Another EZ Flash post! How to use/tuts...

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by RoboClover, Apr 19, 2008.

Apr 19, 2008
  1. RoboClover
    OP

Newcomer RoboClover Advanced Member

United States
    So i asked for some other sites from which i could get ahold of the EZ Flash IV. I gotta say, the response was impressive considering it was my first post; this is a great site. So i found an awesome site from one of the replys and am now anxiously awaiting my EZ Flash and the card. I'm not too worried about compatability and all that; if it does all the things ive heard it does from reviews then i'll be extremely satisfied until i get ahold of a NDS. [​IMG] So i was just wondering about setup and where to put what files, what files to create, converters and all that noise (not terribly familiar with EVERYTHING as far as that sort of thing goes, so excrutiatingly detailed explanation would just fine =D). If anyone could give me a quick rundown of all that or point me towards a nice tutorial on setup and everything with the EZ Flash (i hear it doesnt come with a manual or anything =/) i'd be extremely appreciative!

Thanks again!

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
  3. Jack-Of-Trades

Member Jack-Of-Trades GBAtemp Fan

United States
  4. RoboClover
    OP

United States
    ahh does that mean use the RESET kernel in place of the ezfla_up.bin file that the tut specifies? also, i saw it says i cant run homebrew on the EZ IV... thats not what allows it to run mp3s and vids is it? That one one of the main reasons i bought it in the first place. If not, the tut doesnt say anything about running mp3s and vids on there...i've seen it done so i was wondering if there was additional programs i'd need to get as they're not mentioned in the tut...thanks man, please excuse my remedial gba modding knowledge; this is my first time with any stuff like this, aside from what ive read about psp modding

Oh, just to clarify this is for a GBA SP use only, i'll be upgrading to the DS in the future but not anytime soon

Thanks again guys

5. RoboClover
    OP

United States
    oh, and dumb question... i have a rough idea what flashing means but not exactly... something like loading roms from a cart or modchip? or is it something else entirely? i feel like i should know; i see it a lot, so if anyone could clarify i'd appreciate it. any bonus terms i might need to know would be welcome as well!

6. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    Near enough all homebrew I have ever posted here has been running on an EZ4 so you can definitely run homebrew on it. GBA homebrew will come in .gba or .bin format which you should send through EZ4 Client like any other rom (I added some homebrew to the naming list but not all can be added to the list so you may have to give it a name in the box in the top left corner).
    There are only one or two DLDI using GBA homebrew programs (for DS is the standard near enough everyone uses) but I included the best DLDI patch available and a few tools to patch as well in my bundles (you may also want to search for DLDIwiki).

Yes use the RESET kernel (it fixes a problem with GBA roms in DS mode, DS roms will be fine without it).

Video and audio on the GBA. Not so hot but it can be done:
    http://ezflash.sosuke.com/wiki/index.php?title=Multimedia (this page is horrendously out of date for DS stuff but the GBA stuff is good).
    I would look towards the DS though for multimedia.

7. RoboClover
    OP

United States
    Hmm...ok ive got the EZ up and running for the most part; it's playing GBA games, but the music is a different story. The wiki page doesnt have anything on how to put the music players it suggests on the card so it can be run. i tried pulling music player advance on there and i've tried just sending it through ez client but i get gibberish and then the program crashes. i just click and dragged it on there and it opened but didnt go past the gameboy screen (no nintendo on there though, thought that was strange). Ive heard that a GBA version of moonshell will play mp3s as well...any advice on setting that up?

8. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    Actually the music player should be able to be copied directly to the ?SD (EZClient is mainly there for saves). What you are seeing though is the result of a bad header, you could try a soft reset (L and A to launch if memory serves) but I would suggest fixing the header with GBATA: http://www.gbadat.altervista.org/tools.htm

There is not GBA version of moonshell, there is an app called pogoshell that has some audio capabilities but it was geared towards far older carts (f2a and so on) so I doubt you will get it working.

9. RoboClover
    OP

United States
    fixed the header, opened it in BATA and clicked fix header but on the EZ it still opens the same way. shows gameboy and stays there with no nintendo. the under the header viewer it says fixed: BAD. thought that was strange. Did i do it wrong?

10. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Question: how large is the *.gba file you're trying to flash onto it? Music takes up space quickly, and it's easy to go over the 32 MB limit.

Also, did you test the MusicPlayerAdvance compilation in VBA before attempting to flash it to your card?

I'd recommend looking into GBA GSM Player. MPA was just too cumbersome to work with in my opinion.

Upon reading that wiki article, I couldn't help but notice they were using an outdated version of METEO for video conversion. The newer version isn't all that much better, and it's not as fully translated (so you need to be familiar with the older version in order to get anything done) but it encodes more videos and has fast-forward capabilities, plus it can apply additional brightness while converting which is nice. A copy can be downloaded from this archive.org mirror of a page that no longer exists - http://web.archive.org/web/20070518223830/...php?p=utilities