• Sounds confusing like the Wii U

Votes: 72 31.4%

• Total voters

pcwizard7

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
of course, the tega x1 or x1+ can do 4k but this is 4k video if the switch had a screen 27in+ screen and more entertainment apps you would see 4k video on the current switch but 4k gaming even upscaling is impossible on current hardware

as it struggles to get a lot games to get native 1080p and if Nintendo wants 3ed party to continue and get more current titles they need a more powerful console as its already hit the wall on what they pull from the hardware,

now there have been great developments in mobile hardware to get the performance that is closer than ever to desktop performance so this next switch will be a considerable jump. will it be on par with the Xbox series x or ps5, no but it will be close enough to get more third party games and with the install base we should see more recent games as well

HideoKojima

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Compared to Sony and Xbox after 3yrs they had a bump ,but looking at what Xbox is thinking they seem to be going with multiple system versions to cater to all types of gamers ,but for Nintendo being a hybrid now you're never going to get more than 1080p in handheld because it's just a waste with what the eye can only see , so they will probably go the apple route of better screen, efficiency and storage until Streaming is the Norm which should be in the next 10yrs but knowing Nintendo they will still try and cater to low tech world
Yeah, I mean as long as I can play newer games with my then olderswitch console then I'll be good,but if after 2 years of buying my console I'll have to buy a new one then it's a rip-off

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While a fully clocked tegra box is technically feasible I'm doubting it has a place in the market now. I can't see Nintendo selling a boxed 4K switch that doesn't somehow cost more than the hybrid one, and then its going to compare very poorly with xbonex/PS4pro let alone next gen consoles. They need to situate any box-based solution to 4K as an upgrade rather than a replacement.

So now what about an upgraded dock that pushes 4K somehow? That would put it firmly in the "upgrade" category, and they can set the price to make a good profit while still being far more affordable for existing Switch owners than a true 4K console. There's also the fact that the official dock as a standalone seems to have disappeared, as if they are creating a demand for some product they want to sell later. However I think some more technically minded people have ruled out using the current Switch's USB-C port as an eGPU interface at this point, as it just doesn't have the data throughput speeds to do this outside of the chip for raw video output.

That said, I don't put it past Nintendo to come up with a very cheap solution that is basically one step above an m-classic, i.e. a video upscaler. It just takes the typical video output from the Switch and does its own upscaling to 4K, maybe even 4K HDR via tone mapping. Nintendo could get one step ahead here by changing the Switch's base output resolution to match downressed games, like for example, have Doom pass a 720p image to the 4K dock instead of the current 720p upscaled to 1080p. That would of course set up a better upscale, and a better one than you can get using your current Switch in a 4K TV. Assuming they get devs to write patches, they could even set it up so that 2D/HUD elements are drawn by the dock on top of the 3D rendered by the Switch. So with our doom example, the switch would just pass a 720p screen of the pure game world, and then the dock would upscale that image to 4K and then add sharp 4K text, menus, and HUD on top of it, and the data to support that could be well within the limits of USB-C.

I don't know how feasible it is to go after dynamic resolution, like whether a sufficiently smart dock could keep up with the Switch rapidly changing output resolution to maximize the upscaling ability, but they could at least pick something more stable like say 720p, or better yet at least pass data to the dock telling it the rendered resolution prior to upscaling to 720p/1080p that will inform the dock's upscaler algorithm. These kinds of things would give this dock a major leg up over an mClassic and would be enough to splash around the 4K buzzwords while coming up substantially cheaper than a 4K console that also requires far less work from devs than implementing 4Kish texture downloads and the like.

Last edited by Rahkeesh,
Reactions: Teletron1

1NOOB

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
While a fully clocked tegra box is technically feasible I'm doubting it has a place in the market now. I can't see Nintendo selling a boxed 4K switch that doesn't somehow cost more than the hybrid one, and then its going to compare very poorly with xbonex/PS4pro let alone next gen consoles. They need to situate any box-based solution to 4K as an upgrade rather than a replacement.

