Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Source

Remember the patent that they did that allowed gamers to skip certain parts of a game if it was too hard? It'll make its first appearance in New Mario Bros Wii...most of us know that, especially P1ngy.

Here is another, only this one makes it harder/easier for those with skill or without skill:

Npatent1.jpg

custom_1246392109513_NPatent2.jpg

QUOTE said:
A game apparatus includes: a plurality of operation controllers to be operated by separate players; obtained partial area storage locations for storing a partial area obtained by each player as an obtained partial area; a partial area choice mechanism for allowing each player to choose a partial area in turns; a single-player-mode game execution mechanism for, when a partial area is chosen, executing a single-player-mode game for a player who has chosen the partial area; and an obtained partial area adding mechanism for, depending on a result of the single-player-mode game, storing the partial area chosen by the player who has played the single-player-mode game as an obtained partial area of the players in the obtained partial area storage locations.

Kotaku explains it better but still I'm confused on some parts and this "game getting easier/harder depending on skill" sounds kinda familiar to what another new game is doing.
unsure.gif

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand this at all. All I read was "partial... partial.... partial.... partial...."

And the picture on top looks like it's from Wario Ware, but all four of the screen look exactly the same to me.
unsure.gif

Yes I remember it now, it was a game from Wario Ware where you had to move the guy to catch the baseball. And I remember that it was a fairly hard one too.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
DeMoN said:
I don't understand this at all. All I read was "partial... partial.... partial.... partial...."

And the picture on top looks like it's from Wario Ware, but all four of the screen look exactly the same to me.
unsure.gif

Yes I remember it now, it was a game from Wario Ware where you had to move the guy to catch the baseball. And I remember that it was a fairly hard one too.

Yeah when I saw the picture all I was thinking was "Multiplayer Warioware?"

Going to read the text bit now, although I probably won't understand it.

hadrianand this "game getting easier/harder depending on skill" sounds kinda familiar to what another new game is doing.
unsure.gif

I think a few games have had systems that change the difficulty depending on how skilled you are at it.

Most games let you pick a difficulty depending on how skilled you think you are though, so what's the point?

Raven Darkheart

The Radioactive Flamer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Law said:
DeMoN said:

unsure.gif

Yeah when I saw the picture all I was thinking was "Multiplayer Warioware?"

Going to read the text bit now, although I probably won't understand it.

hadrianand this "game getting easier/harder depending on skill" sounds kinda familiar to what another new game is doing.
unsure.gif

I think a few games have had systems that change the difficulty depending on how skilled you are at it.

Most games let you pick a difficulty depending on how skilled you think you are though, so what's the point?
well this way noobs cant abuse level easy and say that they pwned a game
i like this

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Raven Darkheart said:
well this way noobs cant abuse level easy and say that they pwned a game
i like this

In which case you can just say "On what, Easy mode? Stop being a faggot." and then beat them across the head with the game box.

Besides, if you need to play easy mode to beat a videogame then you should just be ashamed of yourself as a human being (edit: not you specifically, but rather the "noob" who had to "abuse level easy").

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
From what I understand.. that's a Wario Ware VS game, and each player can play the game in a different window, on it's own difficulty level..

That's no different from what Guitar Hero does..

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Maz7006 said:
sleep.gif
look where gaming used to be, and look what it is now
Hey, business is all about appealing to the lowest common denominator. The survival of video gaming depends on it. We can whine about it all we want but we're just being hypocritical since our pirating is what fucked up the video game industry so much in the first place.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I did type up a somewhat long post with a reasoned legal argument but I think it boils down to:

Wait have Nintendo just tried to patent the automatic handicap? (you say making the game harder for the better players, I say making the game easier for worse ones)

Fairly sure I can find a 16 bit era puzzle game that could invalidate that one (tetris or columns already having the multiple players and variable difficulty).

Also software patents can die.

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Remember the patent that they did that allowed gamers to skip certain parts of a game if it was too hard

Sorry, but it's NOT like that. The game won't play itself, it will only show a video how to pass that part, but you still have to complete it.

It's just a built-in walkthrough.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
skawo96 said:
QUOTE said:
Remember the patent that they did that allowed gamers to skip certain parts of a game if it was too hard

Sorry, but it's NOT like that. The game won't play itself, it will only show a video how to pass that part, but you still have to complete it.

It's just a built-in walkthrough.

Actually it does skip that part but when you save it only saves up to the part you skipped. I'll find the source in a bit.

EDIT:
Could only find info regarding how it works in New Super Mario Bros Wii:

"In New Super Mario Bros. Wii, if a player is experiencing an area of difficulty, this will allow them to clear troubled areas and take over when they're ready. And yes, we're looking into this for future games." - Shigeru Miyamoto

http://www.gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=84894

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
Hadrian said:
QUOTE said:
"In New Super Mario Bros. Wii, if a player is experiencing an area of difficulty, this will allow them to clear troubled areas and take over when they're ready. And yes, we're looking into this for future games." - Shigeru Miyamoto

http://www.gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=84894

This can be understood in few ways. It doesn't clearly say "it skips certain parts".
wink.gif

EDIT: Damn, I swear I saw a more-deep explanation somewhere. Oh well, we'll see when the game is released
wink.gif

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Its prerecorded someone else playing it... then it takes over control... thats what I gathered from p1ngy's thread...

Lol, they even have Wii, Mii, DSi and loads of other crap associated with them patented in almost every field including obscure things,
pretty funny when their worldwide known Triforce logo is actually ripped from the H?j? clan [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H?j?]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H?j? clan[/url]

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Nintendo seem to be out to patent all sorts of garbage ideas lately. So basically from what I understand this is how this will work. You have the same mini game for four players on a split screen, and depending on each players skill level the game difficulty is adjusted for each player individually. Seems pointless to me really, but I dont know, I guess its ok for party games in situations where you get a mix of gamers and non gamers together.

I wonder if Nintendo will let the game play itself for the rubbish players too?

bastads
dry.gif

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
I think it's a good idea. Having tried to introduce my sister to Meteos and absolutely thrashing her I'd like it if the game compensated for the fact that one of us has been playing for hours, without me having to estimate my own abilities (I'd worry about setting the difficulty too high). If they make it optional so you can turn it off if you want then it's all win.

Do other games already do this in multiplayer, I don't know. But I have seen something similar in single player before; Devil May Cry repeatedly tells me I'm crap and keeps asking if I want to switch to easy mode!
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    @SylverReZ Never heard of tiger crust. What is it?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Its known as tiger bread, also known as dutch crust.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    It's fuggin gooooood
    +1
    I mean. Whats different about it?
    Never even seen a tiger crust pizza in any stores around here. Walmart, Cub, or otherwise.
    Must be a regional thing.
    Gonna smoke this bowl then go get kitties ashes. <3
    Last thing I told her is how much I love her, and that Im not leaving her there forever and I promise to come back and take her back home with me.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    halllo
  • Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit:
    hello, anyone is able to create cheat patches for cemu? i have a simple request if anyone can help
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Rest in piece. Hope she rests well, she'll always love you too. :sad:
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @RedColoredStars, Rest in piece. Hope she rests well, she'll always love you too. :sad: