Hardware Another Broken Xbox - E74 (1022)

Midnightzak

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've got an Xbox from 2008 that was given to me which currently isn't working. It's got the infamous "E 74" screen.

So far I have taken it apart, cleaned out the dust, and replaced the thermal compound. The unit still starts up to the "E 74" screen. I did the Eject/Sync combo to receive an error code of "1022".

The sticker was cut so I cannot send it in to Microsoft as they will see it as a "tampered" unit.

Wondering if there is anything I can do (without ordering replacement parts) or if this Xbox is just garbage now...

I'm not sure where to go from here, and I'm not sure what all the previous owner has tried. He isn't a techy person so he probably hasn't done much, and I love to software mod anything I can get my hands on, so feel free to throw those ideas at me!

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Zak

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if its from 2008 then its probably way past the warranty period anyway

E74 means the HANA chip is damaged or is making poor contact to the board, you could try the overheat method but its not guaranteed
heat gun method would be more reliable but the whole thing may need to be professionally reflowed

if you just want to get rid of it, you could just sell the whole thing for about $50-80

LeHaM

Trophies
XP
Country
do a heat gun reflow at 350C on the gpu and ram only heat the ram for 10~15 sec to avoid cooking them and heat the gpu for 20 sec. Preheat the board before moving in to reflow the chips and use NO-Clean flux, also when you have finished dont just cut the heat off, hold the heatgun about 1ft above the board so it can cool slowly.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
do a heat gun reflow at 350C on the gpu and ram only heat the ram for 10~15 sec to avoid cooking them and heat the gpu for 20 sec. Preheat the board before moving in to reflow the chips and use NO-Clean flux, also when you have finished dont just cut the heat off, hold the heatgun about 1ft above the board so it can cool slowly.
you are going to need about 1000F to do a proper reflow and move between gpu, and hana chip for 4 mins on that setting

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Wish I could use that for video editing lol