another fool with a soldering question

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by acillatem214, Mar 8, 2007.

Mar 8, 2007
  1. acillatem214
    OP

Newcomer acillatem214 Advanced Member

United States
    I haven't soldered anything in years. But I dug up my old 25W soldering iron from high school to prepare for my upcoming wiikey installation. I have a question for those who have already installed a mod chip in their wii about the size of the points that the wires need to be soldered to. The following is a picture of a old soundcard I practiced on. Please point out which joint (is that the right word?) is closest in size of the ones I will have to work with on the wii.

thanks

2. xeorix

Newcomer xeorix Member

Sweden
    It is very hard to tell by a picture but my guess is 4x #5 and 2x #3

3. modmanwii

Member modmanwii GBAtemp Regular

United States
    they may be the same size, but imaging them all right next to each other... thats the problem,not the size

4. lookout

Member lookout GBAtemp Board Room

United Kingdom
    it number 5.

5. instigator

Newcomer instigator Advanced Member

Canada
    Yep, #5. But imagine them really close together. Like a millimeter or so apart. Plan your wire routing well because that middle pad (with the Wiikey install) is the trickiest to get at without bridging.

6. alucard77

Member alucard77 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Are you serious, #5 is the size of a tip of a very very very small pin. I would say it's like the a period at the end of this sentence. Is that really the solder size?!?

7. acillatem214
    OP

Newcomer acillatem214 Advanced Member

United States
    i managed to get the hang of soldering #5 sized joints. maybe its easy only because i really dont care about this modem (not soundcard).

i soldered a bunch of wires to that group of joints right under the nickel. im going to guess thats what the wii is going to be like

8. instigator

Newcomer instigator Advanced Member

Canada
    Well I practiced on an old videocard and was relieved to find that the Wii's points ended up being a bit bigger. It is good practice to work on the smallest you can find.

9. TheVirus

Member TheVirus GBAtemp Fan

Uganda
    Your wire looks huge. Might want to invest in some 30 gauge wire.

10. Hooya

Member Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    The #5 points aren't all that small. I sized up your picture against a real nickel on my computer screen and I can tell you that soldering to points that small isn't a big deal if you have tiny wire, solder and a sharp point soldering iron. I'm even a noob at this stuff.
    I haven't seen for myself, but I guess the points for the PS2 are even worse. Flip that sound card over and look at the size of the pins leading out from a chip. Now that's small.