So now what about an upgraded dock that pushes 4K somehow? That would put it firmly in the "upgrade" category, and they can set the price to make a good profit while still being far more affordable for existing Switch owners than a true 4K console. There's also the fact that the official dock as a standalone seems to have disappeared, as if they are creating a demand for some product they want to sell later. However I think some more technically minded people have ruled out using the current Switch's USB-C port as an eGPU interface at this point, as it just doesn't have the data throughput speeds to do this outside of the chip for raw video output.

That said, I don't put it past Nintendo to come up with a very cheap solution that is basically one step above an m-classic, i.e. a video upscaler. It just takes the typical video output from the Switch and does its own upscaling to 4K, maybe even 4K HDR via tone mapping. Nintendo could get one step ahead here by changing the Switch's base output resolution to match downressed games, like for example, have Doom pass a 720p image to the 4K dock instead of the current 720p upscaled to 1080p. That would of course set up a better upscale, and a better one than you can get using your current Switch in a 4K TV. Assuming they get devs to write patches, they could even set it up so that 2D/HUD elements are drawn by the dock on top of the 3D rendered by the Switch. So with our doom example, the switch would just pass a 720p screen of the pure game world, and then the dock would upscale that image to 4K and then add sharp 4K text, menus, and HUD on top of it, and the data to support that could be well within the limits of USB-C.

I don't know how feasible it is to go after dynamic resolution, like whether a sufficiently smart dock could keep up with the Switch rapidly changing output resolution to maximize the upscaling ability, but they could at least pick something more stable like say 720p, or better yet at least pass data to the dock telling it the rendered resolution prior to upscaling to 720p/1080p that will inform the dock's upscaler algorithm. These kinds of things would give this dock a major leg up over an mClassic and would be enough to splash around the 4K buzzwords while coming up substantially cheaper than a 4K console that also requires far less work from devs than implementing 4Kish texture downloads and the like.
i still think a dock that act as a console with the upscaled feature , its own gpu , its own cpu (i dont see why stay with nvidia with amd doing low power comsumption chip) add the Hdmi module for switch lite , so you still get the downgraded version on switch on the go but trigger the console if you dock it , with the additional stuff on the console.

Reactions: Teletron1

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Just give me a Switch Pro XL already, with adult-sized joy-cons and buttons. And maybe some good pro controller joysticks. Haven't had any issues with my Pro controller.

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
While I do use my Switch as a home console rather than a handheld (because games play and look worse on the go, and because the JoyCons are awful controllers), I'm not interested in any new models until the Atmosphere/KOSMOS guys find a weakpoint and develop an exploit - giving up local save backups, FTPD and GZDoom is not an option. Even after exploits are found and homebrew can be used on new consoles, I'd still use my Wii U Pro Controller because the official Switch ones are inferior (hint: analog sticks should be aligned!).

As for Breath of the Wild 2...just no. I got the first one preowned for Christmas (no way in hell I'm giving Nintendo any money for this game), and I only got four hours in before quitting. Even after modding out stamina and weapon/shield fragility (two horrible, frustrating mechanics that fail to add anything to the experience, which is why Witcher 3 and Assassin's Creed never used them), the game just lacked the same focus and interesting gameplay other Legend of Zelda titles (such as Twilight Princess, The Wind Waker, Link's Awakening and A Link Between Worlds) have. Having to hoard resources and do vague sidequests and traverse a huge, empty map with no memorable locations is not what I find enjoyable.
So BotW2 is getting a pass from me.

Last edited by AkiraKurusu,
Reactions: andyhappypants

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
While I do use my Switch as a home console rather than a handheld (because games play and look worse on the go, and because the JoyCons are awful controllers), I'm not interested in any new models until the Atmosphere/KOSMOS guys find a weakpoint and develop an exploit - giving up local save backups, FTPD and GZDoom is not an option. Even after exploits are found and homebrew can be used on new consoles, I'd still use my Wii U Pro Controller because the official Switch ones are inferior (hint: analog sticks should be aligned!).

