Hacking another goodie for your wii hacking bag

giantpune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
recently i had to go through the trouble of softmodding a virgin 4.2 wii and i realised how many different programs are needed to get the job done. heres one more step to take out of the process. DOP-IOS mod v9 has already added in wiipower's stuff for getting the trucha bug back into the wii.

whats different?
i have added to that the stuff from ATD to uninstall titles. in this version, it lets you uninstall the stubs. not only the 4.2 stubs, but i put the whole list thas was already in DOP-IOS. there are a total of 13 listed. i cant vouch for the accuracy of their list as i didnt feel like trying each IOS out to see if it really was a stub. i did go down and let it remove all of them from my 4.2u wii. i was able to start the system menu just fine (and freed up 2 blocks on the wii). but as i have nothing in place blocking disc updates, "rubik's world" wanted me to use it to update. after i reinstalled those stubs, the game no longer wanted to update. so just keep that in mind before you play with this.

also different in this one is the stuff that writes to the sd card. now, when you go to install a title, if it has to be downloaded, it will be saved on the sd card. next time you go to install a title, the sd card is checked and if the stuff is there, you dont need to get it from online. this was already in patchmii, but somewhere over time the functionality got broken in this code, so i just revived it.

and lastly, the title screen is green and i put a gp after the name. i did that to make it easier to tell this from the one that it was based from.

http://www.mediafire.com/?mjznw2elnin

Det1re

det1re.de
Trophies
Website
det1re.de
XP
Country
Gambia, The
giantpune said:
i was able to start the system menu just fine (and freed up 2 blocks on the wii).

This is impossible. The Wii has protected 1959 blocks of the NAND for essential system files, such as the System Menu, all IOS' and even those preinstalled and hidden channels (Mii channel, Shopping channel, Rgnsel, Eula). That's why the Wii has only 2137 blocks available when it comes fresh out of the factory. By the way, this is, why cIOS' seem to don't use any space.

So if it free'd up 2 blocks I don't want to know, what DOP-IOS has corrupted on your side; but since you are still able to use your Wii it should be OK.

[correct me, if I'm wrong!]

giantpune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i had 2134 free. then i deleted stubs. then i had 2136 free. thats 2.
smile.gif

BenieUK

Trophies
XP
Country
When dowgrading IOS15 i always get an error when it gets to installing IOS36.. The error is:

FAT error, press any button to exit
Error reading IOS into memory
Installing fakesign accepting IOS failed. Exiting...

giantpune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok. i changed the link in the first post. i have just tried downgrade 15 and 36 from SD and USB. it cant load the 36 wad from USB but it couldnt do that in the version i was tweaking, either.

after downgrading from SD or USB, it still is able to access the SD card while downloading from NUS. so it seems to all work.

Helsionium

Alpha and Omega
Trophies
Website
www.helsionium.eu
XP
Country
Austria
Det1re said:
giantpune said:
i was able to start the system menu just fine (and freed up 2 blocks on the wii).

This is impossible. The Wii has protected 1959 blocks of the NAND for essential system files, such as the System Menu, all IOS' and even those preinstalled and hidden channels (Mii channel, Shopping channel, Rgnsel, Eula). That's why the Wii has only 2137 blocks available when it comes fresh out of the factory. By the way, this is, why cIOS' seem to don't use any space.

So if it free'd up 2 blocks I don't want to know, what DOP-IOS has corrupted on your side; but since you are still able to use your Wii it should be OK.

[correct me, if I'm wrong!]

I believe that tickets and/or TMDs don't get stored in that reserved area, so they actually take up some space. ATD removes those and indeed frees up some space in the process. This is at most one block per title, however. I first noticed that when I was installing lots of wads, and I had a few blocks less than I had before after moving the channels to the SD card.

Det1re

det1re.de
Trophies
Website
det1re.de
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Helsionium said:
I believe that tickets and/or TMDs don't get stored in that reserved area, so they actually take up some space. ATD removes those and indeed frees up some space in the process. This is at most one block per title, however. I first noticed that when I was installing lots of wads, and I had a few blocks less than I had before after moving the channels to the SD card.

Sounds logical. However... this is stupid. Nintendo reserves almost 250 MiB for essential system files and then there is no space for a bunch of TMDs and TIKs? What a mess.

giantpune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah. if you really want the source i can give it out. but theres nothing to special there. i gave my changes to fix the sd stuff to the dop mod guys already and the stub removal is just the uninstall stuff from ATD. i guess in a future update the sd stuff will be in dop ios.

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
so this will

restore the trucha bug

delete the stub IOS's

patch the System menu IOS?

awesome.
all it needs now is it be able to install cIOS
biggrin.gif

giantpune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cIOS installing wouldnt be hard to add to it. but i dont thing thats where they were going with the original project. the main reason for the dop ios mod in the first place was to allow it to be used without IOS 249.

but since this and hermes' installer both use patchmii, its just another copy/paste for somebody to put that in. and it has wad install functions that it uses for the downgrading, so it could use a wad of wanin's. but ill leave that for somebody else to do.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
longtom1 said:
DIP patching and then no need for cIOSCORP anymore

I Second that. Adding different dip versions to whatever IOS we wanted to would be awesome! Not that I'm against cIOSCORP but this project will possibly have the source code released and I'd really like to see how this DIP module patching is done.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Excellent mod Giantpune.

However, I've tested this on a virgin system and there is one problem. IOS36 can not be used for stub deletion unless it is patched with NAND Permissions. This mod, along with Arikado's mod do not patch NAND Permissions so they can not yet be used as an (almost) all-in-one softmodding solution. Add the NAND permissions patch to the TBR steps and you've effectively removed the need for both TBR and ATD for softmodding.

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Since giantpune can now officially contribute to the project source, I'm asking here...what about an Update-Function? Since everything is hardcoded, this would actually make some sense, in my opinion...

I'll open an Issue if I'm not too lazy...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol