OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
When it comes to online gaming, Nintendo has always insisted it would not follow the competition but would rather wait to pursue things in its distinctive Nintendo way. In a US patent application filed in early 2010 and published last week, Nintendo is claiming dibs on the idea of a "Massively Single-Playing Online Game."

The patent gives a few examples of how such an idea could be implemented, starting with a single-player game in which the player's actions impact the characters and environment of other players enjoying the same single-player game. As the filing suggests, that would offer players some of the benefits of a traditional online world without a potential drawback inherent to massively multiplayer online games.

According to the patent application, "Those who want to play games that are more dynamic, not-based on Al and not-pre-scripted like multiplayer games, however, don't want to 'deal' with other people, appreciate the privacy it provides."

Nintendo offered more specific examples of the patent being put into use, such as a game with an economy affected by player demand for (and scarcity of) items. The company pointed to a purse in a fashion-centric game as one implementation of that, or perhaps oil in a global commodities trading game.

Another example given had one player spotting a pile of building materials in a virtual world and making a house out of it. Since the world is the same, the next player to happen along finds not a heap of lumber and tools, but a finished house (with the builder nowhere to be seen). Additionally, Nintendo's filing suggested that one player could gossip to a non-player character in the world, who would then pass it along to other players.

The application also covers one tweak to make the gameworld more traditionally multiplayer. If players have "friended" one another, they would be able to see each other and interact in the same environment.

The filing includes more eyebrow-raising information beyond the "massively single-player" concept. Specifically, it refers to an implementation of the idea on "a home video game system such as the Nintendo Wii 3D video game system, a Nintendo DS or other 3D capable interactive computer graphics display systems." While Nintendo has highly touted 3D in its 3DS handheld, the company publicly backed away from the idea of a 3D-capable successor to the Wii earlier this year, suggesting that the glasses currently required by 3D TVs would be a deal breaker for consumers.

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6328634/ninten...mentions-wii-3d

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't see how you guys can say its something good oO

they are telling you you play an mmo yust without the mmo ...
sounds like complete bullshit to me.
just think about it there are enough idiots, like the idea with the items getting priced by demand of other players, some assholes could just buy as much possible noob equips untill no newbie could ever afford such an item in the game making very bad for everybody (just an example)

they should just do normal online multiplayer like its supposed to be and if they really care so much about safety and privacy let parents enable the parental controll, man i am over 18 already i do not need nintendo to tell me that "little kids" are not supposed to see other people online -.-

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I could think of one game.. Animal Crossing
biggrin.gif
! lol

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
well, in general, i hardly had contact with anyone besides my rl friends in mmos lately, its just too much bitching and too much look at the glory that is my electrical penis.

besides a marketplace, i avoid contact as much as possible, so this sounds kinda nice

also nice for younger kids, where, as you already said it, animal crossing comes to mind.

if they do this nicely, i really dont see a problem with that, it could make for an interesting take at games.

not saying its obviously another hit for nintendo, just saying it could be interesting until proven differently

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
When you play a MMORPG, you can choose to show only your own guild chat instead of the Global.
Imagine that when you switch to show only the private channel, it also hide the players sprites not in your guild/privacy/friend list.

Like said, IF it's correctly programmed, it could benefit the player, not showing unnecessary garbaged. (like allow friend to play together, not only a single player).
Though, It's always nice to see users selling their own items, and interacting with complete strangers, seeing other player using wonderful magic you don't even have yet, building groups with total strangers to defeat an enemy you couldn't do without help (you can't be healer/mage/sword at the same time) etc.
That MMORPG feeling won't be there
frown.gif

If they can do both real MMORPG and SMORPG games, why not.
some player may prefer single experience than playing with other people. but it would be for limited games like animal crossing?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
FrozenIndignation said:
This could be great in simulating a virtual economy
biggrin.gif

Better save up for that bronze sword everyone keeps buying
yay.gif
And how would you know they are bying it, if you don't see other player using them?
It can't be appealing, you usually want what other users are using (because it's should be great if they all want it ...)

There should be a live ranking report for all items then
tongue.gif

It will need a newer way to play. It can be interesting to see how they will implement it in a functional way.

LunaWofl

Tyrant R. of ye olde Prinny Squad
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Cyan said:
FrozenIndignation said:
This could be great in simulating a virtual economy
biggrin.gif

Better save up for that bronze sword everyone keeps buying
yay.gif
And how would you know they are bying it, if you don't see other player using them?
It can't be appealing, you usually want what other users are using (because it's should be great if they all want it ...)

There should be a live ranking report for all items then
tongue.gif

It will need a newer way to play. It can be interesting to see how they will implement it in a functional way.
You could tell by the ridiculous increase on its price tag
biggrin.gif
and with that there is an incentive for people to see what this expensive sword is all about, suggesting to players it might hold some valuable or useful properties... and then they find its the weakest weapon in the game with no great properties
rofl.gif

This needs to happen
smileipb2.png
If for nothing more, to show how it should NOT be implemented
biggrin.gif

D

Deleted User

You can kiss piracy goodbye if this model becomes popular. Reminds me of the permanent internet connection needed to play scam ubisoft has got going. I bet they tack the words Final Fantasy onto one of the first titles.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty sure this is an old patent, seems like we hear about this every few months.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram plebs lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    they be like which lite firefox exe pls
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Wut.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    GM all
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    butt
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    douche
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Touché.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Push it :creep:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Talk about propaganda.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Illinois is working to ban toxic food additives that have been banned for decades in other countries; additives that can be replaced and all those countries still have Skittles and Mountain Dew. Title of the piece: GUBMINT WANTS TO TAKE AWAY YOUR CANDY
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Gee, I wonder if the author is biased?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Sounds and smells like bullshit. They don't give you cancer, and California should know that. I don't get why they stick labels that say "may or may not cause reproductive harm or cancer".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Arsenic doesn't give you cancer either.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    California has already banned those additives BTW.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Psi has been banned in the state of California.
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I am the cancer!!! lol
    Yayyy got arcade games on the Pi working lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
    Now to spend 6 months deleting all the garbage lol
    Mame should be two sets one for preservation of everything and one set for people who just want to play and enjoy the old old ganes
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Mame should be two sets one for preservation of everything and one set for people who just want...