Hardware Another seller is trying to offer faceplates..

subcon959

@!#?@!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A little while back Sony took down the PlateStation store that was selling pre-orders for PS5 faceplates. Well now, another contender has risen and decided to take on the challenge.
4kzBJeA.jpg

It's a bit weird that they think Sony won't come after them too, but they seem to think this little note in the FAQ is enough to survive..
The products we offer are carefully designed and curated. They don't include other company logos on them. Our faceplates are designed to fit on gaming consoles without directly replicating their original design so as to not infringe on anyones design patents
Not sure what they're smoking, I give them a week tops.

EDIT: I'm not 100% sure, but I think this might be the same guy Alex that got taken down by Nintendo recently for trying to sell Etika joycon covers.

Last edited by subcon959,
Reactions: Alexander1970

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's a bit weird that they think Sony won't come after them too, but they seem to think this little note in the FAQ is enough to survive..

Not sure what they're smoking, I give them a week tops.

I haven't read the original complaint (or if I have it has zipped right out of my memory) and have not yet read anything of Nintendo's efforts but there are two main angles of attack, both of which they appear to have anticipated and are fairly readily worked around.

1) Trademark.
When sounding it out or at a glance then platestation might well sound like playstation.
I don't know if it quite reaches the could cause confusion in a typical customer (which I remind us all includes parents buying things for kids) standard most trademarks are held to but it would not be a case I want to argue and there are similar examples that might even be less clear cut.
If the name is not something that sounds like it, does not claim endorsement by nor imply it too hard then unlikely to apply here. If they had done the common dodgy vendor thing of sticking someone's logo, possibly trademarked character (many popular games have their character trademarked in addition to the game names themselves, some go far further still and will do it for a great number of fields to allow them to sell toothpaste with the character on and whatever else) then that would be another.
To what extent they would want to avoid any ties I don't know. I figure however there is a reason why many phone cases or console covers on the usual suspects for cheap tat will avoid naming consoles and supported items, or specially use phrases like will fit in descriptions rather than give a nice clear title.

2) Design patents. Various similar things exist in many places (for the UK you would want to look up design rights and registered designs, two different concepts and there are exclusions for devices that interface with others).
These are usually things like a trade colour scheme for an item, or a given shape of one (again though look up what goes for things designed to interface).
They are somewhat weaker form of IP protection than the big three most ever meet, or meet in news stories, but never the less are some that do very much see courts able to block import, sale and whatnot just as they would for patents or a boat load of dodgy DVDs should the items fall within the rather limited remit of the protections in question.

Most of the cases you see for this will be colours. Usually someone copies the colours of a popular/expensive brand but said brand had registered it and thus gets to say choose some other colours, or maybe another shape.
https://hackaday.com/2014/03/19/mul...oad-trademark-bans-yellow-multimeter-imports/

In any case there is very little any company can do to block the sale, import, production and distribution of clip on covers for things as a general concept in most jurisdictions, and frankly that is a fantastic thing for blocking such simplicity is really bad news.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's harmless modding it doesn't circumvent any security tech it just a god damn shell replacement that in itself is a anti competitive tactic something (a certain fruit) would do, should they really go down this road they're dragging themselves through the mud

Reactions: HollowGrams

HollowGrams

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's harmless modding it doesn't circumvent any security tech it just a god damn shell replacement that in itself is a anti competitive tactic something (a certain fruit) would do, should they really go down this road they're dragging themselves through the mud

Sony's fucking up. We all remember what happened the last time they fucked up.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Has Sony actually done something against these guys? The other I could write off as boring and basic trademark confusion (the whole point of trademarks really). If they went after this though then that would seem to be an aggressive stance.

Reactions: HollowGrams

HollowGrams

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has Sony actually done something against these guys? The other I could write off as boring and basic trademark confusion (the whole point of trademarks really). If they went after this though then that would seem to be an aggressive stance.

Next up you get sued by Fony for putting LEDs in your PS5.

subcon959

@!#?@!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Honestly I'm not sure why anybody would buy another faceplate, it's so easy to remove and paint yourself. For more intricate designs, there's always decals.
I would like to have the option of buying an exact replacement to mod myself and keep the original stock. I know there are removable paints but I don't really like the finish.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Sony don't care about others when protecting their business:
rootkits on cds, geohotz/flatz getting arrested, liksang...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Hello @realtimesave.