Apple [Another] iDevice rant

cracker

Nyah!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why oh why won't Apple let you unlock devices via an iTunes account?! This is truly stupid. I wonder how many people have lost tons of data over this. My niece locked with an accidental passcode (because it doesn't ask for it to be verified) and ended up getting it locked indefinitely. Since she is young, she didn't know enough to enable cloud synching and lost most of her pics/vids. Even allowing a sync to an authorized computer when locked should be a no-brainer!

Also, iTunes is a piece of crap and would get stuck installing on one of my computers and wouldn't restore from the authorized computer. If they are going to sell a cross-platform compatible device then they should make sure the software will actually work. :P

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iTunes being a pain in the ass was the main reason why I switched to Android in the first place. Surprisingly, there are alot of people that get along just fine without having to use iTunes at all. The majority of people at my school have never even plugged their iPhones into a computer of any sorts other than to charge them.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
iphone, ipod, ipad, iwatch, itune... iPaid :nayps3:

In a serious note, I got a better android phone for a fraction of the price I would have paid for an iphone.
Also, itune is pain in the ass. It takes computers ressources for absolutely no reasons, convert all my music even if I didn't want to, and eat all my drive free space for "backups".

cracker

Nyah!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iTunes being a pain in the ass was the main reason why I switched to Android in the first place. Surprisingly, there are alot of people that get along just fine without having to use iTunes at all. The majority of people at my school have never even plugged their iPhones into a computer of any sorts other than to charge them.

Yeah, Android devices FTW (rooted or not).

Were the phones jailbroken? Even with cloud syncs I don't know how people manage on such limited smartphones. I guess they probably just don't care that they can't properly import downloaded music, run homebrew apps, have limited customization, etc. :rolleyes:

iphone, ipod, ipad, iwatch, itune... iPaid :nayps3:

In a serious note, I got a better android phone for a fraction of the price I would have paid for an iphone.
Also, itune is pain in the ass. It takes computers ressources for absolutely no reasons, convert all my music even if I didn't want to, and eat all my drive free space for "backups".

Not to mention it syncs everything non-DRM across different devices when used under the same user. The big problem is only being allowed 3 (iirc) authorized computers and you have to unauthorized the device via iTunes. If they go tits up (or possibly even just are formatted) then you lose a way to sync locally.

Reactions: nxwing and VinsCool

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Were the phones jailbroken? Even with cloud syncs I don't know how people manage on such limited smartphones. I guess they probably just don't care that they can't properly import downloaded music, run homebrew apps, have limited customization, etc. :rolleyes:

Not many people know what jailbreaking even does, let alone have tried it. Even a lot of android users in my school haven't bothered trying out another launcher other than their stock ones, hell, there are some that haven't even changed their wallpapers since they got it out of the box. Of course, there are those who are a bit more tech savvy and actually know what they can do with their devices, but I don't think that many people even care.

nxwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
The only iDevice I ever have is the iPhone 3GS passed down from my parents. I only use it as a back-up in case my Android dies or something.
The only reason I have iTunes os for syncing the music, I could use my Android for that but I'd rather use and old device with 32 GB for my music.

cracker

Nyah!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess I should add that I have an opt 2G 32GB so I'm not just hating on Apple for the sake of it. But honestly, the iOS and iTunes version numbers have changed a lot but most things have stayed the same. cydia on my 2G still beats the hell outta the current iOS. Only reason I keep it around is it cost so damn much and I couldn't get much return for it and it did have a great version of Pocket Tanks. :lol:

Reactions: nxwing

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Jist install PwnTunes on your device and you will never have to use iTunes again. It allows you to drag and drop files just like any USB device. On ANY COMPUTER WITHOUT needing to install anything.

eosia

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The fact that you or someone else can't use it doesn't entirely mean that its useless software. iCloud is a great thing and really easy to use, so you shouls try memorizing a secure password and use it on all of your idevices.

nxwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Jist install PwnTunes on your device and you will never have to use iTunes again. It allows you to drag and drop files just like any USB device. On ANY COMPUTER WITHOUT needing to install anything.

The downside is you need to be jailbroken and that'll void you warranty and it also isn't free.

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
The downside is you need to be jailbroken and that'll void you warranty and it also isn't free.

Jailbreaking is not really a downside.
Restoring will give you your warranty back because it wipes all traces of jailbreak.
PwnTunes can be free, if you know where to look.

nxwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
There are ways to get paid stuff free from Cydia.
Jailbreaking is not really a downside.
Restoring will give you your warranty back because it wipes all traces of jailbreak.
PwnTunes can be free, if you know where to look.
Just in case you didn't know, I've tried looking for it and the results are the same. There is no known repo that hosts PwnTunes for free. Probably because it has a license thingy.

GhostLatte

GBAtemp's Official Van Master™
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just in case you didn't know, I've tried looking for it and the results are the same. There is no known repo that hosts PwnTunes for free. Probably because it has a license thingy.
I have the repo that does have the latest version for free ;)

Reactions: nxwing

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night