Another day of protests

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by FrozenOne23, Nov 26, 2007.

Nov 26, 2007

Another day of protests by FrozenOne23 at 6:07 PM (4,143 Views / 0 Likes) 44 replies

1. FrozenOne23
    OP

Member FrozenOne23 GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Well, today there were protests again in the Netherlands of a bunch of stupid kids (because that's what they are), whining about the 1040 hours that they have to go to school (well, at least they want to make it 1040 hours in one year). Just look at it yourself:

http://www.geenstijl.tv/2007/11/rutger_en_...e_rotschol.html

The video says enough, it's not a problem if you can't understand what they saying.

What do you think of this?

Greets from FrozenOne23

2. laminaatplaat

Member laminaatplaat GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I Think they should be able to protest against the "1040 hours" and the museumplein in Amsterdam was a good place for something like that. But with every big demonstration you know that there will be a few hooligans who will get things stird up... So I dont understand that the police and the ME (mobile unit, special force of the police) werent expeting this and werent prepared for this. And for the people that whine that they got hit with a police-stick, if you want to protest like that, live with the consequences of your actions!

For the "yo nigga nigga girl" in the movie stfu go to school you still got alot to learn!

EDIT: ofcourse it is not just Amsterdam, there are strikes in alot of schools in the netherlands..

3. xcalibur

Member xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

United Kingdom
    1040?
    when i used to go to school in holland they counted by the week, which used to be 28 hours for me but i hadnt even reached vwo yet(which i was aiming for). i was still in the 2 years before that.

1040... i guess its not as bad as it sounds but it would mean the end of the flexibility the irregular timetable used to give us(i would image)
    my timetable used to be something like 2 full days, 2 less full ones and on friday i was out by 12.

EDIT: im looking through the vid right now and i really dont get it...
    since when didnt kids want less school hours?
    the government shouldve just adjusted the timetable without telling the public, then they wouldnt have had riots like in this video...
    sure, kids would complain but thats all we'd do.
    no one would go out of their way to protest but i might just be saying this because i really dont know what that 1040 means.
    how many hours would that be every week?.
    if mavo students end up getting 28-30 hours a week then i agree that its just too much and kids really should go out and protest

and why the hell is the police so rough?

EDIT2: the fucking whiny little runts...
    all they seem to be getting is one hour extra per week...
    and i get why the police is so rough, they leave the main site and go vandalize the surrounding area

4. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    To punish them it should be increased to 10400, so they all fail because no one can learn 29 hours a day.

Without time machienes

5. Javacat

Member Javacat GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    My brains broken at the minute, but how many hours a day does that mean they will be in school for? In the UK they usually start around 9am and finish at 3.30pm, with an hours lunch break and something like a 30 minute break in the morning (I can't remember, too long since I was there [​IMG])

6. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    assuming no weekends or vacations. 2.8 hours a day.

7. Rammoth

Member Rammoth GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I saw a group of students today on my way to the station. Makes you sympathize for the governments choice to add extra hours.

Besides, people who finish their high school seem to become more and more retarded by the day over here.

I wouldn't be surprised if 95% of these 'demonstrating kids' doesn't even know what they're demonstrating for. They just want a day off and make a mess of the town.

Point of the story: Looking at the news and video's, I can only conclude that these kids apparently don't know how to spend their 'free time' properly and should be sent directly back to school with a few extra hours added.

8. Opium

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Australia
    How many hours a day is that?

In Australia school kids do 6 hours a day, 5 days a week. A good 30 hour week.

9. Rammoth

Member Rammoth GBAtemp Fan

United States
    lol, it's been 1040 for quite a while already, but they found out a lot of schools don't make it, due to miscalculating on some factors like school vacations and stuff. Besides, the 1040 hours is only for the first 2 years of school or something.

It comes down to less than 5 hours a day on average, calculating from 1040, though the norm is between 850 and 1040 actually, so it's probably even less. Whiners.

10. xcalibur

United Kingdom
    lol, they have less than i did, even if you increase it to 1040

i say we if they disagree they should visit the toss-salad man

11. iritegood

Member iritegood GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Love the music going on in the background. And I really want to ride in a gigantic water-hosing truck right now.

In the US we get (well, I get) 8.5 hours a day.
    It really seems dumb to protest AGAINST a free education (education over there IS free, right?)

12. FrozenOne23
    OP

Netherlands
    Yea it's free, and yea, the music is great [​IMG]

13. Bruinbaard

Member Bruinbaard GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    Well you actually got to pice some schoolmoney and you've got to buy your own books. I'm at the moment on school from 8.30 to 15.00 regulary but when i get at home i still need to do a few hours of homework. So I ain't got much time for myself, freakin school.
    That's why I don't want more hours however I don't protest if Laks doesn't organises it.

14. xcalibur

United Kingdom
    i never got that... you have to rent your own schoolbooks for a whole year and pay a shit load of money for them
    i rememeber having to pay 250 gulden for mine
    which is about 80-90 quid
    which is about $160-180
    and i never did homework except for classes where the teacher would actually check it

15. jelbo

Member jelbo Ōkami!

Netherlands
    It's sad to see most kids just using this as a means to wreck stuff.. The last scene from the vid was funny though with the water [​IMG]

16. BigX

Member BigX GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    is it 1040 hours per semi year or for a full year?
    1040 equals 26 weeks of five days with 8 hours each!
    considering this for a half year this would be quite more hours than I had at any time (including my studying time)

17. azotyp

Member azotyp GBAtemp Maniac

Poland
    I watched this movie a bit the funniest part was that kids that say something in nederland and then say something like that (that part i dont understand [​IMG] ) .... muther f@cker. And they was gesticulating like rapers [​IMG]

18. laminaatplaat

Member laminaatplaat GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States

Reporter: What is going on here?
    girl: Riots man! they want more hours! ten hundred forty hours a year, are you crazy motherfucker?
    *hahahaha*
    girl:he?
    Reporter: So is that the reason why you have to talk like that?
    girl: yeah!
    reporter: why is that then?
    girl: Domanican republic, you know what I'm talking about?! You have (dont know what the hell she is talking about, go to school take some dutch classes) PRAH!!!

So now you understand why she is protesting against 1040 hours......... dont you? [​IMG]

the part about "ten hundred fory hours" is how she said it, and is wrong in dutch...

some nice pictures

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. FrozenOne23
    OP

Netherlands
    Great translation, it's exactly like that, love the pictures too [​IMG]

20. xcalibur

United Kingdom