiritBoy GBAtemp Regular

Israel
    This is amazing.

And to berthenk, palib is just the library. If I'm not mistaken, and I'm saying it out of memory, DS' homebrew are coded in C or C++.

9. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
  10. Berthenk

Member Berthenk Epitome of Awesomeness

Netherlands
    Thanks, that clarified (or how do you say that?) some things.

Edit : Good thing i'm reading some tutorials for C++! 'Till now i can only do a Hello World, but that's subject to change!

11. DjoeN

Member DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Belgium
    Homebrew Support is always good /

It's a good thing for the dutch community to participate in such thing (let's hope)

12. Killermech

Member Killermech Cookie Monster

Sweden
    If this goes on, homebrewers will soon be able to make a living just making homebrews [​IMG]

13. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    So wait... if first place recieves 200$, where does the rest go? Or does 1st place get teh entire bounty?

14. DjoeN

Member DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Belgium
    beter spread the money over 1st, 2nd and 3th place, this way always 3 ppl will be happy instead of 1 [​IMG]

For my part spread it over the 5 best monthly homebrew programs!
    (And let's hope it's not every month the same program/author that wins [​IMG], cause that will ruin the whole concept!)

15. Salamantis

Member Salamantis GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    I don't even think that there will be 5 entries worthy of receiving a price, or even some months 5 entries at all!

16. hakan

Member hakan Member

Netherlands
    Yeah,,, ndss joined!
    This is great, more sponser/sites more money. More people who want to win, so more Homebrew!
    Damm,,, i have got alot of inspiration, but i have no idea how to make Homebrew for nds....

17. Frederica Bernkastel

Member Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

United Kingdom
    Well with Ubisofts new "games" then homebrews mean good things to use

18. Dark Knight ez

Newcomer Dark Knight ez Member

Netherlands
    I was hesitant to reply to this thread, but in the end I decided I wanted to respond to some things.

Quotes taken from previous replies to this topic:
    Simply put, you guys are mistaken. Making homebrew takes a very long time. Even small games or applications usually take (a lot) longer than one month to create. This means that, considering how much time is spent on it, the actual "pay" you get from a bounty if you look at it as a $ per hour wage is incredibly low. This means that no, it's not a good way to earn money.
    That doesn't mean I dissaprove of the bounty though. It's great that sites pay attention to homebrew and donate/award to the creators as a sign of thanks. It's nice to know one's work is appreciated.

Having said that, I think it's too bad that people need to sign up for the competition. I can imagine that each month only a few apps/games will sign up, giving little choice as what to pick for "homebrew of the month", making it more a "homebrew of the month of the selection of homebrew signed up at gbatemp". I personally (now speaking as visitor) would have liked it better if a selection was made by gbatemp/judges of maybe the five best homebrew applications/games of the month, giving them all a review/description and getting people to reply to the topic. Considering gbatemp also has a homebrew news section, knowing which apps/games are released each month, this should be easy to do. Then the judges could after a week announce the winner, taking into consideration the replies made by the gbatemp users about each candidate homebrew.

Again, this is my personal view on the matter, and by no means meant as bitching, more as constructive feedback, which I hope you guys will at least treat it as such.

To conclude with a more positive remark, it's good to see people don't need to add splash screens to be eligible.

Regards,
    Dark Knight ez.

19. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    That's great news.

what i'm wondering is, to be eligible for the bounty, do people have to post their homebrew specifically on gbatemp (As an entry topic or something), or will the jusges etc also look around the scene for homebrew that wasnt specifically submitted to the competition?

EDIT: oh i guess it's only the first. well as Dark Knight ez maybe that is a good suggestion?

just because i wonder if there will be enough good submissions...

well maybe you can split part of the bounty (seeing as it's getting so large) and make a wii division too?

20. Sweater Fish Del

Member Sweater Fish Del GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yeah, I agree. It seems like all homebrew releases for the month should be judged, not just ones that make an official entry on these forums.

Also, maybe it would be good to alternate every month between giving the bounty to a emulator/application or a homebrew game. This way you'd have two month's worth of entries to consider for each category instead of just one and it would also make the judging easier. It's difficult to judge between a game and an application, I think, because they're so different.

Well, best to wait and see how (if) it goes for the first couple months before making too many suggestions for the future, I guess.

...word is bondage..