As for Breath of the Wild 2...just no. I got the first one preowned for Christmas (no way in hell I'm giving Nintendo any money for this game), and I only got four hours in before quitting. Even after modding out stamina and weapon/shield fragility (two horrible, frustrating mechanics that fail to add anything to the experience, which is why Witcher 3 and Assassin's Creed never used them), the game just lacked the same focus and interesting gameplay other Legend of Zelda titles (such as Twilight Princess, The Wind Waker, Link's Awakening and A Link Between Worlds) have. Having to hoard resources and do vague sidequests and traverse a huge, empty map with no memorable locations is not what I find enjoyable.
So BotW2 is getting a pass from me.
All the mechanics in the game do ther job to make the game challenging - Just admit you got lost somewher and didn't kno what to do next - restart the game and follow a walkthrough

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
All the mechanics in the game do ther job to make the game challenging - Just admit you got lost somewher and didn't kno what to do next - restart the game and follow a walkthrough
Don't want "challenging"; I want "fun". Frustrating mechanics are not "fun".
I also didn't "get lost" (the map's pretty helpful in that regard), I just ran out of interest in exploring more, and doing the same damn things for hours on end. Just isn't a Legend of Zelda game, y'know? Could've been any bland and boring survival open-world game, with Legend of Zelda spray-painted on.

Reactions: andyhappypants

Teletron1

Space Tech Engineer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't want "challenging"; I want "fun". Frustrating mechanics are not "fun".
I also didn't "get lost" (the map's pretty helpful in that regard), I just ran out of interest in exploring more, and doing the same damn things for hours on end. Just isn't a Legend of Zelda game, y'know? Could've been any bland and boring survival open-world game, with Legend of Zelda spray-painted on.
I thought BOTW was amazing except for the weapon breaking mechanics exploring the game was one of the best parts of it because it gave it back it's rpg feel.

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I thought BOTW was amazing except for the weapon breaking mechanics exploring the game was one of the best parts of it because it gave it back it's rpg feel.
My first Legend of Zelda game was Ocarina of Time 3D, and after I grew to love it (nowadays I find the child Link beginning too dull to play again) I went and bought Twilight Princess Wii, The Wind Waker, Skyward Sword (ugh, horrible), Link's Awakening DX (3DS Virtual Console), A Link Between Worlds, Twilight Princess HD, The Wind Waker HD, and Majora's Mask 3D, and this year in 2019 Link's Awakening (Switch).

All those games, even the utter catastrophe that was Skyward Sword, had focus, had a story to tell, had a world with memorable locations. All those games, except for the absolute disaster known as Skyward Sword, had fun gameplay with no bullshit forced in, leading to me having an enjoyable time exploring each incarnation of Hyrule, fighting foes and overcoming dungeons and caves and castles.

I know that Breath of the Wild - or, as I like to call it (since I'm a smart-ass), Halitosis of the Wild - was made to relate to those who grew up with Zelda 1 on the NES, but I didn't. I don't see any value these days in either Zelda 1 or Breath of the Wild, and the 9s, 10s, and even Jim Sterling's 7 seem far too high for this banality. Doesn't help that open-world games are a dime-a-dozen these days, so the shift to that isn't as impressive as it would've been.

I'm still waiting for the next ACTUAL Legend of Zelda game, since Link's Awakening (Switch) is just a (fantastic) remake, not a brand-new experience. The last one was, what, A Link Between Worlds, back in 2013? Since Tri-Force Heroes doesn't count, as it's a multiplayer game with a tacked-on singleplayer mode? Despicable, making fans of "modern" Legend of Zelda wait this long for something worthwhile. Breath of the Wild 2 should've been conceptualised and developed some time after another "modern" game, not before.

Last edited by AkiraKurusu,

Teletron1

Space Tech Engineer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sometimes you just need to come back to a game after a period of time this game has tons of artistic aspects that you never got from Nintendo, as a person who did grow up with Zelda 1 this game was still missing key elements but it's tough to get mad because in their vision this Hyrule was decimated and no one really survived so Link is kind of left alone in putting the peices together and once he thinks it's over he is just learning that the fun has just begun as Zelda is sure to explain in Botw Chapter 2

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
botw couldn't be further from a zelda game. it's a big empty world with hardly anything to do. nearly all of the shrines puzzles can be cheesed with runes and jump shield tricks. and the actual dungeons (if you call them that) are mediocre. if botw2 is going to be the shit different bucket i won't even be bothering with it.

Last edited by Bladexdsl,
Reactions: AkiraKurusu

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs